BC Fishing Reports banner

How long will smoked fish last in the fridge

56K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Pippen 
#1 ·
Ok hears the story, smoked some socks for a family xmas dinner on the 18, fresh from the smoker to the table. The rest went from the smoker to the fridge prbably with in a couple hours.(cooling) I zip locked a filet for my brother in law in Brandon and one for a friend on the am of the 19th. Over the course of the holiday's neither package left the fridge. I had a piece from one of the other filets last night and it kinda had a hint of fishy taste hidden in it. Is it possible it has spoiled already. I usually freeze it straight away and only take out a chunk for when it's needed, so I never really put much thought into shelf life in the fridge. Should I risk sending it or just do up another batch?
Cheers,
CD

#2 ·
Depends on if you salt cured it before you smoked it and for how long? Once anything is salt cured it pretty much takes care of any issues and lasts a long time. If you just smoked it however it won't last a real long time and adding that little bit of heat during smoking justs speeds up it's fridge life(shortens it).......That has been my experience with smoked meat of any kind.....:2cents:

#4 ·
Hey Drifter.....
I have had smoked fish in the fridge for a week or so and no issues. A couple of days in the fridge shouldn't make it go off?? When I do a big batch I usually vascuum seal it and freeze it, it'll keep for months and taste as fresh as "out of the smoker" that way.
Fraser

#5 ·
I usually do the same Fraser, but fish usually does'nt last that long once it's out of the freezer as it seems to disappear in short order. It's day 12 now and if I were to ship it it would be there on day 15, so I'm thinking I'll just do up another filet or two for the bro.
Cheers

#7 ·
Sounds like its ok to freeze and keep.I would do up a new batch to send.I've found that plastic is the worst for temp storage in the fridge.It tends to make the fish sweat.At the very least wrap in paper towel first.Paper towel and a brown paper bag is best I find.Usually try to vac-seal and freeze with-in a week.

#8 ·
Natives have air dried and smoked fish for centuries. They used the provisions to sustain themselves through the winters and had only the outdoors as a refrigerator. Smoking (salt brine or not) is an ancient form of preserving and is generally pretty healthy for long periods of time. Keeping the smoked product dry is the only real requirement.

#9 ·
Thanks Prof. The air dried fish I have come across from the guys I know comes out pretty much like jerky, not much moisture left in the meat at all. I would assume this would help prevent it from spoiling as the lack of moisture and the salt doesn't promote the bacterial growth. With the family brine we go almost 3 to1 sweets to salt, I am wondering about the sugars in the meat and the moisture from the fridge combining for a bug smorgass board. it is my own fault for sure for not freezeing it imediately. I did eat some of it on Fri pm, as i figured if anyone is going to get sick it better be me. It did have a fishy after taste, but as of this am still fine, oh wait what's that growling in the tummy. ;)
Cheers and Happy New Year guy's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.