BC Fishing Reports banner

The SSBC...why not?

18K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  curmudgeon 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all...I've been wondering about this for a while now, and since we've now formed this new section devoted to the SSBC here on our site, it seems the perfect time to ask the quesion...

Why don't more people join up, get involved, go to the AGM meetings, etc, etc...?

I'll get it started...With respect to AGM meetings, I always really want to go but for me it seems they are at the worst time...a saturday morning or afternoon??? Gawd knows the wife is expecting me to get things done around the house, a brunch in the morning, some shopping, fix this, take care of that, help her with this, etc...ive missed more agm's than I can remember just because they were held on the first day of the week that I wasn't working and there is no way i could justify taking off for a few hours on a day when family is depending on me to take care of things I couldn't do during the workweek.

That said, the SSBC does deserve our support and effort when we can make it, so tell us what keeps you from providing that support, or, if you are a member, or donate, or volunteer, etc, tell us what you wish were different or preventing you from doing more.

All opinions welcome, please tell us what you think.

Thanks.

:cheers:

See less See more
#3 ·
"Steelhead Society of British Columbia"...what does it do? Lots, other than just plain fighting for the fish, their habitat and our right to fish for them, they do habitat restoration, fundraisers, education, sit on advisory boards, etc, etc, etc, etc...generally they protect rivers and steelhead all over the province.

They fight to protect what we love to do.

Check out their website GM19, look into it...

:cheers:

#4 ·
The SSBC was founded by passionate people with hopes of protecting the watersheds which sustain the incredible populations of Steelhead. However, the SSBC's efforts have met up with an undefeatable foe - the all mighty dollar. I'm familiar with some of the studies done by the SS which revealed one of the major culprits of low Thompson Steelhead survival = water draw down from the Nicola - low water levels for the fry, increased water temperatures, a lack of screens on the intake pipes etc.
These studies revealed the smoking gun, yet to this day nothing has been done to resolve the problem. Why? The farmers who draw from the Nicola, have more economic influence than the fish.
I have spoken with past members of the SSBC and they could no longer continue to bash their heads against the wall.
It's another gross realilty of human existence - our consumption rates and need for profit take too much from the environment for it to remain unaltered. The extinction of the Thompson River Steelhead will be another example of the "cost of business".

#5 ·
I first joined ssbc in the early 70's, when I lived in North Vancouver. Just made sense as they were the only organization looking out for Steelhead and I was an addicted Steelhead Bum. Attended the AGM on a regular basis. It was a worthwhile endeavor as they gave updates on projects and had wonderful auctions.
In the early 90's I moved to Vancouver Island. I transferred my membership to the Cowichan ssbc group. I drove the Malahat in horrific weather to attend meetings at the logging museum. Quit attending the AGM as it was too much of a trek and I was raising 2 young boys.
Unfortunately, The Cowichan Group folded and it doesn't look like it will be reborn. If there was a chapter within easy driving distance, I would renew my membership in a heartbeat.
In spite of a small spot of bad publicity, the ssbc did good things and helped assert the rights of recreational anglers. I would urge any angler who lives in an area with assbc chapter to start attending meetings and get involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.