BC Fishing Reports banner

World Record Chinook

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BigfishMike 
#1 ·
#5 · (Edited)
There was a 90 lbs. here, but netted for the Wannock River Hatchery, Rivers Inlet, and not sport caught.
These are Wuikinuxv people, (Oweekeeno) with some help from others at the head of the inlet.

Now, after tribal approval, it is formally the 'Percy Walkus Salmon Hatchery', he the uncle of Ted Walkus, their Ancestral Chief, the big jolly guy in front.

Wilderness Adventure Jungle Recreation Backpacking

And if I remember right--(Damn...the girls are SCHOOLING us...) this was an 88 pounder.
Also, you guessed...Rivers Inlet.

Fish Fish Fishing Recreation Noodling

#7 · (Edited)
Found this when on a National Geographic cruise up the Columbia River to Lewiston, Idaho.

Uniform

And here is a 97 lbs. Hanging in a lodge on the Snake River in Idaho...the host's dad caught it at the mouth of the Columbia River, jigging with an anchovy...50 odd years back.

For scale, those beams are on 48" centers.

Fish Fish Salmon Trout coho

#9 ·
Thanks for bringing back the memories BFM. I spent some time with 3 other fine gentleman fishing broodstock on the Killbella and Chuckwalla rivers back in 94 for the Hatchery that was endorsed by the lodges of the area. Man did we tube some brutes! Landed some Monster Coho as well, incidental catch at the time. Accommodations where at the cabin on the bluff just below the estuary! Talk about a view from there! The outhouse door would remain open when in use due to the spectacular view, with the trustworthy saltwater defender close by for emergency use to defend against a grizz. Oh yes many a grizz in the area. Simply beautiful area! I have pics somewhere in a binder that I will try and dig out and post.

The Steelhead in those rivers, well that's another thread that I may start one day. :cheers: Sage

Reactions: BigfishMike
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.