Fishing by the FAD's you say...?

Thread: Fishing by the FAD's you say...?

Thanks

Default Fishing by the FAD's you say...?

I'm sure disappointed, because we can't have Fads in Canada...
    What is fishing by the FAD? Fad term means "Fishing Aggregation Device". It is well established in Australia coast and it provides an excellent fishing opportunity for sports fisherman. FAD's are now being placed about 5 miles a part all along the NSW coast.

These devices are attracting the Pelagic Species like Mahi Mahi, Kingfish, Tunas and other fast species. You can Google and learn more about these devices. I have fished them a few times on my visit to Australia a couple weeks ago. What a beautiful fish attractors these devices make! Fish after fish and more fish hit your offerings continuously around these FAD devices.

Sure, don't want to bother anyone, but here is a day of fishing by these FAD devices I've just posted. The big Mahi Mahi are deeper at these waters, but you can't get your lure down to them very fast. The fishes grab your offerings even at the top. Enjoy the video and learn about the FAD.

MrFisher.
    Last edited by Rib; 03-29-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: embedd video, no redirecting links unless permitted

Thanks

Sounds very unnatural MrFisher and the thought of an "attractant" around migrational routs on top of issues
    with multiple fish farms polluting our coastal waters quite frankly disturbs me. What works in one local
    at the present time could have dire consequences down the road and given the topographical location of this
    discussion should be the first red flag regarding unwanted guests. Not big on this idea.

Cheers Marko
    Life with out fish....there would be no life.

Retired Administrator Big Green Machine's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm all for increasing my chances of catching fish, but prefer to do it the old fashioned way of hunting for them. Interesting concept though. I will have to do some more reading on these things.
    "There's a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Maybe I have just convinced myself that catching fish should be challenging because to me it is such a challenge. Thankfully I enjoy the walk along the shore and the sound of the river. If I only enjoyed the feel of hooking a fish I would find a different way to spend my time. I can't pretend to know a lot about fishing, but i'm learning, or these FAD devices, but I'm learning. Personally I don't see the risk vs reward being enough of a payoff. Why risk the potential consequences of altering migration patterns just so people can catch more fish. Watching that video was exciting for about 3 minutes but watching people catch fish with each cast I started to wonder how many of those catch and release were actually going to survive. Again, maybe I am just jealous because I have never had a multiple fish day, but if I wanted to catch fish in a barrel...I'd buy a barrel. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Oh, it's nice to have an opinion on your ways of fishing andthe Fads here. The fact that Australiahas so much fish and especially the hot fighting Pelagic species is justimpossible for most of us to imagine. We just don't have the temperatures forthese device or the climate.

I didn't post thevideo to change your guys ways of fishing here. I just thought that it wasinteresting new concept. I'm glad I had a chance to try it and yes, it was veryproductive. The problem was that we could not get the bait deep down quicklyand the smaller Mahi Mahi at the top would continuously grab it as well asother species. Yes, we did get a few bigger keepers...

The FAD concept is relatively new in Australia andit seems like all the sport fisherman down under are very happy with it. Everybodytalks about it and they want to go and try these. The AU government is giving instructionswith your fishing regulation on the exact positions and GPS locations and onuses of the FADs.

What I liked about it that they are not letting commercial vesselsnear these devices. On my third day wesaw about 6 sport vessels around it.

Perhaps, you should Goggle for FADs in AU, as there is muchmore you guys can find out about it. I'm just glad a had a chance to try it.

Thanks for you responses and "Happy Tight Lines".

MrFisher.

Contributing Member scissorbill's Avatar
    Thanks

The problem was that we could not get the bait deep down quicklyand the smaller Mahi Mahi at the top would continuously grab it as well asother species. Yes, we did get a few bigger keepers...
    They have that problem in Haida Gwaii (QCI) at times where you only get 20 or so Springs because it's hard to get through all the Coho No FADs required
    Yet, anyways.

What I liked about it that they are not letting commercial vesselsnear these devices.
    We're not allowed to speed either but some do...

Sounds pretty cool, until it's abused and used for evil.
    Money talks. Unfortunately... Mine says: "Good-Bye"

Contributing Member fisherforever's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm glad we don't have these FAD's around here MrGrey1, that is your Sharphooks username isn't it? Here's some more info about FAD's.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_aggregating_device
    http://iss-foundation.org/2012/10/04...ish-with-fads/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVbp7PijR6Y
    http://www.pewenvironment.org/news-r...er-85899361234
    I see no use for these around here, it takes the skill out of angling. Nothing like shooting fish in a barrel eh.
    Tomorrow Is Promised To No One - Believe It.

Thanks

I gave it to you as an information link, something I had achance to try and it was fun for a while. You can knock it down or take it asit is. I sure liked it but we can't never have it here as the waters are tocold here anyways. They also have their own angling skills of there too. Maybemore on some special species than we don't have here.. "Shooting fish inthe barrel?" Don't be such a quick judge. You also need some skills justto find these and then to set up your stuff right..

As for me, I'm back to normal cold water fishing now, likeeverybody else. Why would you need to drag Sharphooks into this..? Duh...

Thread Information