Does registering your used boat = taxes $$ [Archive] - BC Fishing Reports | Freshwater, Saltwater Reports

: Does registering your used boat = taxes $$

Hoochee
04-06-2008, 09:18 AM
I never registered my used 16ft when I bought it. I did get the registration transfer paper signed from the previous owner who did have it registered. I know how to register it, but just haven't. I am now on the verge of buying another boat and feel selling this older one will be easier with an updated registration in my name. Does any form of government collect taxes from the original purchase price and sale when I bought it. ???
Getting dinged for more taxes would cut into my new boat fund. :'(

Thanks for the advice..

11th Warrior
04-06-2008, 11:17 AM
You don't have to register your boat??

stone
04-06-2008, 06:21 PM
You register your boat to get a BC number at Service Canada. Service Canada does not collect taxes as far as I know. When I registered mine, I paid my taxes at the border and just filled in paperwork at Service Canada.

I know I don't have to register my 1436 jon boat, but I like the safety idea that if the authorities find my empty boat drifting in some lake that they at least know who they should be looking for...that's why I registered mine. It wasn't any hassle anyway.

jetboater
04-07-2008, 07:09 AM
as far as I am aware, if you import a boat from the US you will have to pay GST at the border, upon registering your boat in canada with services canada you will recieve a bill in the mail for the remaining PST that is owed on it... if you are buying a used boat in BC you will not have to pay PST again, just the first time it crosses the border... as far as registration # in BC, any boat over 12 feet is supposed to have them, you have 180days from the bill of sale date to register your boat... if you do not register it and coast guard catches you , you will face a $180 dollar fine, and have a certain amount of days to prove the boat has been registered...

Hoochee
04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
It sounds like it is a good idea to be registered, and it doesn't look like any taxes are collected if it is a BC bought boat. Is there any point in registering a boat I am going to put up to sell in about two weeks. I found a new better boat, better for fishing, and will likely be buying it this week. I will register it. I hate the idea of getting tagged by the coast guard for anything... :-\
Thanks again and see you on the water.

stone
04-07-2008, 09:10 AM
TNTmarine is right on the PST arrangement. I forgot that I had to tell them that I paid PST at the border and show them my receipt because it was a new boat.

warlo527
04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
How about a question about compliance labels. I imported a boat from the US, and it doesn't have the compliance label. I got the BC Number and was about to apply for compliance, but a boat dealer told me that inboards don't need compliance labels. Can anybody confirm that info? It's a 175 sportjet.

Thanks!

jetboater
04-14-2008, 12:25 PM
every new boat imported into canada will require a transport canada compliancy label... Only canadian dealers will be able to get this label.... if you come to the border without the label you might not be able to cross the border.it is a 50/50 chance on whether you will be able to cross...
A lot of manufacturers boats do not meet canadian compliancy... they meet US coast guard Compliancly... it has a lot to do with venting and fuel lines...

importing a new boat into canada can be a crap shoot...
All boats need compliancy labels if powered... if coast guard does an inspection you can recieve a fine if they are really picky...
unfortunately most inspectors look at thing differently from one another....

FIRE-FISH
04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
You can apply for a canadian Compliance Label by going online, thru Transport Canada i think. I brought a boat back from the US last fall, and it did have a US Coast Guard label, but a Canadian Compliance label is needed. All's you hafta do is fill out a couple of forms, with dimensions and such, include a couple of pictures of your boat showing specific angles, include $5 and send it in. Within a few weeks you will receive confirmation of your request. This will be good enought to show the authorities until you receive the actual "Label", which could take months and months, or even a year.

Good Luck! :beerchug:

warlo527
04-16-2008, 01:16 PM
thanks guys, i hate to beat this to death, but just got to get clarification. it was a used jet boat that i brought across. it doesn't even have a us compliance label on it. i understand the new boat concept, but a dealer up here..not tnt, told me that inboard jets don't need compliance labels. I am beginning to think this info is wrong.

Thanks fire fish for the info. I gathered basically the same info..was about to jump through the small hoop of dimensions, pics, etc, but when I was told inboard jets don't require them..i stopped. i got the bc number and think i am ahead of many boaters on the fraser that even bought their boats from up in canada. not been checked too many times for numbers/labels...but i will try my best to "comply".

jetboater
04-16-2008, 07:10 PM
thanks guys, i hate to beat this to death, but just got to get clarification. it was a used jet boat that i brought across. it doesn't even have a us compliance label on it. i understand the new boat concept, but a dealer up here..not tnt, told me that inboard jets don't need compliance labels. I am beginning to think this info is wrong.

Thanks fire fish for the info. I gathered basically the same info..was about to jump through the small hoop of dimensions, pics, etc, but when I was told inboard jets don't require them..i stopped. i got the bc number and think i am ahead of many boaters on the fraser that even bought their boats from up in canada. not been checked too many times for numbers/labels...but i will try my best to "comply".

whoever told you was wrong... all boats will need compliancy labels.

stone
04-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I found this information in Transport Canada's website that seems to indicate that Compliance Labels are no longer required on built or imported boats...can someone explain if I have interpreted it wrongly?

Transport Canada > Office of Boating Safety > Boating Safety Bulletins

Boating Safety Bulletins

Discontinuation of Single Vessel Label Program
Following consultations held as part of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 regulatory reform process, Marine Safety has concluded that the Single Vessel Label Program will be discontinued. In order to prevent causing any inconvenience to pleasure craft owners, it has been decided to discontinue the program before the regulations repealing the program come into effect.

As part of the phasing out process, pleasure craft that are built or imported for personal use will no longer be required to have a Compliance Notice. As a result, if you are in the process of building or importing your own pleasure craft, you are no longer required to obtain a Single Vessel Label from Transport Canada. Nevertheless, if you build or import a pleasure craft, you must ensure that it meets or exceeds the Construction Standards for Small Vessels TP 1332.

If you have bought a pleasure craft from a manufacturer or importer in Canada and it does not have a Compliance Notice, you should request one from the original manufacturer or importer. If you are unable to obtain a Compliance Notice in this manner, you need take no further action but should be able to demonstrate that you have made reasonable attempts to obtain one.

Pleasure craft built or imported after August 1, 1981 are required to have a Hull Serial Number (HIN). If your pleasure craft does not have one, you should request one from the original manufacturer or importer. If you are unable to obtain a HIN in this manner, you need take no further action but should be able to demonstrate that you have made reasonable attempts to obtain one.

It is important to note that nothing in this bulletin relieves a manufacturer or importer of the obligation to ensure, before the initial transfer of ownership, that the applicable Compliance Notice is attached to the pleasure craft and that it is marked with a HIN.

If you have attempted to obtain a Compliance Notice or HIN and were unable to do so, keep a record of the efforts you have made (e.g. letter, fax, e-mail or, in the case of requests by telephone, the dates and times and the names of persons with whom you have spoken) and Contact Us with this information

Website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/news/discont-single-vessel-label-prgm.htm

stone
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Just spoke with a very nice gentleman at Transport Canada Pacific Region (Marine), and he very nicely clarified it for me.

Basically, if you are importing a boat from the USA for your own use, ie. you're not a commercial importer bringing in several boats, then the Discontinuation of Single Vessel Label Program does apply to you. They are doing this because they have found many pleasure craft owners who have imported boats can no longer get a compliance label, especially if the manufacturer of their boat is no longer in business. So, you are supposed to make every effort to try and get a label, but if you can't, then he said "don't worry about it".

If you buy a boat from a major US manufacturer (like my Lowe jon boat), they will have the required Hull Identification Number on a plate with the US Coast Guard compliance statement on it. He said that to be honest, the only difference between the US and Canadian labels is that the US is in pounds and HP, while the Canadian is in kg and KW. ::) Also, manufacturers like Lowe build their boats according to the NMMA standards, which closely complies with both US and Canadian safety standards...so I'm golden even without a Canadian compliance label.

I did get a BC number for my boat anyway...I just thought it was a good safety thing to have and it costs nothing. :beerchug:

steve
04-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I think there is some confusion between a compliance label and a capacity label. An inboard boat is not require to have a capacity label but usually has a compliance label (just says that it meets canadian or US coast guard regulations). There is legislation that takes US and Canadian regulations at par at the moment however comercial operations will HAVE to follow canadian regulations which, as TNT said, deals with venting and fuel and requires a seperate inspection. Stone is correct with the discontinuation of the small vessel label program, however it must be shown that the owner of the boat has taken all possible avenues to obtain a compliance tag from the manufacturer for it is their responsibility to tag their boats, that said US regulations don't require compliance labels on inboard vessels due to the regulations to commercially produce boats. All you really need is to email the manufacture requesting a compliance tag and they will either send you one back with a tag in the mail or say you don't need/can't get one. As long as that email, which is submissable in court!, is retained you have shown an attempt to optain a compliance label and are exempt from displaying one.
The reason all this is comming about is there is a change in legislation coming down the pipe. It has started with transport of canada obtaining the vessel registration duties from Customs and will end with having to pay a fee for registering your vessel and RCMP having the ability to ticket and charge for certain offences under a criminal code instead of a customs fee. Soon it will be like registering your truck and the ticket offences have some legal leverage behind them like a liscence suspension or removal or unable to get insurance due to outstanding tickets, etc. Right now a ticket is just a fine and if you don't pay it there is nothing they can do about it. My wager is this will be in full effect within two to three years of the manditory operators card in 2009. At that point a new vessel labeling program will be in effect.

warlo527
04-26-2008, 08:54 PM
thanks very much for that post cascade...i thought there was more than just "you don't need a compliance label", but there is still some gray area! seems like we are moving towards the US as they need tabs like our insurance for boats!