Feral Pig and Moose Sausage

Thread: Feral Pig and Moose Sausage

Thanks

Cool Feral Pig and Moose Sausage

So after my Bow Hunting Partner collected a Feral Pig while hunting here in BC last fall, he and I chatted a fair bit about just what to do with the thing. We decided that it would be a great idea to create a type of Polish Hunter's Sausage with a fair bit of it, and so began the search for just the right recipe. After much searching (including many sites in Polish) we decided to create one based on a Traditional "Mysliwska" (Hunter's Sausage) type, with of course a few alterations of our own.

Here's the main Guest of Honor on the hoof:

A short spell ago, my Buddy wandered over to chase steelhead with me, and drug along a hind and both front shoulders from this "guest".

I had a little moose grind left, a bit of domestic free-range pork, and some straight pork fat hanging about, so after some head-scratchin' this is the recipe we came up with:

Tad’s Mysliwska Sausage

Ingredients:

37 Pounds Wild Pig
    13 Pounds Domestic Pig
    13 Pounds Moose
    15 Pounds Pork Fat

Total: 78 Pounds

20 Tblsp Salt
    6 Tblsp Prague Cure # 1
    12 Tblsp Ground Black Pepper
    24 Tblsp Fresh Copped Garlic
    12 Tblsp Garlic Powder
    7 Tblsp Ground Juniper
    28 Grams Marjoram
    200 Grams Yellow Mustard Seed
    100 Grams Coriander Seed

12 Cups Ice Water
    375 ml (Mickey) London Dry Gin

The Feral Pig was ground Coarse (as called for in the traditional recipe), the moose and domestic pork ground medium, and the fat ground fine.

Here's a shot of the whole lot thawing out in a full-sized bathtub:

After the meat was prepped, we mixed up the cure, spices, water & gin and let sit until all was dissolved / well mixed. Then added that to the meat, sprinkled the two seed types on top and mixed Furiously until it was all well blended. Then into the Uber-Cold Fridge overnight for the various flavors to blend, and to get the meat Damn Cold for shooting the next day:

Continued...

Thanks

Arrow

As we prepared to shoot the sausage, I was once again Very Pleased we had collected that new Cabela's One Horse Commercial Grinder this year! We would have been there for DAYS with the old machine! LOL!

Deciding on 2 foot lengths, we then shot the product into standard hog casings, coiled and hung the sausages to dry a spell:

They were then held for ~ 8 hours at 60 degrees F and were nicely dry to the touch.

Pre-Heated the Smoker to 160 degrees F for an hour or so, then the lot was stuffed inside - arranged most carefully such that none touched each other or any of the walls:

Even in my Big Box, this run damn near had her at Capacity!

Initial Smoking (Hickory Chips btw) started at 140 degrees F for 2 hours. Then gradually over many more hours the internal temperature of the sausages was brought up to 154 degrees. The Entire Neighborhood simply knew what I was up to, as the Awesome Smell wafted Everywhere!!

That process was Greatly Facilitated by the use of an "Auber" Smoker Control Unit - kind of like a Thermostat on Steroids. It has 6 programmable settings, allowing you very precise control of the heating / smoking process.

Here's a shot of it in action. The left reading is the temperature inside the smoker, and the right, the internal temperature of the meat:

Getting Closer:

When the product's internal temperature reaches your desired level, the unit shuts it all down, sounds an Alarm to let you know, and flashes the fact it has done so:

We've done a PILE of smoking over the years, and now having one of these little units, I honestly do not know how we managed without one! It is a close to Plug 'n Play as it gets!!

Continued...

Thanks

Thumbs up

At this point, a fair amount of moisture had been shed, and the links had shrunk a little as a consequence.
    The Incredibly Fantastic Smell damn near knocked me over when I opened the two bay doors:

The sausages were Immediately dumped into a large "Coffin" (Fish Cooler) full of ice cold water to drop the heat and halt the cooking process - something that takes ~ 15 minutes or so:

Then onto the racks to "Bloom" overnight:

These did Bloom overnight, and are now into the drying process. Held at 65 degrees F, they can dry up to 6 or 7 days. The product was designed to NOT require refrigeration so as to facilitate riding in your pack for multi-day hunts:

Awoke early this morning to check on them and the whole house smells YUMMY!

Simply HAD to have a Taste! And the verdict is: Houston! We Have A WINNER!!!
    In fact, I believe this is amongst the Very Best we have ever produced!!

This is the Largest batch (77 coils @ over 80 pounds!) we've ever run in all the years working with this stuff. And as much as we may have Whined while doing so, the end result is WELL Worth the effort put in!!

Have a pig hunt lined up in Arizona this summer, and certainly now HOPING to connect on a few! If I don't I then am going to be putting a LOT of Pressure on my Hunting Partner to dig a couple out of the woods here in BC. LOL!

Cheers!
    Nog

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IronNoggin For This Useful Post:

4x4 (04-01-2015), ABSteel (04-02-2015), arrgh! (04-01-2015), Blaze 71 (04-01-2015), cutcoho (04-01-2015), Samnjoe (04-02-2015), zap brannigan (04-02-2015)

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Wow looks awesome Nog.
    Love sausage made from game. Have you or Tad tried the feral meat on it's own? How was it? I've heard mixed results.

Thanks

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
    Have you or Tad tried the feral meat on it's own? How was it? I've heard mixed results.
    Following this year's Very Successful Bow Hunt over there, Tad sent me home with one of the loins from this pig.
    The Missuz & I were right looking forward to trying it out.
    Cut some 1.5" chops, marinated for an hour or so, then slow cooked them on the BarBee.

Flavor was Out Of This World Fantastic!
    Consistency was like chewing a damn Hockey Puck!

Ground the balance of that loin into our run of Garlic Coils (much different recipe than this), and they turned out Great!
    There was pretty much NO Fat on this beast, and I guess a Life in The Wild had toughened him up a fair bit.
    Great Sausage Candidate though, as these Yummy Links well indicate!

I've tried wild pig before. It's kind of a hit & miss thing with them IMHO.
    Some were tasty and tender. Most though have been closer to what this one was...

Cheers,
    Nog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IronNoggin For This Useful Post:

arrgh! (04-01-2015)

Thanks

Drool!

Thanks

Man you are the king of home made sausage!
    I always look forward to your smoker chronicles.
    One day I'll run into you in the bush.
    Hope you have a coil in your pack.

Thread Information