BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a Peg leg yesturday morning, and noticed that a husband and wife team had a number of fish they landed. I saw him land 3 and she must have landed 3-4... not to mention the one they stole off the guy who didnt speak english too well.
I was not sure I saw what I thought I saw, but my buddy and my wife said they saw the same thing. And then, we saw them reeling in another one as we drove away!

I wasnt sure which truck was theirs, and this was a day I really really wanted to see DFO down there. NO DFO to be seen. Damn.

Keep your eyes out for the European couple.. heavier set tall guy with an accent... his wife has black hair and is a little heavy too. They are heavy smokers and I think they drive a black volkswagen car. ( I think.. thats why I didnt report it) dont want to get the wrong plate down!

I also saw a few guys take foul hooked fish. In the back, in the belly, in the side..it was all considered fair game to them.

We have been getting to the river very early in the morning to get "our spot" and guys come wandering over " can I fit in here?".. "uhh.. where are you planning to stand? or did you want a shoulder ride?"

I go fishing to relax and have a good time, but lately it has just been pissing me off and I go home early.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is the nature of sockeye flossery I gave it up for those reasons and others which in time become apparent to any ethical angler

·
Registered
648 Posts
why do you ask, Duckhunter? you wanna see if he floats when you toss him into the river?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went out last night for my first sockeye fishing experience . I was also surprissed at the amount of people who countinue to fish after they have caught their limit. For being so crowded I found everyone around me to be a really nice group of people. Overall I didn't think it was as bad as I thought it was going to be after reading so many horror stories, sure people were keeping foul hooked fish, sure people were keeping over their limit and I'm sure alot of people didn't even have their liscence but that happens on every fishery. I'm not saying that these activities are okay but people will be people and there's no sense in getting worked up over it I'm just happy to have my line in the water. Bottum line is I'll be going back later this week :D
thanks
Bead Head

·
Registered
21 Posts
ogobogo said:
why do you ask, Duckhunter? you wanna see if he floats when you toss him into the river?
I would, but then the pager would go off and I'd just have to fish him out.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You meet all kinds during sockeye season.The good ,bad and ugly...
Nothing surprises me anymore...When you call people on their off base behaviour they look at you with that blank look on their face......
Foul hooked fish rarely get release by the rabid throng of warriors at Pegleg...I guess its the old pack mentality...
And Darmin, please don't label all sockeye fishers as unethical. You're not only wrong, but way out in left field making blanket statements like that...Just because someone is slightly off your standard base doesn't make them unethical.
Not getting into the flossing debate again as its a no win situation....When regs change most of us will be happier,me included...Until then its unnecessary to throw out the little barbed comments from any of our high horses... :wink:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I think it's safe to presume that there is a certain mentality that is inherent to human nature and fairly consistent regardless of the circumstances, environment or situation...it appears in varying degrees from person to person, but it appears none the less... that is to say, most people don't listen as well as they think they do, and often find it difficult to grasp the concept that they might be doing something wrong or at fault in any way by their actions. It is the reason that "blank look" exists, the veritable inability to comprehend something creates that slowness. It takes a big man to recognize he is wrong, and an even bigger man to admit it....

Now that my ridiculous blurb is out of the way...I haven't fished sockeye in many, many years, but am considering doing so this year for the freezer, once...at best. Does anyone know of any spots that are less crowded than others? I know it's a dumb question but nothing like a shot in the dark...to start my day.

Thx guys,
Rib

·
Registered
956 Posts
ribwart said:
I think it's safe to presume that there is a certain mentality that is inherent to human nature and fairly consistent regardless of the circumstances, environment or situation...it appears in varying degrees from person to person, but it appears none the less... that is to say, most people don't listen as well as they think they do, and often find it difficult to grasp the concept that they might be doing something wrong or at fault in any way by their actions. It is the reason that "blank look" exists, the veritable inability to comprehend something creates that slowness. It takes a big man to recognize he is wrong, and an even bigger man to admit it....
Rib
Holy crap, that was a lot of chatter to say some people just could care less.

