BC Fishing Reports banner

Vanier Park Launch needs a refit!!!

9K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Sandbar Dog 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I don't know if any of you use the Vanier Park Launch at all but it is the most convenient launch for me and the ONLY boat launch for Vancouver. MacDonald Beach in Richmond has now become the place to go for launching and hauling out.

If you've ever used Vanier Park on a tide lower than 6 feet with a bigger rig, then you know EXACTLY what's wrong with this facility.

It is long overdue that the Vanier Park Ramps and Docks be redone and improved to a reasonable expectation of a facility that charges $18. As is, those ramps are poorly engineered and need BIG upgrades. Surely, the City of Vancouver must be able to spend some capital to improve what is there to something close to what MacDonald Beach has.

The Parks Board intends to eventually remove the Jericho Park Pier because of the deteriorating piles at a cost of $2 million. Imagine what a fraction of that could do to make Vanier an adequate launch facility...and then the parking fee would then be more than justified at Vanier.

As you all know, the problems with MacDonald Beach are few--the ramps ROCK.....however, there are other issues with using that facility. Namely the gates getting locked, your truck getting coated in a caustic gravel dust after sitting, having to navigate a river in low light with submerged obstacles etc etc.

As it stands, improvements to Vancouver's Vanier Park Launch are LONG overdue.

If you have an opinion on this issue, write an email to the Vancouver Parks Board Commissioners to let your voice be heard!

By the way, even if they got the wheels rolling now to work on the issue at Vanier---by the time all the I's get dotted and the T's get crossed with environmental assessments, funding, bidding processes, consultations, etc etc, it would be AT LEAST 2 years until ANYTHING happens and the shovels get in the ground.

If you want some action to start now, then by all means, get on this and email your concern for the facility and your desire to have the Vanier Park launch improved!

Email addresses are as follows...

aaron.jasper@vancouver.ca
sarah.blyth@vancouver.ca
constance.barnes@vancouver.ca
raj.hundal@vancouver.ca
stuart.mackinnon@vancouver.ca
igrobertson@telus.net
loretta.woodcock@vancouver.ca

Happy writing everyone!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well everyone...I'll illustrate my point!

Only $18......

Wait a minute..this tide is low...

Oh...here is the paved surface...

Oops..there's no water....tide is "too low"...if there ever was such a natural tide that was "too low"

#3 ·
Oh...but wait... this is Canada...we afford things right?

This facility is maintained alright..I have proof...here's evidence of the maintenance ghost...

Proof that when you work at the Parks Board you shouldn't throw stones...

Back your vehicle onto this maintained ramp/beach please.... (like those screws in your tires?)

Oh..you can tie your boat up here...if there were water that is...

#4 ·
This is my boat tie up fantasy..I call it "Gelcoat Nightmare"...we are supposed to tie our boats up here...if there were water that is...

I'm going to back my expensive truck and risk my whole day backing up onto this nice sand.. because I just paid $18....er....no I'm not...

But..since the facility SUCKS...this is only view my friends, family and I are going to see today...from shore...
got to love WORLD CLASS VANCOUVER...WE CAN HOST THE OLYMPICS, HAVE MASSIVE BIKE LANES on the Burrard Street Bridge, even Skateboard Parks for the kids to smoke crack and blaze a few roaches, but we can't have a boat launch which you can use on tides below 8 feet. Got to LOVE IT!

#5 ·
But..since the facility SUCKS...this is only view my friends, family and I are going to see today...from shore...
got to love WORLD CLASS VANCOUVER...WE CAN HOST THE OLYMPICS, HAVE MASSIVE BIKE LANES on the Burrard Street Bridge, even Skateboard Parks for the kids to smoke crack and blaze a few roaches, but we can't have a boat launch which you can use on tides below 8 feet. Got to LOVE IT!
Couldn't agree with you more FM. I jog by that depolorable facility 3 times a week and if the tide is out it looks especially bad. I know the docks are in sheeot shape as well as the "pavement"....it's ridiculous.

You should send these pics to Council AND the Parks Board.

#6 ·
Already done Pippen..and this is the response I got from Philip Josephs, Acting "Co-Director"

Thank you for your email concerning the Vanier Launching Ramp. Upgrades to the launch ramps have been made over the years. In 1995 floats were added to each ramp and extended to the edge of the harbour headline and the rock groyne at the west ramp was raised and extended to mitigate the amount of sand building up on the ramps. The ramps and floats are inspected monthly and repairs are made to the decking, toe rails, whaler boards, connecting pins, rub strips, and pile chain as needed.Scraping of the ramps is done on the lowest tides from April to June every year. In Nov. 2006 the west float had floatation added to correct listing and July 2007 the east float had floatation added to correct listing. Notwithstanding these improvements I agree your general comments that the ramp be better utilized if some changes were made to make it more accessable at low tides.

In this year's capital budget we have funds for a complete review of the Burrard Marina which will include the Vanier Launching Ramp. This includes drafting terms of reference, the hiring of a consultant, the preparation of draft plans to be reviewed by marina and boat launch users and the public and preparing a final report to the Park Board. At the end of the day we will be including a request to the Board for funds in the next capital plan for improvements at both facilities.

Regards,

Philip Josephs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Philip Josephs
Acting Co-Director
Stanley District
Vancouver Board of Parks & Recreation
2099 Beach Avenue,
Vancouver, B.C.
V6G 1Z4

Tel: (604) 257 8436 Fax: (604) 257 8501
e-mail: philip.josephs@vancouver.ca

www.vancouverparks.ca

#7 ·
And this is the response I got from Loretta Woodcock....

Thank you for your insights. I used to use that boat launch so I understand the condition U mention here.
I'm at my day job right now + unable to access my records, so will write U what I can recall around Burrard Marina.
Yours is the first request I've had to look at this launch since my tenure in 2002. There have been discussons to improve the boat floats, however that project did not make it thru the last 2 capital planning processes (public consultation process) as a result of competition with the Olympic facilities that were built on park land and playing fields.
At park board all our capital improvements such as U mention go thru a capital plan process that voters approve every 3 years (next one 2011)
We looked at making capital improvements to Burrard Marina however it was decided rather than piecemeal repairs, that the entire facility go thru a masterplanning process to define what would be repaired-rebuilt-demolished so that a final cost estimate would be put on the capital plan.
I will ask staff what cost estimates would be for launch repair + extension of west breakwater.
I will check into the status of the masterplan. There was a cost attached to this endeavour as this process involves extensive public process, however I can't recall what it is + if those dollars were approved in the 2008 capital plan.
Thank you for the time you have taken during your vacation to alert commissioners about this facility.
Loretta Woodcock

#8 ·
I suggest, that is any users on the forum really do give a hoot about this launch, please email these folks (check the lead post for email addresses) and send them a link to this thread.

There is garbage, crap, and riff raff everywhere at the launch now, a beach clean up needs to be undertaken, etc etc. As you can see, I received a very discouraging response from Mr. Philip Josephs...obviously a bureaucrat who cares not for my concerns.

Anyways, if you want a launch in Vancouver, if no one says anything, we may eventually not have a launch..because they'd rather spend money on bike lanes and everything else but a launch facility.

#10 ·
LOL! Yes, I am going to be getting a really nice report alright, but I can save them big dollars, you see, I've already done the hard part, maybe they can have a look at my pictures which are as good as a report......and see what monkeys can even see....WHY THE HECK hasn't something been done already?!

#12 ·
BUMP TO TOP!!!! If you haven't emailed already you should----if you use this ramp at all, you're ENTITLED to a better facility...YOUR TAX DOLLARS pay for this!!! (Not to mention the $18 you're paying for parking your truck and trailer!!!)

#13 ·
Just a quick heads up to anyone looking to head down and park down there. The Children's festival is on right now and there is not as much parking for trucks/trailers as normal. Given the long weekend coming up it may be a bit tight for parking this weekend.

#15 ·
Yup....that's Vancouver right by the Planetarium under Burrard bridge. I live a 2-3 minute walk from there and surprisngly enough you don't see many skids down here on Kits Point; I think it's too far from a bottle depot and they also can't afford to take the Aquabus from downtown.

You tend not to see too many junkies passed out on the launch.....as for drunk fisherman and completely loaded water skiers.....that's a whole other ball of wax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.