BC Fishing Reports banner

Fly Fishing the Sunshine Coast

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  cube 
#1 ·
I spend most of my summer up at my family's home near Powell River/Lund and will be bringing my fly gear this year. I'm looking for tips on lakes, creeks, or rivers up near there that can be fly fished and will be worth a missed day on the saltwater.

#7 · (Edited)
Hey to all on this thread! I'm thinking of coming out to Sechelt to fly fish for coho outside Chapman creek (Davis Bay) next week (29th-30th) . Haven't been able to find any current reports on the beach fishing. I'm hoping that the pinks have finished and the coho's are moving in. Im definitely more familiar with Squamish and Fraser systems, but pretty clueless as to the timing of the SSC salmon runs.

The plan is to spend one night on the coast so i can fish at first light the next day, will probably camp at Porpoise Bay.

Don't need a ton of information, i'm happy to explore and learn on my own, but would appreciate to simply know if its a decent time to come up. Anyone have an update?

Thanks in advance!
c

#8 ·
Hi

Things have been slow again this year. Fish that have shown up have for the most part moved through quickly. They have not staged anywhere for more than a day.

The Porpoise Bay coho fishery is basically non existent as there have been no seeding for the last 4 years (although there has been talk of releasing 20,000 smolts annually again). The Chapman creek fish do come back, but have not staged for any length of time in front of the creek for the last couple of years. The days currently are spent driving up & down the Coast checking out all the beaches, usually without seeing any signs of fish. A lot of blind casting happening without great results.

Pinks are basically done. They didn't show at the usual spots for long either this year. Basically they stayed in deep cooler water & went up the creeks as soon as the rain came.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

#9 ·
Thanks K13. Too bad about the PB fishery, lets hope it rebounds. I'll probably save money for another fishing trip- too bad i was hoping to explore some new fishing spots. I spoke to a lady from the Chapman hatchery last week she also said that only a few coho had arrived (this was before the last rain). I'm planning on a trip to East coast Vancouver island soon so hopefully i can get my beach coho fix there :D !

Thanks again!
c

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.