BC Fishing Reports banner

Best Saltwater tackle storage

8K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  leonidus 
#1 ·
I know everyone has their personal preferences for tackle storage. I have searched the tackle storage threads but no real new and improved solutions. I was wondering if some of the great organized fishermen could post some Picts and suggestions for a good tackle storage solutions. I know that one box probably won't do it, so what are the combinations that work for other guys. Soft side, hard case, don't care, just need room for all the flashers, spoons, plugs and other gear. I am currently using a couple of hard boxes but am not satisfied with the arrangement. What are the very experienced guys and guides using. I know a lot is personal preferences but there has to be some common ground for tackle storage.

Cheers Oly,

#2 ·
I still manage to get what I need into one older plastic box with 3 trays, trays are for hoochies and teaser heads., then spoons, last one is hooks, swivels,nail-cutters,tooth-pics,pliers, knife, sharpening file and a few odd lures. In the bottom are the flashers wrapped in an old towel, plugs go in kids socks. down-rigger clips, mooching weights, small scale and tape measure. The selection varies depending on the type of Salmon available.
End of the day most of the lures and flashers get washed and put out to dry and box is left open a few days to prevent the dreaded green corrosion on all the expensive little trinkets. 6-8 hours in the boat and same to get ready and the clean-up. Why don't we just Golf?

#4 ·
I've gotta go with Samnjoe on this one. I bought a mess of the plano's with the red clips and they are great for small stuff organization. Just dont forget to rinse and dry your gear for storage. Those boxes dont let moisture in or out. I also went to Homesense a while back and picked up some larger locking lid tupperwares for things like flashers, dodgers, bait knife and nick nacks on the cheap. Just look for locking lids and vapor seals to keep it all tarnish free, no need to buy great big brand name stuff. The tacklebox is a lot like a kitchen if you think about it.
Food storage containers Product Rectangle Plastic Bread pan

#5 ·
I picked up a SpiderWire tackle bag, a couple extra trays and I can swap out the trays that I need.... All my flashers fit in the front pocket! and it has a windowed inside pocket that I put maps and and copies of my License in.... It's been a great buy so far.

#7 ·
Have heard storing spoons over the winter in engine coolant keeps them from corroding. Something about the anti corrosives that protect the insides of the motor keeping the spoons from rusting? Anyone with experience?

I just finished cleaning a bunch of rusty spoons and hooks by soaking in vinegar with good results. YMMV

#8 ·
I haven't tried that method but I do use WD40 on all my spoons.....swivels etc. I give them a rinse in fresh water then lay them out on some paper towel and give them a good spray. Then I just give them a quick wipe and put them back in my Plano boxes. I do it on my swivels and bead chains on flashers as well.....even the whole flasher. If the gear is going away for the season then I remove the hooks on things like teaser rigs and hootchies and store them seperate and retie them when I'm going out again......works for me.:cheers:

#10 ·
Thats what I ended up using. Pretty happy with it so far but you're right ReelSlim, they do take up some extra room not too bad if you have lots of storage, but when storage is limited it becomes a problem if you have to leave a couple at home or on shore at camp. So far it has worked better than the old tackle boxes though.

#11 ·
Like Samnjoe, I use clear Plano boxes, so I can see what's in there. I bring the kitchen sink when I go out, so I've got lots of them. I tie a pile of rigs for differen't uses on the water and store them on o pool noodle you can get anywhere. Buy the thick ones which are about 5 inches in diameter. Cut a section of the pool noodle about a foot long, then cut slots about 1 inch apart and 1 inch deep into the pool noodle. You can't see the slots very easy after you cut them, so I run a black permanent marker back and forth on the slot and they're easy to see.
Put the swivel end of the rig into the slot and wind the rest of the rig onto the noodle and sink the hooks into the foam noodle. All these rigs stay in place and never tangle, come off. Easy to get off, just grab the hook and unwind and back to fishing quickly. (I hate fooling around with rigs of any sort while on the water.
For my Hali rigs, I use 400 lb mono, circle hooks, swivel. I use 4 - 5 feet of line for the rig and wrap them in a coil and finish off with a few twists of the line at the swivel end. What works good for me is a 4" binder with the clear plastic sheets in the binder. (The kind of binder you had in school. Mine has a velcro closure so it stays closed until I want it opened). I put a bunch of hali rigs in the plastic sheets and they store well and easy to get out and change rigs when the dogs chafe your line.
Thats what I use and works well, hope this improves some of your tackle storage systems or maybe someone has something better that I haven't thought of or seen.
Dwayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.