BC Fishing Reports banner

Attn: Strurgeon enthusiasts, what fishfinder do you use?

17K views 59 replies 18 participants last post by  Shaolinzulu 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading the old fishfinder, but would like some advice on models that people who specifically go after sturgeon use. I'm not looking for something that says, "Drop your anchor here and you'll hook a 9 footer in 7.25 minutes..." but rather something that has features you guys find helpful in locating spots/holes, terrain, etc... I've also heard people talk about actually seeing fish on the bottom. Is this true or a fishing tale/tail???? Pun intended :)

#33 ·
The 898 CX HD Si is now mounted, and I tried it out for one day. IT works great, and is easy to use. While mounting the transducer seemed loose in the bracket. Even when you tighten it up good, it was sloppy front to back. I recall Hendy mentioning the same thing. I put a thicker washer on one side of the pin and now it's tight. In the CD that came with the unit, it mentions this loosey fell to it, and it is supposed to be like that which will allow it to kick up. I might remove the washer and go back to the loosey feeling of it. I don't want it to break off if I hit something (like a piece of wood). ALso it doesnt register depth at full speed even though I have it angled down slightly which worked for my other unit. I can fix that I'm sure.
Steveston Marine in Vancouver had the unit on sale for 1400. THis is as good as any price I've seen online anywhere. Normally Steveston has them on for 1700. Even at the boat show, they were only offering for 1500. Boght the Navionics Gold card, and it covers the Fraser up to the Harrison, and all the way up the Harrison R. into the lake. Not sure if I need the map for the rest of the Fraser as I don't go around chilliwack very often. All together it was 1800 with the card, and taxes.

#34 · (Edited)
My 1197cSI reads depth at any speed, I had to play with the position of my ducer to get it to read right. Yours might be to high while on plane and coming out of the clean water. Navionics for the upper Fraser is a waste of money, mine shows I'm running on dry land half the time. I just save my tracks and between that reference and following my nose I haven't had an issue. Steveston does have some good prices on certain things, I got my Humminbird there also. Oh and loose is good, that's the way I like mine.

#37 ·
my 898 says 1.6feet when i hit high speed in rough water. When it is flat calm it registers the depth. 2 things. My boat is flat bottom. It's got ribs, but no deadrise. Also, it lists to the left while up on plane slightly. My transducer is on the right side, so I suspect it could be better if it were on the left, since listing to the left brings the transducer closer to the surface.....if that makes any sense. I'm gonna move it over and report back.

#42 ·
I just phone Humminbird. Apparently the side imaging transducer is only good for slower speeds. I was told in order to pick up bottom at higher speeds and in rough water I should order a second transducer, it is not a side imaging transducer so less expensive. Also required is a mounting kit, and the Y-Cable. So I ordered it. Total with shipping is about 150 bucks. I hope this works.
I thought I was done spending money this year. GRRRRRrrrrr!:mad:

#46 ·
Strange how my 798 SI Trans reads the depth at any speed , Even the low water alarm goes off at 30 mph , Although when using Si you've got to remember to match the chart speed to the boat speed , seems to works best around 3-5 mph .

Having said that I might pick up a second Transducer someday .

Some good videos on Youtube as well .

#48 ·
Thanks for the email. I emailed Greg. He got back to me pretty quick. I ended up mounting the transducer today on the other side.
I didn't think it was possible, but I made a tiny modification and all is set good now.
Even added a couple of beer... I mean drink holders, and fixed a nagging trailer light problem. Off to Africa tomorrow night, so I have time for a quick fish in the morning to test out the double transducer set up. I'm just not sure about how the second one works. Does the fish finder automatically detect it? Will I have to choose from the high speed one, and the side imaging one depending on if I'm cruising, or looking for fish??
I guess I'll see.

#52 ·
The transdusers work automatically together, the little one is only used for reading depth at speed and the big one is for scanning fish or side imaging, at least that's how it was explained to me. My mounting is basically the same, except I had to get another mounting plate welded on the transom. Looks good Driller, I guess there's no time for fishing in Africa, on that Monster Fish show he catches some crazy fish there, would be cool to catch some of them.

#54 ·
Was just rereading this thread, I should have said something earlier. You may want to consider mounting your second transducer inside the hull near the back of course, where there is clean water running under the hull. It will shoot right thru the aluminum if you're only using it for depth. Bonus is its protected and not hanging off the back waiting to be ripped off. The guys that have done this epoxied it to the hull. Something to think about anyway.

#55 ·
That is a great idea extra grumpy. The key ,I assume, would be to get a good solid clean set of apoxy
to the hull. Would there be any interference when moving about and dropping things in the boat?

Cheers Marko

#56 ·
Based on what I've read on various forums it works quite well, the one function that does not work is side imaging in a thru hull set up. You could probably test going thru hull by using something less permanent at first, a plastercine of some sort pressed into place with the ducer pressed into it. Or some people have used a tube sealed against the bottom of the hull four inches high filled with mineral oil, then drop the ducer into it. Epoxy is best, if you don't have a floor above the hull then you'll have to design something to cover the transducer so you're not tripping over it.

#57 ·
I ran the transducer off my old Eagle on the inside of my Ungava, sealed it to the bottom with silicone and it worked very well for depth...mostly ran on the Fraser with it. The only drawback was sensitivity on lakes at greater depths...couldn't see the thermocline. But for the most part it worked really well...the silicon stuck it down pretty solid as the old transducer was perfectly flat and leant well for this application. As Extra Grumpy said...it's a great option.:cheers:

#58 ·
So I finally got my transducer to read bottom again at high speed. All I needed to do was lower the the unit down a bit so it got a good flow of water across it and it works like a charm again. I knew it had to be something to do with the transducer as it had always worked before but I was messing with it a little when I installed my stomp grate over the off season and I obviously moved it out of a decent position to read bottom at speed. For those with the same issue be sure to set your chart speed a little higher than normal and set it at 200 kHz as it will send the readings back with more detail.

#59 ·
Hello all, Just picked up a Lowrance HDS 7 Gen Touch with the LSS-2 transducer and was wondering if anyones installed one of these with what kinda results. Is it worth it to take it to a shop for install,would like to avoid spending more and put that money to a winch my back is already sore just thinking about pulling up my anchor. :thumbup:

#60 ·
I've never installed a HDS but I have done a few humminbirds. It's a lot easier than what you might think. One thing to keep in mind is leave yourself a good chunk of time to do it right. Don't rush through and have wires and such in places you don't want them. Check your tools, sealers and whatever you will need before you start.
Good luck with the install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.