BC Fishing Reports banner

Made my 1st trip across the Strait of Georga , trip report

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  jumbo2 
#1 ·
Been wanting to head over to the island since I got my 1st boat , sunday I did it :thumbup: Left 232nd boat launch at 9am and heading into some thick fog , around derby reach it cleared up and I was off , hit steveston by 10am and 45min later i was on the west side of galiano island near the north end , debated going between galiano and valdes but decided to drop some crab traps in 75 ft of water and headed to shore to explore for a hour , after seeing crabs and jelly fish and finding a buoy that was under a log on shore we headed out to collect our traps and make our way back to stevston to try for crab again , we ended up with no crab but had a great day , 3:30 i pulled my boat outa the water fuel gauge still on full with a big smile as we were safe and the sun was just going down

I figured the trip had cost me $70 in fuel and that surprised me , my 18.5ft thunderjet with yamaha 90hp handled the strait great and never had to slow below 20mph to have a smooth ride , never went faster than 28mph and figure the trip was aprox 120 natucal miles , the longest part was from stevston to 232nd boat launch . If anyone else wants to head over for a day trip and crab im planning on going again but go through between valdes and galiano down to tent island to explore and crab , if anyone else can give a good general area around there to crab im all ears .

#5 ·
Went over to tent island and all around yesterday for the day from ladner ,it was beautiful and sunny until the trip home , weather office said 10-15 but was more like 10-25 with 5-10ft swells , don't think I will be trying that again any time soon , anyone reading this and considering a trip over should watch the weather and be very careful , I learned a good lesson and made it safe wich I have to thank my boat for that , if I would have lost power I would have been in big trouble and calling out a SOS

#7 ·
I have a kicker but I dont always have it on the boat , have to remove it due to thefts in the area at home so sometimes im to lazy to install it , I carry a spare prop for my main motor and its a 2011 yamaha so I guess my trust is in it . My 10 hp kicker gets me 7mph full out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.