Fillet knife and Western Yew wood handles!

Thread: Fillet knife and Western Yew wood handles!

Advertiser/Sponsor North Arm Knives Ltd's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Fillet knife and Western Yew wood handles!

Coho:

Our Kermode fillet knife is now available in 4 colours of G10! We also just introduced Western Yew wood handles on both our outdoor knives.

We make our knives 100% in Burnaby BC! The steel in these knives is significantly harder than most factory made knives resulting in excellent edge retention, which means less sharpening! For our full story, lots of useful knife related information or to purchase a knife visit our website.

Specs:

Blade steel: CPM S35VN
    Blade hardness: HRC 58-60
    Blade length: 8.8" (10.8cm)
    Over all length:13.8" (21.6 cm)
    Blade thickness at spine: 0.062″ (2.54mm)
    Cutting edge angle: 20°
    Weight

G10
    knife only: 5.4 oz. (155 grams)
    with sheath: 8 oz. ( 225 grams)

Made in BC, Canada

price (with hunting BC 10% coupon: BCFRfall14 ): CAD $139.50 (+tax) *belt loop is $10 extra*

The Coho is an all purpose light to medium duty outdoor knife, perfect for many tasks, both in the field and around home. From dressing game to whittling a roasting stick to cutting up cardboard boxes. Made from CPM S35VN stainless steel, known for its excellent edge retention. Handle scales are available in two colours of G10 (fibreglass-epoxy laminate) : OD green or hunter orange. We now also offer western yew wood handles. The knife comes with a left or right handed Kydex sheath.

Specs:

Blade length: 4.25" (10.8cm)
    Over all length:8.5" (21.6 cm)
    Blade thickness at spine: 0.100″ (2.54mm)
    Cutting edge angle: 25°
    Weight
    knife only: 4.4 oz. (125 grams)
    with sheath: 6.8 oz. (190 grams)

Made in BC

price (with hunting BC 10% coupon: BCFRfall14): CAD $134.10 (+tax) *Yew scales are $10 extra*

Osprey:

The Osprey is the bigger of our outdoor models, designed for medium and heavy duty cutting tasks. It is capable of the same lighter cutting jobs as our Coho but its blade geometry is aimed at more strenuous use. A 5.5" blade and grippy handle give this knife great balance and hand feel. Made from CPM S35VN stainless steel, known for its superior edge retention. Handle scales are available in three colours of G10 (fibreglass-epoxy laminate) : olive drab green, hunter orange and Camo. We now also offer western yew wood handles. Comes with a left or right handed Kydex sheath.

Specs:

Blade length (tip to handle): 5.5″ (14cm)
    Over all length:10" (25.4cm)
    Blade thickness at spine: 0.138″ (3.5mm)
    Cutting edge angle: 30°

Weight:
    knife: 5.4 oz. (155 grams)
    with sheath: 8.2 oz. (235 grams)

Made in BC

price (with hunting BC 10% coupon: BCFRfall14): CAD $161.10 (+tax) *Yew scales are $10 extra*
    North Arm Knives | High Grade Knives Designed and Made in British Columbia
    http://northarmknives.com/
    [email protected]

Contributing Member BigfishMike's Avatar
    Thanks

John and Mike Gudmundson,

I just received one of the best Christmas gifts ever...one of your North Arm Kormode Filet knives.

It came from a great friend, also from this forum....Chilliwack's own T.K. aka "Hmmm" here.

I can tell you, and anyone else reading this, that the quality is superb, and the photos and descriptions offered are woefully insufficient.
    The blade is keen and precise, and surgically even and sharp-- a Caveman or Sasquatch could safely, comfortably and effectively shave with it.

The handle and the metal handle section are machined perfectly to fit each other--no rough or high spots, and a they're a perfect match; the rivets holding the knife together, as well as those on the sheath are beefy and permanent.

When you slip the knife into the sheath, it has a couple of properly bent wings at the hilt to snap the knife in place,
    so even if you hold it upside down, the knife won't slide out.

I am going to discard all the knives I'll never use again, as they pale in comparison to the fine tool you've created.

