Military fishing licence

View Poll Results: Would you approve a discount on fishing licences for Canadian Military members?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 68.75%
  • No

5 31.25%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Military fishing licence

Contributing Member 11th Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Military fishing licence

Having done a fair amount of work with the US Military, I've seen the way they are treated when it comes to merchandise discounts, etc. For example, tickets to the San Diego Padres are roughly $80 for seats behind the dugout. If I buy them at the Naval Exchange, I get the same ticket for $35. In Alaska, a non-resident yearly fishing licence costs $145. Being non-resident Military, I can buy the same licence for $24 (not including tags, which would cost another $20).

Would you guys be in favour, or oppose, members of the Canadian Military receiving the same type of discount on our fishing licences?
    Just because it's clipped, doesn't mean you should keep it.

Thanks

Default Re: Military fishing licence

"Special treatment" often conjurs up negative connotations, but in the case of our service men and women, I think that anyone who puts their life on the line for the service of their country should be entitled to special treatment. They certainly have my gratitude.
    Nothing sexier than a hook dressed in fur and feathers.

Thanks

I mean absolutely no offense here and will probably take some heat for my opinion but I will say this, I have several friends and acquaintances who are in the military, some of which are in training here and some who have been overseas, and have a brother considering this as a profession but, I don't think that a discount on a $30 fishing license or tag is necessary. I know our ministry here in Ontario hardly has the cash to fill up their trucks and the CO's are spread so thin that they are so overburdened by all the work there is no way they can protect their assigned areas fully. So I believe that although I have the utmost respect for our brave servicemen I believe that it is also their duty, if they truly enjoy the outdoors and our wildlife, to help fund it. Again my opinion and I don't need any battles here, I am more than happy to read what everyone else believes as it is human nature to change ones mind

4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I think our military personal are underapreciated for the most part. I would support a whole lot of breaks for military vets.

Contributing Member 11th Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Parker
    I mean absolutely no offense here and will probably take some heat for my opinion...
    Bill, I think I'm the only Military member on the board, and you won't catch any flack from me about what you said
    Just because it's clipped, doesn't mean you should keep it.

Thanks

Totally disagree with discounted Military Fishing licenses, if the government did that then what disounts for Cops? Fireman? Ambulance? Not a good idea IMO
    Send it

Reports Access
    Thanks

Actually police and firemen do get their fair share of perks, why not the military? People under 16 don't have to pay and seniors get a discount rate so I can't see a major problem with it. I say give them a discount while they are in service, then charge them regular rates after they've been discharged.

Reports Access
    Thanks

Not only should their be discount for military but also for resident secondary students...It is hard to afford fishing licences while you are in school.
    Just my

Contributing Member fisherforever's Avatar
    Thanks

I voted yes. I think a lot of Canadians don't give 2 hoots about our military, sad to see These men and women may not always be putting their lives on the line for us but they will and do when needed. Think back to a couple of World Wars and other hostile actions where our military has taken part to ensure the freedoms that we have today. They do deserve our thanks and respect. Don't see anything wrong with them receiving a little perk of having a discounted fishing license.
    Tomorrow Is Promised To No One - Believe It.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fyrslyer
    Totally disagree with discounted Military Fishing licenses, if the government did that then what disounts for Cops? Fireman? Ambulance? Not a good idea IMO
    I'm also under the impression that police officers and firemen are renumerated very well considering the amount of actual training they have to do their duties.
    Salary
    Effective January 2008
    Annually
    Probationary Constable $52,233
    4th Class Constable (after 1 year) $55,964
    3rd Class Constable (after 2 years) $59,695
    2nd Class Constable (after 3 years) $67,157
    1st Class Constable (after 4 years) $74,619

Salary Increases for 1st Class Constable
    After 10 years
    $78,350
    15 years
    $82,081
    20 years
    $85,812
    Not bad for 35 weeks of training at the Justice Institute.
    http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/poli...g/salaries.htm

I value the service that police officers provide their communities, and I mean no disrespect to any law enforcement officers on the board, because I know that many of them are dedicated professionals despite the actions of a few recently...but I think our troops in Afghanistan have faced way more bullets fired at them than all the cops put together in the history of this country.

I don't think giving the servicemen and women and vets of this country a break on their fishing or hunting licenses will make that much of a difference to revenues for the respective provinces koffers...I say give it to them, because most of them would probably never even ask for it.
    Nothing sexier than a hook dressed in fur and feathers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information