BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would just throw both questions into the one post....

#1. I have a 2000 Merc 4 stroke and was thinking of having a tune up done. I had a mis issue when I got it this spring, but new plugs and replacing the cracked fuel filter solved it. I find in runs smooth under load but kicks a bit when idling in neutral. Most noticeable when the ear muffs are on in the driveway and it is out of the water. I understand these Motors can just purrrrr. I called M&P marine and they immediately suggested a $350 tune up. Do I really need to go the full oil, plug, greasing, fuel filter etc just to have what could be a carb adjustment done. I understand an adjustment and re-synchronization is not uncommon. Recommendations on someone/place Merc savvy who would look after me fairly are appreciated.

#2. My Lund has a great deal of carpet in it. Carpet doesn't hose off very well and collects dirt. I was thinking of removing the floor boards and rod hatch covers, front deck etc and replacing the carpet with some kind of vinyl product. (Fall project) Has anyone attempted this and how hard do you think it would be to get the carpet off the current flooring. What would you recommend for the flooring and where can you get it. Is it easy to glue down.

Thanks
Hoochee

·
Registered
708 Posts
did the floor in a couple of my boats. Outdoor vinyl works well. I would use regular plywood underneath, just paint all the exposed areas so there is no water absorption by the wood when water gets in your boat. Work fine for me in the past and I am about to do the boat I own now the same way. I glued the vinyl down with contact cement and was pleased with the results.

·
Registered
587 Posts
you can buy the marine MDO ply wood at the hardware store....if they don't have outdoor/marine MDO than get the regular MDO and use a product like thompsons water seal. The vinyl that is normally used is just an outdoor patio vinyl that again comes from the hardware store in many colours, ususally gray or tan. Use a spray on adhesive (easiest) or a roll/brush on (messiest) and the vinyl will stick quite well to the wood. Use stainless staples on the corners and spend some time making the corners and folds nice and tight...this is where the water will get in between the wood and vinyl and cause problems. Use a good scraper and some elbow grease to get the carpet off...just make sure you find all the screws and staples...there are usually quite a few.
As for the engine....they should never be tuned out of the water...they need that back pressure on the exhaust comming out of the prop hub to run proper. If this only happens when the motor is out of the water I would not worry about it. If it happens in the water then it is time to do something. Pending on where you are most of the merc dealers are good...we have to go through quite a bit of customer satisfaction servays and call backs to make sure we are up to merc standards. We are in chilliwack if you are closer to this way come on by. By the sounds of it the motor is running a little lean if it "kicks" once in a while at idle, but that is hard to tell unless I can actually hear it. Does this "kick" happen when the motor has been ran for a while? What kind of fuel do you use? Do you have a fuel/water separator? If so...how many micron?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't noted the "kick" when the unit has been running in the water. I will look closely next time I take it out. I've only owned this unit for a few months and it hasn't had much time to sit idle. ;D
I was noticing it when I was giving it a run of fresh water with the ear muffs on in my driveway. I always do this after a run in the chuck.
It sounds like the in water v/s out of water back pressure thing may be a factor.
I run premium fuel, aside from the occasional gas dock that has only 1 grade.
I have no water separator and two portable fuel tanks.

Judging by the responses to the flooring, it looks to be advisable to replace the plywood when doing the job.?

Thanks again..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Your motor requires 85 octane, which is the US regular, up here we are 87 which is all you need to run. The main reason to run Higher octane fuel is higher compression burns it better, but all marine engines (if they are built to last) run lower octane and are designed to burn regular. Paying for premium is a waste of $$$$. Also check your tank for debris and such.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What type of lund do you have? I run a 1800 fisherman. Love the boat, the carpet not so much. Pretty rare to see a lund with the wrap around windshield up here... Never understood why there weren't more around

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sandhead;The boat is a 2000 Lund Sendero 1650 with a max engine rated 90 merc 4 stroke. Not sure why we don't see too many here aside from the not so friendly following sea transom. It sits a bit low with the 90hp and full fuel. I ran lunds (tiller outboards) as a guide for a number of years up the inside passage and found them quite good/durable for the price. (very early 80's, and beat the #*@$ out of them)
Just added a canister water/fuel filter as well as a new 12 gallon tank.
Thanks to cascademarine, I am going to save my pennies and go for the standard octane fuel now.
Checked the tanks and no debris. Haven't been out in her since the original post :( but will be reviewing the performance in the next night or two in a pitt river run)
:beerchug: Hoochee

·
Registered
119 Posts
i install vinyl decks all year around. use all ducan products and follow the directions to a "T". best advice is use treated plywood also. theres a bit of work to it. installing the plywood, filling joints and holes with rubber filler, gluing down the vinyl properly and sealing all of the seams. if done right without shortcuts it will last along time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.