BC Fishing Reports banner

Flasher on downrigger ball

18K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  BigfishMike 
#1 ·
Fishing for lakers the other day, thought Id try a flasher off the downrigger ball. The fishing had slowed, both downriggers were set at 45 feet with the same small rapala. The setup with the flasher began picking up fish. Over the next 2 hours the side with the flasher tagged 5 more lakers, the setup without got none.

Certainly not a definative test but worth trying again next time I'm out.

Flasher was attached directly to the ball. It was a small 3 color in lime green, yellow and red, with a silver back.

3" jointed rapala was 15 feet behind the flasher.

Next round I will use 3 feet of line on the flasher to allow a bit more movement.

#2 ·
This sounds a lot like down rigging for sockeye using dummy flashers to get their attention. Running another on the other will probably help. I haven't done much down rigging for anything but salmon but would like to start. I'm in Abby and was thinking of down rigging for those big dollies.

#8 ·
Same as Bret I use a cone zone attached to the fin on the 12lb ball and put the release clip 3 feet above and 6 feet behind the flasher , if you take off the last flasher it will not be such a drag in the watter and use the last largest cone on the othere side of the boat .
Hopes this helps

#12 ·
--I use the Macs Flash lite on the downrigger balls. Very little drag and good at slow speeds.
--Haven't taken them off since I put them on early in the season. They are a bit beat up now.
--Vary the length of line back to lure depending on depth and how agressive the fish are... main target is kokanee but as I said I haven't taken them off of the downrigger since I put them on.
--I don't like running flasher dodger styles as they produce a lot of drag, especially when fishing 85+ ft depth. Not as big of a deal when shallow.
--Also don't like longer leader to dodger or flasher as when fishing deep I like to drop the weight fairly fast which can cause tangles. Again when fishing deep lines with a dodger the movement makes it difficult to see hits on the line from small fish that may not trigger a clip release.

#13 ·
I just started doing this for Kokanee fishing. I was using a coyote spoon as a 'flasher' ahead of a wedding band or tiny spoon to get more flash and action to the lure. But doing the flasher on the downrigger ball on a short leash, then a few feet up on the cable clip in my lure with a short set back allows me to fish no resistance after popping off a fish from the rigger. Getting the best fight out of the little guys.

I will keep playing with the lengths and trolling speeds to get it dialed this spring. Getting cabin fever...

#14 · (Edited)
I was using a coyote spoon as a 'flasher' ahead of a wedding band or tiny spoon to get more flash and action to the lure.
Same here, use BIG old spoons or plugs - I've noticed that it really seems to help my hookup ratio. Better lure action, and more attraction - what's not to love?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.