The Alberta Thread

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alberta Thread

Thanks

Default The Alberta Thread

Im going to start this up as a collection of pics, short stories and ramblings of my angling in the central Alberta area. My knowledge on most of the angling and how to go about doing it out here is still very limited so there will be a number of posts that are mostly exploratory in nature with the occasional fish thrown in when I get lucky.

I have a 4 wt, a 5 wt, a bar rod/reel and the Limit Killer switch rod paired up with a Milner. Early plans are to spend significantly more time on the North Saskatchewan River looking for pike, lake sturgeon and mooneye with hopefully a few trips out into the foothills for brown, brooks, bows and maybe bulls and cutts.

I found a nice looking area early this morning that looks promising for sturgeon and maybe pike. Im going to try and check it out mid week with the float rod and see what happens.

LIMITKILLER - Raise the Limits

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ABSteel For This Useful Post:

BNF861 (05-19-2014), NewFly (05-19-2014), Rib (05-18-2014)

Thanks

I got off of work at 5 am this morning and came up with a quick game plan. Sleep for a few hours, get up around 10 or 11, hit up the fishing store for a license and some bait and go check out the area I saw earlier today in the week before coming back home and getting a couple more hours of sleep before I have to work again.

So the North Saskatchewan River is like a mini lower Fraser River, relatively nondescript on top, a mud/rocky bottom and dark. So in order to get a feel for how fast the water was moving and the depth I was dealing with in this area I rigged up a float and a piece pencil lead and began probing the river. 5 or 6 casts and move up 40 more feet and do it again. First thing I noticed was the river was up about 10-12" over the weekend, probably still runoff, not sure how long that is going to last or how high its going to get. The area I was checking out ranges from 6'-9' deep and is flowing at a relaxed pace with a mostly hard mud with some rocks mixed in out to as far as I could cast off of the bank. After depth checking to the top of the run I added a dead minnow to a short leader 12lb leader and 1/0 hook and started hoping.

Float fishing a low vis Fraser replica lost its appeal pretty quickly so after about 30 min I took off the float and dunked some bait. I tossed out into about 6' of water on the current line of fast and slow water. I was only using about 3" of pencil lead and the clicker on my Milner as a drag but it was enough in the mild currents.

It didnt take too long for the action to start and after about an hour and a half I'd had several good bites and managed to land my first 2 Goldeye.

I'm going to count this short trip as a success and try to build on it into the next trip.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABSteel For This Useful Post:

arrgh! (05-20-2014), Big Green Machine (05-20-2014)

Thanks

Can you eat Goldeye? I had to Google them as I had never heard of them.

6. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I though this was B.C. Fishing Reports

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrgh! View Post
    Can you eat Goldeye? I had to Google them as I had never heard of them.
    Not sure. I think the limit is 10/day though. I might try them for sturgeon bait, kinda like pike minnows for sturgeon, in the Fraser.

Quote Originally Posted by finaddict View Post
    Haha. Not anymore. Going to be Western Canada Fishing Reports by the time I'm done posting for the year lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABSteel For This Useful Post:

arrgh! (05-20-2014), Walleye76 (03-15-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by finaddict View Post

Go for it, ABSteel. My great grandpa and his twin brother used to pan for gold in that river after coming from Islay in Scotland and then across country from Owen Sound back in the 1860-70s. Always interested to hear about stuff from that area even if it will be a cold day in hell before I ever live there.....

Thanks

Man, I am glad I live in BC ...

Thanks

Apparently goldeye are smoked.....

Thanks

We throw em back. Not very edible. Its a bycatch for us when fishing for Sturgeon on the North Saskatchewan.

Thanks

In my experience the best fishing is found with a back roads map book, a pair of hiking boots and a full tank of gas. So I loaded up all three and tossed in the wife as well for a road/hiking trip to check out some waters that looked like they could produce for me.

We hop in the car, hit the highway, popped the cruise on to 121 and watched the km's fall away. To the foothills we went and the boring prairie drive turned beautiful and fun once we started encroaching into the shadows of the mountains. My goal for today was to check out a tributary of a tributary of a tributary of a tributary to a river.

Rumors were that this little feeder is a mainly spring fed creek with a stable population of small brook trout, brown trout up to a couple or three pounds and maybe a bull trout or white fish in the upper stretches.

The reports of the springs fed aspect were bang on the money. We stumbled upon a number of little brooks like this one on our exploratory journey.

Now most of the little springs were like this one, too small to really hold fish unless there were beaver dams on them but their nourishing and stable waters are definitely aiding the main river when it comes to fish habitat.

Speaking of habitat... whooo wheee! It's beautiful. Deep corners pools followed by woody runs and oxygenating riffles. Sooo much wood in this creek. The surrounding forest is mostly fir and poplar with a mossy and open understory.

The creek was higher and dirtier than I expected to see but there were a couple pretty good thunder storms that rolled through during the night. While the river was brown it wasn't muddy and I was glad to see that even if the rain pounds down its not going to blow out too easily.

Continued...
    Last edited by ABSteel; 05-25-2014 at 02:19 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ABSteel For This Useful Post:

arrgh! (05-25-2014), Rib (06-16-2014), Walleye76 (03-15-2015)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information