The fish are mocking me - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The fish are mocking me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Green Machine View Post
    Actually bar fishing with roe in the lower this time of year will get you Bulls, the odd cutie, the odd steelhead, and of course coarse fish, but they are eating the roe.
    This was my understanding as well. I am mainly targeting bulls and cutties and getting used to the way the river moves in the lower sections.
    If I'm typing this it means I'm not fishing, and that's a real problem...

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's advice and thoughts on this.

Retired Administrator Big Green Machine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishtramp View Post
    This was my understanding as well. I am mainly targeting bulls and cutties and getting used to the way the river moves in the lower sections.
    Brownsville Bar under the Patullo in Surrey used to have good access, not sure about now though.
    "There's a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ABSteel View Post
    So you're giving advise on a fishery you know nothing about and "haven't bothered" to even try for yourself. Sounds helpful.
    At first i gave some small insight because i know the behavior of these fish this time of year. You were the one pushing for me to give advice so stop running your mouth.

Retired Administrator Big Green Machine's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The fish are mocking me

Quote Originally Posted by Salmonfisher View Post
    At first i gave some small insight because i know the behavior of these fish this time of year. You were the one pushing for me to give advice so stop running your mouth.
    No one is running their mouths, just curious about how you know the behaviour of coarse fish in the lower if you have never fished the lower. Do you know the behaviour of the Char or Steelhead in the lower too or just the upper? The OP mentioned nothing about targetting Chub or NPM.
    "There's a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Green Machine For This Useful Post:

Walleye76 (01-14-2016)

Thanks

Brownsville Bar under the Patullo in Surrey used to have good access, not sure about now though.
    Still does have pretty good access, however ... the local druggies make the place pretty sketchy. I was down there a couple weeks ago and didn't bother to stay and fish. I did catch a nice bull a few years back, just up from the launch.

Contributing Member
    Thanks

No one is running their mouths, just curious about how you know the behaviour of coarse fish in the lower if you have never fished the lower. Do you know the behaviour of the Char or Steelhead in the lower too or just the upper? The OP mentioned nothing about targetting Chub or NPM.
    OP didnt specify what he was trying to catch, i just know that coarse fish and most trout become lethargic at this time of year and wont go through too much effort to chase a lure. I have infact fished for coarse fish in the lower but not at this time of year because ive tried as early as march and got not even a sniff all day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Salmonfisher For This Useful Post:

fishtramp  (01-15-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Salmonfisher View Post
    I don't think you know what "running your mouth" means because if you did, well, you'd know that's exactly what you are doing.

Anyways, since I'm here and have spent a fair amount of time fishing for cutthroat and dollies in the Fraser in the winter...

I look for eddies, side channels and best of all, creek mouths to float little baits like single eggs, small roe clusters and earth worms or half dew worms under little floats, about 10 grams or so. I like slowly moving, about 30 seconds per drift type speed. Fly-fishing can also work well. A moderate strip/long pause has been best for me in the cold weather. Bottom fishing with bait can work well too, especially if you like to sit down and enjoy a hot beverage, just be sure to keep a close eye on the rod, still fishing can lead to deep hooked fish if you let them chew on the food for too long. My time spent using lures is more limited in this fishery but small flat fish have done pretty well for me.
    LIMITKILLER - Raise the Limits

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABSteel For This Useful Post:

fishtramp  (01-15-2016), scissorbill (01-15-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ABSteel View Post
    ... I look for eddies, side channels and best of all, creek mouths to float little baits like single eggs, small roe clusters and earth worms or half dew worms under little floats, about 10 grams or so. I like slowly moving, about 30 seconds per drift type speed. Fly-fishing can also work well. A moderate strip/long pause has been best for me in the cold weather. Bottom fishing with bait can work well too, especially if you like to sit down and enjoy a hot beverage, just be sure to keep a close eye on the rod, still fishing can lead to deep hooked fish if you let them chew on the food for too long. My time spent using lures is more limited in this fishery but small flat fish have done pretty well for me.
    Could be that I am using too much lure and too much speed. I will try this weekend with a smaller / slower presentation and maybe a bobber rig and see if I can't pull something outta there.

I have been trying slack water areas and tossing around structures like deadheads, dolphins, log booms etc. I am convinced I'm just not making the right presentation.

When I caught the bull up by Brownsville it was on the same Croc & 2/0, but it wasn't in the dead of winter. If I recall it was in mid fall.

Thanks

A croc with a 2/0 sounds like at least a 1/2 oz spoon. I usually stick to the smaller 1/3 or 1/4 oz spoon sizes for cutts in the Fraser. Or size 2, maybe 3 spinners. Sometimes a small split shot and an unweighted spoon like a dick nite or hildebrant works good too.

Sooner or later a winning combination will show up far you.
    LIMITKILLER - Raise the Limits

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ABSteel For This Useful Post:

fishtramp  (01-18-2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information