BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I get? My budget is just under 200 bucks, I already have the reel. Now I just need some opinions on what is available to me and try and get the best bang for my buck. I am looking for a 10' 8wt, preferrably a 4 piece. I have looked hard at the Echo rods and they seem pretty nice, as well as under budget. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
694 Posts
In that price range I would say go with the echo rods. They are a great value :beerchug: You won't go wrong with one, just make sure they fit your needs and casting style.

·
Registered
409 Posts
What about REDINGTON RED FLY2 TRAVEL FLY ROD (10', 8WT, 4PC) for $150.00 (on sale) with free shipping in Canada and the U.S. from ReelFlyRod.com. My buddy just picked one up, very nice rod for the price. Took the rod for a ride on the Morice last week, I was impressed with the rod and the new look is very nice.

REDINGTON RED FLY2 TRAVEL FLY ROD
(10' length, 8 weight, 4 piece) The fresh, new Red.Fly2 boasts an updated fast action, new graphite construction, refined components, and a great new look. Flat out the 'best in class' performance value around.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Echo's are nice. For the $200 range there are simply too many rods to choose from. Sage, Scott, Loomis, Fenwick, Loop, TFO, St.Croix, etc. all have rods in that price range that will be right for somebody. The key is to find the one that is right for you, so you're not pawning it off in a month to buy a different one. Cast a few and go from there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Take you reel with you and go out to your local shop and try a few rods. I know the guys at Reaction in Abby will let you try out rods. I know that I have spent my share of time trying different rods, trying to make my mind up in what to get next. The Redington is not a bad rod, I have one but I like something with a little more backbone. There is a huge difference in the different rods. Make sure you get one that matches YOUR casting style or you will never be happy. I made that mistake when I bought my 8wt and now trying to get more money from the boss for yet another 8wt is hard, they just don't understand the difference in rod actions. Take your time and make sure you are going to be happy ;D.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
my dad is actually going to buy an Echo 8wt or at least he is pretty sure. he went to M&Y and they let him cast 10rods all 10' 8wts in the price range of 200 or under and he said he liked it best. the guy there also mentioned the Redingtons but also said the 91/2' is a better action rod compared to the 10'

get your butt out there Trav and cast some rods you will find one you love ;D

my new Sage reel should be in tomorrow then i will be looking for a new 8wt also ;D probably a Sage to match the reel as i love my 5wt Sage great action.

tight lines

HOOK

·
Registered
218 Posts
First I would seriously consider NOT getting a 10' rod, second, I've heard the TFO deer creek is supposed to be a really sweet rod...The echo's are nice, I'm just not super thrilled with them!!!
I had a 10' sage xp and it sucked large..the 9' version was a nice stick..10' changes the characteristic's of the rod to much for my liking..If your looking for a nice rod for chums etc. stick with the 9' models...I do own a 10' rod and it's a 6wt z axis...The extra lenght is nice for nymph fishing rivers with an indicator...I don't think you'll need to worry about that with your stick..

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I also went to my shop and cast every rod they had in the 9wt. I ended up with the reddington 9' and love it. But it took me an afternoon of casting to finally pick a rod that I liked but it was worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have a look at Redington CPS rods - they are real bang for your buck.

But always try before you buy, what is good for me could be awful for you- I like fast actioned rods - I fish Sage xp's - Zaxis's - xi2"s and Tcr's - But have to admit that the CPS is as good as anything I have and a hell of a lot cheaper.

All the best
Mike

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
A lot of good info here, but you did the right thing and you got the rod you're gone to be happy with. Now, keep your fly in the water and enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, pgBilly, for the kind referral. I own Reel Fly Rod in the U.S. and we are an Authorized Dealer for several rod & reel manufacturers. Redington packs more value into their rods that any manufacturer I have found. The Red.Fly 2 is a very impressive fast action rod for $149 that comes with a lifetime warranty. Beautiful caramel color blank and plenty of power. The CPS rods are nothing short of amazing. Redington's CPS has won numerous accolades and awards. Fly Rod & Reel magazine ranked it 5th out of a field of 54 8 and 9-weight fly rods, including Sage, Thomas & Thomas, Loomis, Echo, and plenty of other rods costing 3 TIMES AS MUCH. It is a very fast rod and not ideally suited for beginners. When you consider they sell for $299.00 (we sell them for $269.00), I haven't thrown anything that compares. Now I fish the CPS exclusively and leave my Sage rods at home. We offer the lowest prices on Redington and Islander Reels and ship to Canada every day. If a rod you order isn't exactly what you're looking for, just send it back for a full refund. Tight Lines, Todd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.