Jet boat owners

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jet boat owners

VIP Access
    Thanks

Default Jet boat owners

After many days of bar fishing the river banks, jealously looking on at the lucky few getting to all the prime river in their aluminum flying carpets, i finally got my act together and split the purchase of a new 20ft jet boat with my old man. I'm just wondering if any of you old 'river captains' out there have some words of advice or warning for a green fraser river boater like myself.
    Any input would be appreciated!

VIP Access
    Thanks

Default Jet boat owners

Always remember........ When in doubt give it more gas!! Do not let off the throttle .

Contributing Member Steelie Trav's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Jet boat owners

I don't have much experience on the Fraser, but I do take my 55 HP boat in there. From what I know:

1. Watch out for small ripples in the middle of the river. Often this is a underwater Bar just inches from showing.
    2. Staying to the main flow is usually your best bet.
    3. Don't overdo your first trip. Take it easy.
    4. Do NOT underestimate the Fraser. When you do it will Bite you in the ass!

Basically the ability to understand what different ripples and currents mean to your boat is a must. Learn to READ the river. If you are unsure of boating in the upper fraser I have heard of a lot of people learning to run the rivers using the Harrison as a learning place.

Good Luck and Safe Boating.

PS. With a 20fter you should be pretty safe
    Should I go Fishing or do chores.......HMMMMMM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member Crazy Drifter's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Jet boat owners

Well where to start I assume you have some boating experience. This last weekend we were down behind the sumas mtn and was kinda p/o d at all the guys that even with in 50 ft of you wouldnt slow down when approaching you but instead just kept on roaring by kicking up a nice fat wake. so #1 Use common sense out there, try not to piss anyone off, just remember when you ass is burried in that sand bar you may need their help.
    #2 When you see a boat anchored and fishing don't roar by is it going to kill you to slow down whilst passing.
    #3 Dont come roaring into the bar where others are fishing kicking up a lge wake.
    #4 For gods sake wear your life jackets just cause your in a larger boat doesn't mean #@*% can't go wrong when it does it's usually on a larger scale you would be suprised how many guy's I saw in their car toppers cruising the mouth of the vedder no gear on just merrily doing their thing.
    #5 Never trust the Fraser she is a mean piece of water like ST said she'll bite you in the ass if you don't respect her.
    #6 Patience take your time learning the boat and what she can all do. Learn to read the water carefully. I caught my self on the weekend in just over a ft. water where there wasn't a bar last year, but will be this year.
    Have fun, but think smart and keep'er safe
    Crazy D
    I don' know about you, but my honey- do list never seems to say take the weekend off and go fishing  hmmm. strange how that works

VIP Access
    Thanks

Default Jet boat owners

thanks guys, really appreciating the input so far! yes, i do have the usual basic prop boating on lakes and calm seas under my belt. Its the river & the jet thats new to me.

Default Jet boat owners

I must agree with Crazy. After a couple days of sturgeon fishing last year, we now have a couple arrigant guide boats that are gonna have a couple big wakes coming their way this year :lol: 2, 20 foot jets travelling together came withing 30 feet of our boat, like come on.

Although a lot of this has already been said. always be cautious, don't be an arrigant a$$ hole, don't run the boat right up on the beach with the engine still running as you will suck up rocks into the pump (unless its deep there), don't run the pitt or fraser canyon until you have some experience. And use COMMON SENSE!

Mike <")))))><

Contributing Member abbyfireguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Jet boat owners

Tell us waht you bought,,lets see pictures and details of your new sled....
    PM me with any questions,,I will be happy to share from my experience with you...
    I learned the hard way with a few things...
    Big thing, remember,just because you now have a jet, you're still not invinsible....

Contributing Member Crazy Drifter's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Jet boat owners

Hey 89rs a buddy of mine just bought a boat, picks it up on thurs. His first words to me were she's supposed to be able to do well over 50 mph. All I could answer him with i guess we better get a longer tow line to pull you off the bars. I"ll post it when sucks up a truck load of gravel and give a list of damaged parts. You definately want to listen to AFG, any help at avoiding the expensive learning curve is worth it's wieght in gold
    I don' know about you, but my honey- do list never seems to say take the weekend off and go fishing  hmmm. strange how that works

VIP Access
    Thanks

Default Jet boat owners

Quote Originally Posted by abbyfireguy
    Tell us waht you bought,,lets see pictures and details of your new sled....
    PM me with any questions,,I will be happy to share from my experience with you...
    I learned the hard way with a few things...
    Big thing, remember,just because you now have a jet, you're still not invinsible....
    I'll be taking you up on that PM offer, thanks!
    The boat is a 20ft Marathon, 200hp merc sportjet, 18deg reenforced hull, etc etc. Don't have any pics as of just yet.
    One thing that I am not familiar as of yet is the protocol for beaching. Coming from a fiberglass boating background, this is a new concept for me. :wink:

Contributing Member abbyfireguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Jet boat owners

I hope your dealer is going to take you out on the river for 2 or 3 hours and give you a chance to learn how to operate your new boat correctly and safely.
    This will avoid small and potentially costly damage during your learning period....
    Maintenance of your sled is a bit different from a prop boat..
    Beaching is also different,,backing off the beach with high throttle can and probably will load your pump with sand or gravel.
    This can be a real pain at least and damage your leading edges on your impellor at worst..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information