I'll take hand-crafted goods over mass-produced every time, and I'd encourage anyone who wants the best knife they'll ever own to not only get one, but to challenge any of these claims.

I'd be anxious to hear the take of guys who use knives daily as part of their jobs...all the guides--Nog, Tofino Guy, and ANYBODY who appreciates what a great knife does for them. My wife and I have a phenomenal German cooking knife set we got for a wedding present--I thought I'd never see or handle that kind of quality again, and you have at least matched, if not exceeded it.

That TK had the blade engraved with my tag-line: "Be well, make friends, catch fish" makes it that much more special. And Scotty---thanks for contributing the fitting name--"Kormode" to this fine knife.

I am going to follow T.K's lead, and gift a few special friends---a lodge owner or two-- with one of these great tools.

Thanks gentlemen, thanks TK, and Merry Christmas and a healthy and Happy New Year to all.

KK1.jpg

KK2.jpg

KK3.jpg
    Last edited by BigfishMike; 12-19-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    Be well, make friends, catch fish.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigfishMike For This Useful Post:

IronNoggin (12-19-2014), North Arm Knives Ltd (12-20-2014)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BigfishMike View Post
    ... I'd be anxious to hear the take of guys who use knives daily as part of their jobs...all the guides--Nog, Tofino Guy, and ANYBODY who appreciates what a great knife does for them...
    I Whole-Heartedly CONCUR Mike!

Had the pleasure of being selected as one of the "Beta Testers" for this knife just before it went into production. After using it for numerous coho, halibut and several deer, this is what I had to say:

"Both my main Hunting & Fishing Partner and I have used the knife a fair bit over the last while.
    In short, we are both Damn Impressed!
    Holds an edge seemingly forever (4 deer, a couple of halibut and a handful of coho without sharpening Yet!! Wicked!), feels very good in the hand and doesn't slip at all, the length is great, and the flexibility is perfect for filleting both salmon and hali's.

Partner wants one with a fine wooden handle down the road. I likely will too. Not much I can suggest to change, methinks you have a Winner here!
    "

I remain steadfast with that opinion! It is The Best fillet knife I have used to date, and I WILL soon be grabbing onto another for myself. The original will make it's way to the Big Rig where it will spend it's days doing what it is designed to (and doing it WELL) while the new one will remain at my side when wandering.

You simply can't go wrong with one of these Folks! In my business we run through a great many knives looking for The One. In this case I am pleased to report we have found just that!!

John & Mike - Many Thanks for such a Superior Product! Going to make my life easier out there on the briney! And Thanks for bringing in the wooden handle version! Can't wait to get my mitts on it!!

Cheers,
    Nog

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IronNoggin For This Useful Post:

BigfishMike (12-19-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member BigfishMike's Avatar
    Thanks

And you use it more than the average bear, Nog. High praise from somebody who is hell on knives.

I slid the blade of mine between the meat and skin of a Chinook fillet, and it separated it like magic.

Can't wait to put it to the test of a full day of fishing....
    I can just visualize cleaning a box of bombers for ceviche, and doing it in just a few minutes,
    Last edited by BigfishMike; 12-19-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    Be well, make friends, catch fish.

Thanks

When will the yew be available on the Kermode?

edit: NM just read the other thread.....

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BigfishMike View Post
    And you use it more than the average bear, Nog. High praise from somebody who is hell on knives.
    LOL! Not as much as my Partner is some days. Should have seen him deboning the deer with that knife! Like he was Determined to dull that Razor Edge by running it right tight to the bone! Didn't dull, and the Cleanest Deer Bones I've EVER Seen!

Made Damn Short Work with the Hali's and coho too!

Methinks we have a Winner!

Cheers,
    Nog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IronNoggin For This Useful Post:

BigfishMike (12-22-2014)

Thanks

Thanks guys, it means a lot coming from you!

Thanks

Happy Holidays everyone!

Just wanted to let you all know that the Kermode is now available with Yew wood Scales!

Last edited by North Arm Knives Ltd; 01-06-2015 at 11:43 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to North Arm Knives Ltd For This Useful Post:

IronNoggin (12-25-2014)

Thread Information