BC Fishing Reports banner

Cabo San Lucas trip

8K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Sr SQ 
#1 ·
After hearing stories from 2 different clients of the great fishing in the Los Cabos area i decided to try and fullfill a life long dream to catch a Marlin.

The famous arches at the entrance to the harbour

Our first morning out

Weapons of mass destruction

We found the porpoises and got into a hot bite on "football" Yellowfin Tunas with lots of doubles and then............. there he is!

A dream come true. Man those fish pull hard with multiple jumps

After that my buddy lands a nice Bull Dorado. He's so tired that his wife had to hold it up for a pic.

The boat we went on with it's flags flying

At the end of the day the Pelicans steal the live bait right out of the live well

Day 2
Started out on another hot Tuna bite with my buddy landing a real nice Yellowfin after an hour- those fish are awesome eaters as well as good sport

Same fish

Oh yeah, and after that yours truly got lucky again on the cast live bait - it was crazy watching it take the big Sardine on the surface 40 feet behind the boat. All you see is a big white mouth with it's bill sticking up

The flags for day 2.

On the last day we went on a rocket called the "Slippery Lizzard"

running over 40 miles up the coast looking for the main body of Striped Marlin that were late due to the El Nino. Unfortunately my buddy was very sick from eating too spicy food the night before and made me reel in all the fish plus he couldn't even take pics as he got dizzy looking into the camera. We caught a dozen "schoolie" Dorado and i lost a Striped Marlin and a dandy Blue Marlin that was estimated by the Captain @ 300 lbs :eek: after a 40 minute battle. The power of that fish was incredible - i was almost happy that it was gone.
The flags say it all.

In all it was a great trip with temps in the 30's everyday and cheap liquor and i will be back - may tow my own boat down there next year.

See less See more
#2 ·
Pretty wild fishing, congrads ! Man those yellowfin pics makes me hungry. ..lol

So what kind of $ for a trip in Cabo? We're going to be down coast around Manzanillo in a couple months. I'd going to try some beach fishing. Maybe a charter - dunno. ..

#5 ·
Because it's a lot slower down there this year i got most of the 8 hr trips we went on for $ 450 - $ 550 US cash - generally $ 150 to $ 200 more per day. If you're thinking about chartering, i usually go down to the docks when the boats come in and see which boats are the "consistant catchers". These are the boats to try and fill any of their empty days for cash. This is a common thing shopping tactic worldwide- i meet all kinds of them at our Marina.

Have a great trip :cheers:

#3 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience and photos with us! Looks like you had an awesome time! Did you happen to bring home those fish to hang on your wall? FOCB and I went to Manzanillo a couple of times - (nice and relaxing) and of course went fishing!
Looks like we'll have to make it up to Cabo sometime - looks beautiful! :thumbup:

#6 ·
It was an awesome time.I didn't bring home any fish but i am contemplating purchasing a fibreglass replica but with Christmas spending coming that may be on hold for a while. Cabo is truely beautiful but is Whistler expensive but outside the city there are decent deals.

#9 ·
I didn't request hooking my own because the fish were late and it was a lot slower than it should have been for that time of year...... next year!

...understandable. Two billfish to the boat is still quite respectable, although i know they count billfish in the teens on some days down there when the bite's on. How many billfish did you raise? Any sailfish? Makes me miss my stint running a sportfish charter boat down in Costa Rica. Thanks for posting the pics and details of what looks like an awesome trip. :thumbup:

#10 ·
We didn't see any Sails but raised 9 Striped Marlin and 1 Blue for 3 days. Decent but i was hoping to hit the arrival of the main body. I had 2 different clients last year tell me about raising 15 to 20 a day. One captain i booked with but was cancelled had tagged 20 Stripes on Nov 3rd last year. :eek:

#12 ·
You got quite the catch over there, was it all catch and release? As for fish quotas go, how does it work? Would you know what fish the locals prefer to eat?

Ill be back down to mexico in march, your pictures are making me ancy. Last time I was down there, the guys advertising fishing adventures looked pretty shady, any advise on who to go with, or what to look for when choosing who to go with?

Thanks SHH

#14 ·
We got the crew to release all Billfish. The Tuna and Dorado are so plentifull that the crew wanted to keep all they could get (i'm sure they were selling them). We kept the fillets of a couple of Yellowfin Tuna and half of a Dorado fillet. I believe that the limit was 2 per person of both species. There were a lot of shady trip sellers - some didn't even have boats to book, just take the deposits and run. I did quite a bit of research on another fishing message board that specializes in pelagic fishing (PM me if you want a link) and prebooked with the boats with the good reputations. It's like everywhere, including Tofino that there are some charter operators that shouldn't be in the business so you have to look for the "highliners" and not assume that all boats are the same - production wise. :peace:

#17 ·
Good to see that Murray is still alive and kicking with all his heatlh problems over the last few years. It's sure a lot of fun yarding on the yellowfin tuna's. The Dorado are pretty cool also when you have them on and jumping.
Nice to see you guys had a good trip.

#20 ·
Those are some awesome pics Tofinoguy, that Tuna must have tired you out.
Of all the fishing I have done I must say the blue water stuff get me the most excited. I have fished for bill fish in both the Southern Pacific and the Caribbean and believe its something every avid fisherman should try at least once. The power those warm water fish have is incredible.
I was fortunate enough to get my son out on his 13th birthday last year for sails off of Cancun where we landed 4 and hooked and lost another 5 pitching live Cigar minnows to them with fairly light gear. My son and I had a double on, it was without doubt the most intense fishing I've ever done.

#21 ·
No kidding, Sr SQ. I've been a professional fishing guide for 23 years and caught a lot of fish in my days but those warm water fish surprised me with their power! :eek: I had gone blue water fishing before without success but i'm hooked now! To the point of considering trailering one of my boats down there for the winter so i can go a lot more often.

#27 ·
boxing day off Cabo

I was going to Cabo over christmas so I got some info from Tofinoguy and booked boxing day 2009 on the baharaider. Two of us and Antonio with his deckhand Gabriel going out for the day. The weather is fine for us that time of year 28 or so degrees and sunny, with lots of mexicans in down coats.
We trolled these giant hoochie looking lures right on the surface in the wake of the boat, or when we spotted a striper on the surface, stopped and cast live bait at them. We didn't hit any this way just yet. There wasn't much action this day for us or anyone on the radio until about noon. Then Grant picked up a nice dorado trolling, it was about 15 or 18 lbs, real good as ceviche for dinner too. Then we stopped and mooched around with the live bait and I got into a real nice striper, he was dancing on his tail about 200 yds behind the boat. He put up a good fight and is the biggest I have landed in any fish, 6' long and about 100 lbs. I didn't get it in my lap cause I wanted to release it.

pictures are
1 antonio making sure I don't xxx it up
2 it was heavy but I think I could pull my truck out of the ditch with this setup
3 getting close
4 closer
5 let it go

Attachments

#29 ·
I was going to Cabo over christmas so I got some info from Tofinoguy and booked boxing day 2009 on the baharaider. Two of us and Antonio with his deckhand Gabriel going out for the day. The weather is fine for us that time of year 28 or so degrees and sunny, with lots of mexicans in down coats.
We trolled these giant hoochie looking lures right on the surface in the wake of the boat, or when we spotted a striper on the surface, stopped and cast live bait at them. We didn't hit any this way just yet. There wasn't much action this day for us or anyone on the radio until about noon. Then Grant picked up a nice dorado trolling, it was about 15 or 18 lbs, real good as ceviche for dinner too. Then we stopped and mooched around with the live bait and I got into a real nice striper, he was dancing on his tail about 200 yds behind the boat. He put up a good fight and is the biggest I have landed in any fish, 6' long and about 100 lbs. I didn't get it in my lap cause I wanted to release it.

pictures are
1 antonio making sure I don't xxx it up
2 it was heavy but I think I could pull my truck out of the ditch with this setup
3 getting close
4 closer
5 let it go
Nice one there, Firelight. Glad your trip was successful. They could definately get by with a bit lighter gear. :peace:

#28 ·
Great pics Firelight, nice to see others release these beautiful creatures too.
Looks like you guys were close to shore, all my trips have been 30-50 miles off shore and in not so pleasant seas.
I think the 130lb class reels could double as winches on mini trucks lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.