Fraser River Sturgeon Fishing

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fraser River Sturgeon Fishing

Thanks

Default Fraser River Sturgeon Fishing

Quick question. I couldn't find any information online that tells when it is legal to fish for sturgeon in the fraser river. I know you need an appropriate license and that it is only catch and release; however I couldn't find anything as to set dates. Are there any? Also if you know of any good spots between Hope and Chiliwack then that would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

Thanks

No closed dates but its best to wait until it warms up.As for for spots there are tons but you didn't mention if you are fishing from shore or a boat?
    quot;If you cast they will come"

Thanks

Mostly from shore. And I intend to go in the spring, that's when I am headed down in that general direction.
    Last edited by SDPY; 02-01-2012 at 07:35 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Default Fraser River Fishing Question

I am heading down to Vancouver within this next week and am hoping to drop a line into the Fraser and see if any sturgeon are biting yet. I am new with sturgeon and haven't tried them before but I have an appropriate rig for the keeper sized ones. All I need to know is the following information: 1. Where to fish: I have heard that the Mission Bridge area is quite good, are there any other specific areas for this time of year? 2. What bait to use: Smelt should be ok right now but where can I buy it? 3. What time to go: Morning, Afternoon, evening (I think night is off limits). Btw I will be shore fishing for the entire time. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDPY View Post
    Mostly from shore. And I intend to go in the spring, that's when I am headed down in that general direction.

I am heading down to Vancouver within this next week and am hoping to drop a line into the Fraser and see if any sturgeon are biting yet. I am new with sturgeon and haven't tried them before but I have an appropriate rig for the keeper sized ones. All I need to know is the following information: 1. Where to fish: I have heard that the Mission Bridge area is quite good, are there any other specific areas for this time of year? 2. What bait to use: Smelt should be ok right now but where can I buy it? 3. What time to go: Morning, Afternoon, evening (I think night is off limits). Btw I will be shore fishing for the entire time. Thanks!
    There are no "keeper" Sturgeon in the Fraser river. You can get oolies at most tackle shops.

Sent from my HTC
    Last edited by Rib; 02-07-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: to log quotes for record of merge
    Robbie

Thanks

Bertoli:

I know that the fishery is just catch and release but I was referring to the size in general...like 2-4ft type thing. I have never broken any fishing law in my life and would hope I get caught if I ever do. I already have the sturgeon license and intend to be going down quite soon as stated above.

Thanks

Buy some eulachons from any fishing shop or bait shop. I usually fish for them on the incoming tide from a dock so your best bet is to looks up a tide table.

Retired Administrator Big Green Machine's Avatar
    Thanks

Good morning, Before you go check out some of the other Sturgeon threads here for tips!
    "There's a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

VIP Access
    Thanks

Bertoli:

I know that the fishery is just catch and release but I was referring to the size in general...like 2-4ft type thing. I have never broken any fishing law in my life and would hope I get caught if I ever do. I already have the sturgeon license and intend to be going down quite soon as stated above.
    SDPY, a size of 2-4 feet is a baby here. If you do not have the appropriate tackle to land a 5-7 foot fish quickly then I would suggest you get a heavier set up. We do not want to play out the fish to the point that it is exhausted. That only increases its' mortality rate. I ask that you consider this before you go out there and fish for our sturgeon because this is a prized sport fishery that has a close eye on it and we want to protect it.

Retired Administrator Big Green Machine's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's a great thread (Thanks Go Fish!) and all the Sturgeon anglers who helped in the process of formulating these guidelines.

Here's another - lots of reading!
    "There's a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information