Sockeye indian candy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sockeye indian candy?

Contributing Member
    Thanks

Default Sockeye indian candy?

I'm gonna go to the local fish market and buy a couple 3-4 fillets of sockeye frozen of coarse just now wanting to try making indian candy! seeing the white spring turned out good i want to try something different! Now i know i could google it and find it but i'd rather try some of the members brines for the candy! If it's ok with you guys i'd like to copy a few rescipies and give them a try? Seeing i have a bit of time on my hands to my finger heals i might as well do something usefull right? Thanks guys! Look forward to trying some of your ideas!

CK
    Fly fishing isn't a sport you choose.
    It's a sport that chooses you!
    Once it catches you...
    You stay caught.

VIP Access
    Thanks

Default Re: Sockeye indian candy?

We are very interested in responses here to CK, no one has a recipe ? Want to try my hand and make it here. Thanks. Salt.

VIP Access
    Thanks

Kev, I knew we'd had that question before and sure enough, here is the link with very good instructions and step by step pics.

I've tried it only once. As you'll see, it is a heck of a lot of time and work, but the results are fantastic!! The problem is that you can't stop eating the stuff!!!

http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26851

4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Thanks

Murray thank you for your time to look for that! seeing that i'm using your smoker to do it(thanks) When it's all done i have a bag or two for you my friend! It looks very time consuming and pricey as well but i have to try this it looks so good! I'm gonna pick up the sockeye sometime nextweek and i will let you know when it's done and you can be the first to try it! Thanks again buddy!

CK
    Fly fishing isn't a sport you choose.
    It's a sport that chooses you!
    Once it catches you...
    You stay caught.

Thanks

If any of you are looking for a hot smoke recipe as well that is far above anything else I have tried. Nog's hot smoke recipe also included in this link is unbelievable. I did a bunch of chum earlier and recently some coho and rainbows. Its really good
    always a student

Thanks

Sorry guys,

Ironnoggin's hot smoke recipe is here

http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=26471

I have tried quite a few and found that this one tastes good with all kinds of salmon and trout.
    always a student

VIP Access
    Thanks

CK: just finished my first try at this, great color, texture, all is great except it has too much of a salt taste. How did yours turn out, and maybe someone can tell be on the salt issue. I never got anything perfect the first time but this is close, just lighten up on salt taste.

And, anyone do same process on vension or beef, tempted to try it here. Thanks. Salt.

Thanks

HiYa South Tex,

Which of the recipes did you try?
    Kinda wondering as both of those were developed by myself, with the specific intent of doing away with the overly salty side-effects of most recipes I had encountered. So, I'd be interested in knowing which turned out salty, and exactly what proportions went into it.

BTW Gentz, anyone that has any questions regarding those recipes, or looking for another, feel free to drop me an E. Will be around until mid-month, then back on the briney I go for quite a spell...

Cheers,
    Nog

Contributing Member Crazy Drifter's Avatar
    Thanks

What type of salt did you use Texas, we have a family recipe that is now in it's fourth generation of tweaking as tastes change, my great gramps and gramps used to like thiers with a little salt kick, where as mom's gen liked it a little less salty, but sweeter. This year I did a experiment with the brine levels. You need the salt for texture and the cutring process but I enjoy mine with a faint taste of salt then a sweeter natural flavor. We kept the sugar quanityies the same and roughly the same salt ratios, but in one batch of four, we used straight kosher then the other used 50/ 50 kosher to sea salt. The fish that were brined in the sea salt definately took on a saltier taste than the others, also if you use table salt I found in the past it creates a wicked salty taste. One point that should be emphised to fellers who are new at the fine art of smoking your product will only be as good as the wood and chips you use. If you stick to the basics of apple,cherry and alder you should be able to produce a decent product regularly. Then play with others like peach, pear, and other harder to find types and tune your brine to your liking.
    Good luck
    Crazy D
    I don' know about you, but my honey- do list never seems to say take the weekend off and go fishing  hmmm. strange how that works

VIP Access
    Thanks

Iron, this was not the fault of your recipe, it was by very BAD use of it. I will not bore you with all my mistakes , like double the salt and it was mortons curing salt for jerky. First time, failed, let me go for the second and I will be back. Thanks. Salt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information