55 Coho Eyed-Eggs in Our Tank!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 55 Coho Eyed-Eggs in Our Tank!

Thanks

Default 55 Coho Eyed-Eggs in Our Tank!

Well, finally got our 55 coho eyed-eggs last week. They're sitting in our classroom tank, at about 5 C. According to the ACU count, they should hatch around March. And they will be released into the Nicomekl around April/May. :happy:

The only thing we're missing is a nice redd, so that the alevins can hide by. I totally forgot about that. Ha, I need some small river rocks.

I actually like to release them as late as possible, to get them nice and big, to increase their chances of survival. I even up the temp, towards the end, to get them nice and plump! The hatchery guys couldn't believe how huge our coho were last spring, haha I just can't go too far off with the temp, as they would get a shock getting into the river. :naughty:

The more schools get involved, the more we can make a positive impact on our kids, the environment, and the salmon runs as well.

Will try and post pics up soon, and as we progress. I know some on the board here have shared an interest on this, so thank you! :beerchug:
    "In Montana, there are three things you're never late for: church, work, and fishing." (Maclean)

VIP Access
    Thanks

Default Re: 55 Coho Eyed-Eggs in Our Tank!

Good luck with the class project please keep us posted and add some photos of them if you can!
    Why not? I don't have anything to lose but my life. . .and I got that for free!

Reports Access
    Thanks

Hey that's awesome my grandpa Larry Ramsell grows Coho out in the White Rock area.  He's been doing it for years, and they usually get the kids to help in moving the fish when they are about 6-14" from the pond back to the stream.  The kids love it, and it gives gramps a chance to show how the fish cycle goes and what we can do to help.  It's a great progam, your's sounds equally inspiring and educational, keep up the good stuff!

4. Remove Advertisements
    BCFishingReports.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member crazy_fishcreature's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats so cool how u guys are doing this. Back when i was in grade 5 i think in williams lake we raised sockey and released them into the river up there its was fun.

Thanks

Yes that is great to here these projects are still going.I worked on the maplewood farm project in the start on the seymour river loved it.I was in grade 6 and 7 was great.Unfortunatly it is a bust now from what i have seen.

Thanks

Thanks guys! It's indeed fun and rewarding. Will snap some pics this week of our set-up. Hopefully have it on here soon.
    "In Montana, there are three things you're never late for: church, work, and fishing." (Maclean)

Thanks

Shoot us some pics Augie as they develope......cool

VIP Access
    Thanks

Hi Augie, my work is actually looking into monitoring a local creek that runs through our property, improving and restoring it( if needed). We are looking at all options involved in improving this gem of a creek including the possibility of raising fish for release. I believe this creek drains into the Salmon River which is an index river so this may not be an option for this particular creek (have to find out where it drains into, don't remember the name off hand) but it is located off Rawlison Crescent in Fort Langley. After talking with the managers and director, I have convinced them this will benefit us as well as the community. Although we may not be able to release into the creek on our property we are more than willing to become involved in raising the fish for local streams and rivers as well, and the Nicomekl is only a few minutes down 232nd. I personally will be undertaking the project so any information on how to get involved, equipment needed or general info would be greatly appreciated. I will be taking the Streamkeepers Course offered through the Pacific Streamkeepers Federation and have contacted L.E.P.S. to find out more.Currently we get thousands of people a year going through on guided tours, including hundreds of school children every year. My thoughts are to have a display in our visitor centre and have it as part of our tour to discuss the importance of protecting local creeks and species. Currently we are involved in many release projects including local projects like the Vancouver Island Marmots, and Oregon Spotted Frog (which are only found currently at the Aldergrove DND base and Maria Slough). Any information or help from yourself or others on getting started would be greatly appreciated, and I can be contacted via email or pm.

Thanks

Thats very cool.

Im finishing my teacher training right now through UBC and id love to do somehting like that when i get my own classroom as I love fishing and i have years of experience keeing tropical fish (including a reef tank) in my house.

One quesion though... what do you feed them?

Would love to see the pics of the setup and when they hatch.
    http://superfluoussolitudes.blogspot.ca

VIP Access
    Location don't matter I'm Southside until they hit me...
    Thanks

This is a cool program.
    In grade 7 we got 55 coho eggs, hatched and raised them. Everything went very well and releasing them into Clayburn Creek was exciting, however, there was a pretty bad chloramine spill a couple weeks after we had released them and apparently everything was killed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information