Fraser River Sturgeon Fishing

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Fraser River Sturgeon Fishing

  1. #1
    VIP Access SDPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vernon, BC
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Fraser River Sturgeon Fishing

    Quick question. I couldn't find any information online that tells when it is legal to fish for sturgeon in the fraser river. I know you need an appropriate license and that it is only catch and release; however I couldn't find anything as to set dates. Are there any? Also if you know of any good spots between Hope and Chiliwack then that would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

  2. #2
    VIP Access Rantalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Aldergrove
    Age
    53
    Posts
    483
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 73 Times in 48 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    No closed dates but its best to wait until it warms up.As for for spots there are tons but you didn't mention if you are fishing from shore or a boat?
    quot;If you cast they will come"

  3. #3
    VIP Access SDPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vernon, BC
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Mostly from shore. And I intend to go in the spring, that's when I am headed down in that general direction.
    Last edited by SDPY; 02-01-2012 at 07:35 PM.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    VIP Access SDPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vernon, BC
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Fraser River Fishing Question

    I am heading down to Vancouver within this next week and am hoping to drop a line into the Fraser and see if any sturgeon are biting yet. I am new with sturgeon and haven't tried them before but I have an appropriate rig for the keeper sized ones. All I need to know is the following information: 1. Where to fish: I have heard that the Mission Bridge area is quite good, are there any other specific areas for this time of year? 2. What bait to use: Smelt should be ok right now but where can I buy it? 3. What time to go: Morning, Afternoon, evening (I think night is off limits). Btw I will be shore fishing for the entire time. Thanks!

  6. #5
    VIP Access Bertoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Maple Ridge
    Age
    37
    Posts
    219
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDPY View Post
    Mostly from shore. And I intend to go in the spring, that's when I am headed down in that general direction.

    Quote Originally Posted by SDPY View Post
    I am heading down to Vancouver within this next week and am hoping to drop a line into the Fraser and see if any sturgeon are biting yet. I am new with sturgeon and haven't tried them before but I have an appropriate rig for the keeper sized ones. All I need to know is the following information: 1. Where to fish: I have heard that the Mission Bridge area is quite good, are there any other specific areas for this time of year? 2. What bait to use: Smelt should be ok right now but where can I buy it? 3. What time to go: Morning, Afternoon, evening (I think night is off limits). Btw I will be shore fishing for the entire time. Thanks!
    There are no "keeper" Sturgeon in the Fraser river. You can get oolies at most tackle shops.

    Sent from my HTC
    Last edited by Rib; 02-07-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: to log quotes for record of merge
    Robbie

  7. #6
    VIP Access SDPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vernon, BC
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Bertoli:

    I know that the fishery is just catch and release but I was referring to the size in general...like 2-4ft type thing. I have never broken any fishing law in my life and would hope I get caught if I ever do. I already have the sturgeon license and intend to be going down quite soon as stated above.

  8. #7
    VIP Access gmachine19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Coquitlam
    Age
    31
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 97 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Buy some eulachons from any fishing shop or bait shop. I usually fish for them on the incoming tide from a dock so your best bet is to looks up a tide table.

  9. #8
    Retired Administrator Big Green Machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Central Okanagan
    Posts
    4,443
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked 707 Times in 467 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Good morning, Before you go check out some of the other Sturgeon threads here for tips!
    "There's a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

  10. #9
    VIP Access
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    chilliwack bc
    Posts
    364
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 52 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDPY View Post
    Bertoli:

    I know that the fishery is just catch and release but I was referring to the size in general...like 2-4ft type thing. I have never broken any fishing law in my life and would hope I get caught if I ever do. I already have the sturgeon license and intend to be going down quite soon as stated above.
    SDPY, a size of 2-4 feet is a baby here. If you do not have the appropriate tackle to land a 5-7 foot fish quickly then I would suggest you get a heavier set up. We do not want to play out the fish to the point that it is exhausted. That only increases its' mortality rate. I ask that you consider this before you go out there and fish for our sturgeon because this is a prized sport fishery that has a close eye on it and we want to protect it.

  11. #10
    Retired Administrator Big Green Machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Central Okanagan
    Posts
    4,443
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked 707 Times in 467 Posts
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Here's a great thread (Thanks Go Fish!) and all the Sturgeon anglers who helped in the process of formulating these guidelines.

    Here's another - lots of reading!
    "There's a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Fraser river Sturgeon report for June 22
      By silversides in forum Freshwater Professional Reports
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-23-2009, 08:04 AM
    2. Sturgeon on the Fraser River below Port Mann Bridge?
      By cblake in forum Freshwater General Discussion
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 11-17-2008, 08:43 PM
    3. Fish'n Canada: Fraser River Sturgeon
      By bronjuan in forum Freshwater General Discussion
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 10-19-2008, 10:23 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •