Dominican Trip report.

Thread: Dominican Trip report.

Thanks

Default Dominican Trip report.

Well spent the first two weeks of January attending a wedding in Punta Cana, and packed my fly rod along to do a little surf and flats casting. Spent about seven mornings walking the beach searching for any sign of fish and wearing my arm out to no avail. Seen many locals throwing nets up and down the beach which was a little discouraging, seems that the inshore fishery is virtually void of fish. Chartered a boat with the rest of the wedding party and bobbed and weaved through dozens of long nets that were set offshore, skunked aswell. It was nice to see a different culture and had a great trip, but my next trip will be some where that hasn't been so badly over fished. Hopefully the Dominican Government starts some sort of conservation efforts in the area, as there was a couple flats I fished that definitely showed some potential and I did spot a couple of bones snorkelling in about twenty feet of water, so they are there. Next up is Mosquito Lagoon in march for redfish and sea trout, should be more fish arround there.

Bill
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

-John Buchan, Lord Tweedsmuir.

Contributing Member Fish Finder's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Dominican Trip report.

Thanks for the report and insight of the Dominican PG. We are kicking the idea around for a trip to Cuba. I'd like to go to Cayo Largo. Chasing Bones is on the tops of my list to try one day.

Finder
    Check out our channel on Youtube @ ENDLESSPURSUITS FLY FISHING (Click here...)

Contributing Member 11th Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks

While I'm sorry to hear you got skunked, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 3rd world country like the Dominican Republic to institute fish limits.

I think they have bigger fish to fry
    Just because it's clipped, doesn't mean you should keep it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

VIP Access
    Thanks

FF, if you're going to Cuba, take/rent some gear for Barracudas. Cudas and shark are all I found down there. Plenty of both! You get so damned tired of taking them off your gear. But the fishing is cheap, and so is the beer!!

Contributing Member Fish Finder's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. SD. The idea of a Cuba trip is still in the "idea" faze. However it is tops on my list when we do get the chance to go.

Finder ;D
    Check out our channel on Youtube @ ENDLESSPURSUITS FLY FISHING (Click here...)

Thanks

If you want good weather, good fun and some GOOD fishing, plan your trip to Belize. One of my good friends is from the area and there are lots of good spots to fish for bones......Guides are less expensive and plentifull....do some home based research....they have excellent resorts there and better weather than some other areas of the carribean........PS....take me with you........Ortho
    The "best looking" fish is the one that is released!

Thread Information