BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on vacation with my family and staying at the in-laws in Qualicum Beach, I managed to get out for three fishing experiences thus far (I have another two weeks left on VI so I am busy planning more day trips). On trip number one I headed to Port Alberni to check out the sockeye action on the Somass River. I am not a huge fan of that fishery but figured I might as well check it out and see how it compares to the floss fishery on the Fraser River. When I got to the river, there were lots of sockeye showing but no anglers so I checked out the DFO's recreational salmon fishing notices using my Palm Treo Smartphone's web browser and low and behold - Sockeye closed in Area 29, including the tidal portion of the river. I decided to head up river to the Stamp Falls Campground and fish the pools in the area to see if there were any summer run steelies around. Fished about 6 hours with not a single take. My expectations for this first trip were not too high so I headed home in a positive state knowing that trip number two would be better.

On Tuesday, my cousin in-law Chris from Nanaimo guided me to the Canyon pools on the Nahmint River. After a grueling hike through dense bush and in and out of very treacherous canyon rock walls, we hit several runs. The river was very low and gin clear and we knew we would only have one chance to hook a steelie in each pool - the first or second cast! First pool, first cast and BANG! Chris nailed a 10 pound buck that put on a wonderful dance for us before he was brought to hand and carefully released. In the next pool I saw two steelies casually holding in some shallow clear water. I snuck up on them, crouched and cast a small Vibrax spinner about ten feet above and to their side. As it drifted past their noses they BOTH gave chase ( as did several smaller trout) but just as one of them was about to strike I must have made myself visible to them and they both peeled off. Pool spooked. Time to move on. Next pool saw lots of fish and again Chris had one on for about a minute then the fish spit the hook. We hit several more pools that afternoon but it was difficult to get the fish to strike. They were very cautious. But what a beautiful canyon! Trip 2 over no fish for me.

On Wednesday, I purchased a 15HP Johnson outboard from a nice fellow named John in Qualicum,who recently sold his Bowser Bill's Resort in Bowser. He was so nice he invited me to come along with him and his buddy Gord from Chicago on one of the "cattle boats" operated by the Oak Bay Marine Group out of Ucluelet. For $148 per person, I figured 6 hours on the salt was a good deal even we didn't catch any fish, especially if the weather was good. Well we made the drive to Ucluelet at 3:30 am and boarded the Chinook Princess at 5:45 am. We got halfway out to our destination (20 miles offshore) and the skipper of the boat came over the P.A. and announced, "Folks we're going to have to turn around and head back towards Ucluelet to fish some alternative holes. It's too rough this far out. He was not kidding. The swells were huge and it was very difficult to maintain a stationary position sitting let alone standing and trying to fish. Half of the clients on board became sea sick and deposited their breakfasts into the salt. I thought I was going to be spared the unpleasant feeling but I succombed after a few minutes and joined the heaving masses in the midst of their death throes. When we finally found some fishy water we jigged for salmon and halibut about 10 miles off the coast of Ucluelet from 8:30 a.m to 1:00 pm. At the end of the day? 2 dogfish, a couple of mackerel, a 15 pound halibut, a flounder, a ratfish, and two sea sculpins were all we had to show for. That is, all the OTHER guests had to show for. Me? Trip number three, no fish. I am a little discouraged. I am down but not out however. The anticipation of my next outing - a trip to the north Island beach fishing for pinks - is enough to keep me motivated.

Until next time, BGM

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
That trully is a great report BGM, despite the disappointment. Good luck fishing the pinks! Fly or...?
Have fun,
Rib

·
Registered
5 Posts
great fish story had me hooked the hole time you should become a writer best story i ever read for someone who caught no fish :shock: :shock:

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got out to two more fishing destinations in the last two days. I'm happy to report I'm now 1 for 5 which is better than 0 for 3! On Saturday I fished the Big Q and landed a 5 pound summer run wild steelie - mint condition. I didn't think there were that many summer runs in this system but I counted at least 15 in the three runs I fished. Not huge but very fiesty. I had another one hooked just before I left and it bolted into a gnarly tree stump that was submerged and my mainline, float, split shot and wool got completely tangled. I could see the fish just resting on the bottom, but he couldn't move as he was well hooked and achored to the stump. I waded into the run (forgetting that my wallet was in my front pocket and I was not wearing waders) to try and help free the fish and all of a sudden I saw my hook and yarn float to the surface and away he swam back to the tailout of the pool. I also caught my first sea-run cutthroat on the same outing - a nice 2 pounder that also tried to shake my hook by going ballistic.

On Sunday, I went to the mouth of the Nile Creek for some beach casting for pinks. There were about 6 other fly guys fishing when I arrived and there were lots of pinks jumping about 100 feet from shore. One fellow I talked to said he had fished the previous evening until just after dark and there were hundreds of fish jumping but he didn't get any bites despite trying all kinds of presentations and techniques. I fished for about two hours with pinks bumping into my legs and I also was not able to get them to bite. It is good to see them there though and I imagine all we need is a good rain to get the bite on again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts