BC Fishing Reports banner

Northern BC Char

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  gunner3006 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Looking for some info for fishing from Prince George to smithers. Love fishing for them when there up top. I've been using a Gibbs #5 spoon in 20' - 40' of water. Any one else enjoy chasing these tastey treats.

Cheers
Chadd

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
My best success with lake trout is with using what is commonly considered saltwater gear. In warmer weather downriggers are a big aid as lakers are usually fairly deep in the summer (65- 85ft). I often use a triangular dummy flasher like a Hot Spot Agitator or Big Al's Fish Flash with a large spoon above it. My favourite spoon is a size 6 or 7 Les Davis Canadian Wonder spoon in a stainless/chrome finish. Another good Laker spoon is a plastic salmon spoon called the Ross Swimmertail. The plastic Swimmertail spoon outproduces the plastic Apex spoon for Lakers In my opinion. However, the Apex spoon is also a good producer for Lakers. If using an Apex spoon, I will often rig it behind an old metal dodger for added action and attraction. Old plastic Lucky Louie plugs are killers, as are the wooden Lyman plugs produced in BC.

If you don't have downriggers, jigging a 4 inch buzz bomb is also extremely effective for lakers.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
My best success with lake trout is with using what is commonly considered saltwater gear.
Heya TheBigGuy, didn't know you fished freshwater too. My experience is similar, as I've only recently started to use Saltwater gear in freshwater.

My inital findings are that coho killers (or similar long needlefish type spoons) produce fish at this time of year. At this (colder) time of year, April/May, I'm seeing fish suspended in an average of 35'.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Salted.

I grew up living on St. Marys Lake on Saltspring, so I've spent a lot of my life fishing lakes. I was never a big river fisher as I always preferred fishing out of a boat. During the summer I would often go to the big lakes such as Quesnell. Shuswap, or Kootenay to fish for Lakers and Rainbows. I even did one trip to the Territories and enjoyed fishing for Lakers there as well. Shoot me a PM salted as my family still has a place on SS, so we may know some of the same people over there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.