BC Fishing Reports banner

Attn: Strurgeon enthusiasts, what fishfinder do you use?

17K views 59 replies 18 participants last post by  Shaolinzulu 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading the old fishfinder, but would like some advice on models that people who specifically go after sturgeon use. I'm not looking for something that says, "Drop your anchor here and you'll hook a 9 footer in 7.25 minutes..." but rather something that has features you guys find helpful in locating spots/holes, terrain, etc... I've also heard people talk about actually seeing fish on the bottom. Is this true or a fishing tale/tail???? Pun intended :)

#2 · (Edited)
It would depend on budget ? With the side imaging units you can actually see Sturgeon laid on the bottom , Heres an example with a group of Sturgeon on the right side of the screen .

Electronic device Technology Electronics Screen Display device

I bought the smaller version of this model and it was about $1000 , I think thats about the cheapest you can get with side imaging , Once you learn how to read the screen it does become a big advantage .

#5 · (Edited)
Electronic device Technology Electronics Screen Marine electronics
I have the 798ci HD Combo and love it. Catch rate for various species has increased since the purchase in April. Trolled over this, adjusted rigger depth on for second pass and whammo. Highly recommended. Although I am toying with the idea of upgrading to the 800 series simply for the larger screen. A bit hefty at the $1500 range though...

#9 ·
I have the 798ciHD as well and I love it. It took me a little bit to figure out exactly what to look for when hunting sturgeon but I took a bunch of clients out with a guide one day who had the same unit, only the larger screen, and he taught me a bunch of stuff. I also posted a link to an article written by Vic from STS Guiding that has a couple of screen shots, specifically from a Humminbird unit, showing what to look for when hunting sturgeon.
http://guidebc.com/articles/strategiesforsturgeon.asp

#11 ·
I have the Humminbird 798 as well with gps and love the unit. I also purchased the navionics chart sd card for it.

#14 · (Edited)
I also have the older non HD Huminbird 798 with the Navionics Canadian Lake HotMaps Premium 09. The map is good for most lakes in BC that will allow boats with motors. It also covers the Fraser from Near Peg Bar to a large Local area of the Strait of Georgia also the full Harrison River. Only wish the include a way to easily edit map way-points on the home computer like my Garmin Blue charts included. Huminbird does have a text based editor that doesn't show the position on a map to give reference to the position.
If I was to get a new one I would spend the Mooch O extra dollars on the HDS 8 Gen 2 and add the structure scanII. It seems to show more details.:2cents:
FOCB

#15 ·
FOCB do you recall if your hotmaps runs up howe sound is it more just the area where the fraser meets the straight? I fish Van Harbour and Howe Sound as well but didn't think hotmaps would cover these areas. Sure would be nice to have the Lakes, Local Fraser and these areas of the chuck in one card.

#16 ·
I didn't realize these things could be so expensive! I'd love the side scan and faster processor but I truly don't think I can justify spending 2500 bucks. Well, not this year anyway.::)
It'd be a good time at the sportsman show to look at the different models and ask some questions.

#22 ·
I just went through all of the replies. To sum it up, we have 3 units mentioned.
Lowrence HDS-7
Lowrence HDS-8 Generation 2 with Structure Scan II
Hummingbird 798ci HD

My question is, Do these units all have structure scan built in, or is structure scan (or side scan is what I mean), generally something you would add after as an extra? I know that a maps chip is extra, but I have also seen these long rectangular transducers and I'm not sure what those are for. I'd like to upgrade my electronics, but still don't know enough about it. I thought I saw a side scan option where you needed to buy and extra processor, and mount it in the boat. Almost like an amp for a car stereo. It's a little mind boggling.

#24 ·
Humminbird comes with the side imaging/structure scan built in, nothing extra to buy & nothing unusual about the transducer. I have an 1197cSI, I love it. It didn't originally come with structure scan but with the free software updates it now has that feature. Lowrance makes a great product too, but I'm pleased with my Humminbird and the customer support.

#26 ·
Somewhere on the humminbird site there is a video of that transducer, it is freaking huge! It is a motorized arm that articulates out and then down. I don't know for sure but it doesn't look like you can use it at any speed, the water would rip it off.

I just noticed the Lowrance Gen 2 Touch models have structurescan II integrated so you don't have to mount another box.

I have been bacck and forth on which one to buy, Probley wait for the new year.

#28 ·
Too bad you weren't heading to the show today as Vic from STS is working the Humminbird booth today and he could really give you some good insight on those units as he has used both the Lowrance and Humminbird units. I can tell you from my time on his boat with him that I prodded him with a ton of questions about the Humminbird unit and he likes the Humminbird unit better.

#30 ·
I went to the humminbird booth. Vic wasn't there. Went to the Lowrance booth. Looked at the 798 CI HD SI, and the Generation 2 HDS 7 touch screen. I think the Lowrance is a very nice unit, but the transducer is huge! Sorry, the 2nd transducer. You need 2 for this unit. The side scan transducer is almost a foot long. Obviously this is what creates such a crisp image. The price is just too much for me. I think the unit was close to 1500 give or take, the transducer is 300 ! Plus the map card.
The humminbird was on sale at the Steveston marine booth. The 798 c hd si. C not CI. MEaning external antenna for the gps. Not for me. it was 900 though.
I wish Vic would have been there I would have enjoyed chatting.

I heard the 798 model from humminbird is better than the larger 898 etc due to the LED screen?

Anyway I got out of the show with only spending 50 bucks to renew my BC outdoors magazine. The girls were friendly at the booth. Stop in and say Hi.

#31 · (Edited)
The humminbird was on sale at the Steveston marine booth. The 798 c hd si. C not CI. MEaning external antenna for the gps. Not for me. it was 900 though.
I wish Vic would have been there I would have enjoyed chatting.

Anyway I got out of the show with only spending 50 bucks to renew my BC outdoors magazine. The girls were friendly at the booth. Stop in and say Hi.
Hahaha I was there on Friday and they got me too.

At the last sturgeon group fishout I got chatting with one of the guys that has the external GPS and it seems much better than the internal. Much more accurate and my internal takes awhile for the signal to load.

If you don't make a purchase by the time the season starts I gotta get you out on my boat Driller to check out my finder. Nothing like seeing it in action out in our element to get the bigger picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.