BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1965 Glasspar Avalon
We rescued her from a yard last summer where it had been sitting for 4 years. We got it for free, the dudes wife just wanted it out of the yard. The trailer had a broken axle. We winched it onto a flatbed, towed her to my yard, replaced the axle on the trailer and removed the wasp nest. Took her out on the lake a few times last summer. Over the winter we tore out the whole interior and floor, installed new ribs, flooring, fiberglassed it all in, and glued down new carpet. We got the old Chrysler 90HP engine running beautifully, and I picked up a 7.5HP trolling motor at auction for $140!! Heres a before shot and a couple shots of the interior. I still want to replace the steering wheel + cable.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
myself and a friend did the resto. i need some kind of bearing puller to get that old steering wheel off... i took off that middle bolt and just reefed on it.... no go..... will look real slick with a wooden wheel!

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Very nice job man..

That is a Chrysler OB? If that thing cacks....(when it does I wouldn't fix it) There are many of the '78+ 70hp(red plug) Johnsons that come up on the used sites for under 500. Killer motors, and usually come with controls.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try this, thread the nut on the spindle a few turns but not tight. With a hammer give it a good solid whack (don't be shy). Wheel should come off...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice job man..

That is a Chrysler OB? If that thing cacks....(when it does I wouldn't fix it) There are many of the '78+ 70hp(red plug) Johnsons that come up on the used sites for under 500. Killer motors, and usually come with controls.
it is an oldie Chrysler. gonna keep my eyes open for something decent at the auctions.

Try this, thread the nut on the spindle a few turns but not tight. With a hammer give it a good solid whack (don't be shy). Wheel should come off...
will try this for sure when i find a steering wheel for the old girl.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
it is an oldie Chrysler. gonna keep my eyes open for something decent at the auctions.
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Johnson-70-horse-1980s-parts-motor_17197591

I have seen many for 300 running and lots under 5. There are many of these things around and parts are cheap. If it ever comes down to it you wouldn't be disappointed.. Crazy tough motors.

I had the same vintage chrysler 9.9 (skim read the text... didn't notice that you mentioned that yours was.... Going off the pic)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts