sand Heads / what to watch out for??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sand Heads / what to watch out for??

VIP Access
    Thanks

Default sand Heads / what to watch out for??

I am thinking of heading down to sand heads area for the first time. what would make the area dangerous?? incomming tide + west wind?? southern wind?? ....
    I know south of bell bouy gets nasty sometimes eventhough vancouver harbour is nice and calm. I just want to pick a day that I dont get in trouble, since Im in a 15 footer.

thanks for the info.

Thanks

im curious were abouts is sandheads located??

Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Thanks

sandheads is the end of the rock jetty that starts at Gary Park in Steveston.

Thanks

Be very careful, if it looks rough turn around, it will only get worse! an incoming tide against the river can even be bad, lots of big freighters. Winds blowing in from the west or south, I would only go out there on a very calm day in a 15 footer. I have a 21.5' walk around it gets hairy in that. A fish isn't worth your life. On the other hand I have seen days out there so calm you could waterski clean across to Vancouver Island! Use your best judgement

Thanks

Default My two cents

I have only been out the south arm once last Friday and it left me with several questions and a few observations.

Weather, just before leaving the house in the morning I went online and checked the marine forecast on the weather network. It called for 5-15 knot SE winds, the reality was 15-25 knot NW winds according to the marine forecast on the VHF. The difference made for very challenging fishing. I could only use one downrigger because my partner was too busy feeding the fish to keep us from turning around too quick. My advise is to check the government Weather Office website. Their marine forecast is more accurate and you can see realtime weather readings from ocean buoys, and from the Sand Heads lighthouse.

I was also very curious what the water conditions are like after the tide starts to ebb? does the river become hard to navigate and or do the sea conditions get extreme for smaller boats(under 20ft)?

Has anyone got experience with using the breaks in the breakwater? If heading North of the lighthouse, is it safe to use the exits so to speak. They don't show up on my chartplotter map, so depth and currents are a concern for me.

T10? I have seen many references to T10 in Fishing Reports, could someone describe where it is?

Any insight is greatly appreciated
    Tight line & big smiles

If you see the Salmon Chaser, a 17 foot Arima, Sea Chaser, with Suzuki's, come by and say hi. Community is what it is all about!

Thanks

Default Ocean conditions at T10, etc

I always look at: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php to see what's happening. Now, I'm not sure how it would work for sandshead or T10... But it is killer for Thrasher. I'd just assume you could look at the Tsawwassen report, should be accurate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damnfish! View Post
    I always look at: http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php to see what's happening. Now, I'm not sure how it would work for sandshead or T10... But it is killer for Thrasher. I'd just assume you could look at the Tsawwassen report, should be accurate.
    The few times I have used BWD for the weather report over on this side I haven't found it to be the most accurate. I know guys in Victoria and over on the Island use it but I also use the Environment Canada website and check out the various "weather stations" on there. I have found them to be pretty good for current forecasts and upcoming weather.

Thanks

I try to use multiple sources... What I like about BWD is that the site is about finding the big wave and strong wind, so I feel it's more interpretive of the various sources... But I agree, like all forecasts, it's often wrong....

Thanks

I go out the South arm regualrly and always check the enviroment Canada website for the weather. You can check on weather conditions and get the hourly wind report for the past 24 hours. This can give you a pretty good indication of what the weather at sandheads is like. A 15 footer out there is a risky proposition unless the weather conditions are very favourable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information