But I tend to agree with what you are saying, I think.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Yeah...I have been known to get a bit wordy at times....especially when I'm trying to be politically correct, and when I am this damned tired!!! :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
ribwart said:
Yeah...I have been known to get a bit wordy at times....especially when I'm trying to be politically correct, and when I am this damned tired!!! :lol:
OOPS... does this mean the wooden leg thing might be out of place?

·
Registered
956 Posts
over limit

I know of these people for whom the topic was started in reference to. My Dad and I actually showed up early one morning in Minto Channel and these people showed up shortly after we did. People near us were yelling at them for their previous days activities of taking 8 fish home. I wasn't there, so I couldn't say that it was true. I did ask them however how their fishing was the previous day and they openly admitted that the had taken 8 fish. He was either ignorant or dumb, or both. I didn't see him do it, so I had no proof. But one things for sure, if I see him doing it, he will be called in.

·
Registered
648 Posts
you know Hunter, I kinda thought the leg comment might not be politically correct, but then, you should hear some of the things that I don't post!!!

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
I really really wanted to see DFO down there. NO DFO to be seen. Damn.
But they were out in full force at Herrling on Saturday and Sunday this past week. They fined several people and confiscated gear for fishing with barbed hooks. Good to see them there. Fishing was slow Saturday but picked up Sunday.

·
Registered
730 Posts
POACHERS

Poachers suck and I see it happen all the time, I unfortunately work with one of them and bug him about it all the time and hope one day he gets caught

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am not arguing my point here; I am just suggesting these three options:

Just because there is no DFO officer around does not mean that you can't do something about it. This sort of action (Illegal Fishing) needs to stop, simply yelling at a guy or threatening him is certainly not the answer. Take down some info; get his plate, car make and model. DFO officers, Conservation officers and RCMP all deal with this. However both DFO (Federal) and Conservation officers (Provincial) are in low numbers from a lack of funding or care on behalf of the government(s). They do patrol and they do follow up if you can get all the info you can for them. I know we all care about our resources, so let's do our part. Most of us have a cell phone, call one of these agencies.

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Most of us have a cell phone, call one of these agencies
The DFO guy at Herrling on Saturday said a LOT of the tips he gets are phoned in so that's good news. Just wish there were more of them, especially during the sockeye season.

·
Registered
85 Posts
HipHipHooray for DFO at Herrling Island!

I was there too Big Green Machine, and they checked another member from this site and myself. We were proud to show our licenses, stamps, and proper gear. One officer was nice enough to show me his 9mm handgun. A nice chromer with black stock. They're doing a great job of disguising themselves. We thought they were a bunch of beer guzzling roughnecks that were about to budge in between us to fish...and then...surprise!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fishon said:
However both DFO (Federal) and Conservation officers (Provincial) are in low numbers from a lack of funding or care on behalf of the government(s).

Most of us have a cell phone, call one of these agencies.
lack of funding means lack of enforcement. Writting down a plate etc is not always going to get results. With the hundreds of cars and trucks out there on the river, its not always easy to get the right plate written down. And really, on a priority basis.. what do you think the RCMP would do.. attend a call for poaching fish or a car accident?

And I know last year they had their hands full a few times with the Natives ramming their boats.. so I am not sure that a phone call will bring any other results than making you feel better.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Keep calling it in guys, this undercover business has just begun, look for the same stuff on the smaller rivers.
Were gonna clean this SH!Te up, one run at a time.

People that claim we can't make a difference, are like a disease, don't let it spread.

Take a description, anything you can. Why not try being friendly and getting names, pretended you find the crappy behavior amusing, most scumbags love to talk about themselves.

There is gonna be Riverwatchers coming to a river near you, get involved, its very simple.

The experiences we enjoy while angling are what we make of them. It's starts with the anglers and not the authorities, keeping turning a blind eye and things will further degrade.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts