Fishin' in Cuba???

Thread: Fishin' in Cuba???

Thanks

Default Fishin' in Cuba???

Anyone ever fish in Cuba? We have booked a last minute trip for right after Christmas.

I have done some searching online and haven't found anything looking too promising. Sounds as though commercial fishing has done a bit of a number of fish stocks around the Varadero area where we are staying.

Was going to get an offshore charter if it was worthwhile, but thus far all I have read says I am better on the beach with a beer staring at scantily clad tourists. (of the female persuasion)

Thanks

Hey Pippen I had a friend just return from Varadero last sunday and while he was down there he took a charter from one of the docks. Him and his wife headed out for about six hours and he said he had a great time, he caught three nice baracuda between 2-4' long. This was his first time chartering and it sounded like he cost himself a couple of nice fish grabbing the rod to quickly from the rod holder, he said the guide trimmed him up once after he lost a real nice one. All in all it was a positive report and I think he would do it again in a heart beat. I'll ask him what the charter cost when I see him next and what dock he went from. I'm booked for Turks and Caicos again in May, I can't wait to hit them salt flats again.

Cheers Bill
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

-John Buchan, Lord Tweedsmuir.

Thanks

Thanks Bill!! Much appreciated!

From what I have read there doesn't seem to be much of an abundance of much, other than barracuda. Al reports I have googled just seem to talk about them and nothing like dorado or much in the way of billfish at all.

I know about the "flats" in the Turks as I have a buddy who lives down there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pippen View Post
    Thanks Bill!! Much appreciated!

From what I have read there doesn't seem to be much of an abundance of much, other than barracuda. Al reports I have googled just seem to talk about them and nothing like dorado or much in the way of billfish at all.

I know about the "flats" in the Turks as I have a buddy who lives down there.
    Well Pippen. Did you go fishing? Do you have a report we can all live vicariously thru your experience to break the winter doldrums.

Thanks

Well.....I talked every which way to people down there and all in all the fishing around Varadero is mediocre at best. The charter boats they have in the area are pretty nice and very seaworth vessels so I would assume at some point through the year the fishing must be better. A few locals at the resort I befriended said that you may have a "chance" at some real game fish like dorado and various billfish but most people just wind up catching a few barracuda, grouper etc. I was thinking about going out this past Saturday but the seas blew up big time as a cold front moved in.

All in all though it was an interesting place to visit and you definitely are reminded to the "rule" the country is under. People are very nice for the most part.....the beaches and water is beautiful.....food is hit and miss but thank god for Caribean Rock Lobsters as I ate that about 5 nights while we were there. The did up a huge feast for New Years that consisted of 3 pigs, a cow, 3 crocodiles and some turkey's all done over a big BBQ pit. I'll post up some pics in the next day or so when I have some time. I tried sneaking pics of many of the topless european's but my GF went through my camera and they were promptly deleted.

Thanks

I was most interested in those pics of the "European ladies".

How did the Crocodile taste?

Reports Access
    Thanks

If you want to stay in a Cuban resort and fish then you have to go to Cayo Coco. No direct flights from Vancouver, you have to connect through Toronto.

Thread Information