BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read with some interest recently of the predictions for 2006 Sockeye returns. Many of you likely read the article in the Vancouver Sun & Province regarding the historical # of fish returning to various rivers throughout BC, the # returned last year and the forcast for 2006.
It initially presented a pretty rosy picture, but when you read between the lines, the returns are not expected to be proportionate to the returns of other years, and considerable amounts of ink were used to tell us where the problems are and how they plan to tackle these problems..........right...... You see just two days after the article hit the paper, there was a lot of discussion between fisheries and special interest groups wanting to take a close look at ALL the fishing methods used in the Fraser by recreational fishers......Will they look closely at this and then prepare some new rules? I think not. But, I do think you will see a new breed of enforcement officer on the river this summer, and their high visibility will likely curtail some of the illegal activites in all river systems. Coincidentally, a week later all charges against members of the Cheam band for alledgedly fishing illegally in the Fraser River were dropped........Lack of evidence? I wish they would meet and settle this issue before the summer, because I think the salmon wars are.about to take a right turn..........Ortho

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I would welcome more COs as well as DFO enforcement "types" on the Fraser. More friendly spot checks to check for adherence to retention quotas, legal gear etc. and of course illegal netting. Dare I say selective fishing techniques too?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
recent news articles say about 26 river systems in BC have endangered sockeye runs.....cultis lake near the top of the list......oddly enough they mention every reason from commercial, and sports over fishing. el nino. global warming....you name it but nothing about native fishing in the fraser....go figure

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The article was not mentioned to start slamming the native population, but rather to bring to attention the likely fallout of the recent meetings, which may or may not affect the rec. fishery in the Fraser this year.....For your information the native fishery WAS mentioned prominently in the article and attempts were being made to rectify ALL the probable causes....Time will tell........Ortho

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
native fishing was not mentioned in the articles i read or the tv news i watched.....everything else was

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm sure the powers that be will find a new and improved way to screw up yet another fishing season.
I won't start on this one as what I have to say from every angle,even being true and common sense, would not be politically correct yet again.......
Just glad I don't rely on commercial fishing to feed my kids or put them through college..They'd starve and be uneducated as I'm not in the special select few who get to net and fish whenever and where-ever the urge strikes......
If you really think they are going to add one nickel to fund increased numbers of enforcement officers,,I have some waterfront property for sale in The Sahara Desert you might be interested in...
Time to level the playing field and end the reverse descrimination...........
Whew,,,,done now... :?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Steve....you'r starting to sound better!!LOL.....How much for the Sahara property next to that beautiful oasis??........Are you able to make the fishout?..........Ortho

·
Registered
612 Posts
I will give it my best try....I have a steelie derby Thursday 9th on the Vedder so we'll see how the arm holds out...
Its killing me right now ,but I was at Physio pumping weights all morning.. :cry:
I need to get back to a normal life soon before I go crazy and drive the wife and kids nuts too.. :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts