BC Fishing Reports banner

Haida Gwaii Steelhead

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  curmudgeon 
#1 ·
Hey Guys!

I'm heading out to Haida Gwaii at the end of July to do a bit of fishing. I have never been there before and would really like to try for some fresh water steelhead in Pallant Creek.

I am aware that between September-May (I may have the exact months wrong, I don't have my regulation book with me at the moment) it is considered a class II water, and the necessity of having a steelhead stamp at those times.

However, are there even steelhead in the creek around July-August. If so how should I target them using a fly rod? Originally I was thinking of buying a 13 ft spey rod (9wt) but I don't want to get anything before I am sure. (Would a beefed up 6 wt do the job?)

Also, what type of fly's would be best to use?

On another note, does anyone have experience with free diving for Dungeness crabs around Moresby Camp/Alliford bay area?

#5 ·
Bret:

Thanks a ton for the info on the crabs. I've been trying to figure out for a while now, and no one has really mentioned too much about the topic (I was assuming that no one wanted to let a mainlander in on all the secrets. XD)

As of lately I found out that perhaps Coho may be better in the southern part of the island rather then steelhead.

#7 ·
Just got back from Haida Gwaii this week. I fished several rivers including the Tlell and the Yakoun. Caught some Cutties in the estuaries and saw some Jack Chinook. Their Chinook return in June and July. I don't believe that they get any summer run steelhead.

I've fished the Yakoun and the Tlell in the winter and hit Winter Run Steelhead in both rivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.