BC Fishing Reports banner

Perch Trip - Lake Simcoe

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lunkerhunter 
#1 ·
I was in Toronto for work. Luckily my Dad and Aunt had the day off so we decided to rent a hut and go perch fishing on lake Simcoe. It was -25C with -32 windchill. The hut was well insulated with a propane stove. Aunt Laurie brought eggs, bacon, hash browns, bacon cheese bread, cookies and more. May Dad and I prepared lunches the day before. Throw in a thermos of hot coffee and we were geared up for the 9 hours of fishing.
Pops bought a underwater camera that is pretty awesome. You can lower it to the bottom and have it scan side to side, or you can have it hang vertically and shoot straight down. Fish didn't seem to be bothered by the camera. Pretty neat piece of equipment. Much better than a fish finder if you are going to stay in the same spot all day.
Fishing was slow for the first couple of hours. We ended up catching a total of 10 perch or so, and the same amount of herring. Apparently years ago it wasn't uncommon to go home with 40 or 50 fish over the 10 inch range. This would provide you with a good bag of tasty goodness. We kept 5. The biggest was 13 inches. It was enough food for Pops and I to have a good meal with a few pieces left over. Good experience, and at 50 bucks a head it pretty much works out to the same cost per pound if you were going to fly into langara island for a guided salmon trip.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.