BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
Well seeing as you asked.....LOL Always an adventure as they say and this w/e was no different. got a

ride up with scooter on fri with some high hopes of big Blackwater and Pennask rainbows. The weather

has been unsettled for some time now and everyone is anxiouse for a change. Tunkwa lake is in the

middle of an algae bloom and catching was slow. Members hit a couple smaller lakes in the area with

fairly good success. The weather remained unstable for most of the w/e with gusty winds on fri,

lightning stoms on Sat and mostly sunny on Sun so we certainly had a real mix and did effect the bit at

times. Chronamids had limited success as with may fly mergers ,cadis pupas, scuds,flashy stimulators

and even some dry may flys. A special thanks to crazyfishcreature for rowing my @$$ around

for the day oh and we did have the most unusual catch of the day, maybe Justin will post the pic.

cheers marko 8)

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
I echo Marko's comments but let's not forget the clinic that Ribby and Fish Finder put on, on Friday. They hammered em on Mayfly and Damselfly nymphs and the odd Chironomid. I did OK once I dialed in and caught some beauties over the day and a half I fished, with some nice 3 pounders in the mix. All on a size 14 pale green Mayfly nymph stripped in quickly and a couple of bonus fish caught on the troll. Right below surface. Thanks to Kevin for the great Lake suggestion while Tunkwa was re-grouping, just like the Canucks. It was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Thanks for the awesome breakfast Jamie on Saturday!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
So here is Ortho's 2 cents.......Good fun, for sure!.......pretty poor fishing at Tunkwa. It certainly is off my places to fish....Three trips there and not a fish to be had....I fished Leighton and had some success with fish in the 2 lb. range.....and the trip out to the other regional lake was definitely the most frustrating morning ever....Ribby and Kevin dial in and they are absolutely slaying fish while I am untangling line, dropping flies into the lake, losing gear, and ....and....and......untangling another mess and....etc. One hr. of hot action and I never got a line into the water.....Some yelling and foul language rewarded me with ione of kevin's specials.....Thanks, buddy......(He saw & heard the wrath of Ortho)....Two or three casts and I am into my first at that lake.....It was the first of many and the secret ingredient was colour and size......
Back at the Tunkwa resort, it was an absolute mudhole and without going off too hard......for the $$$$ they charge, the place is very old, worn, and in need of some serious upgrades........The parties on Friday & SAt. night and watching the Canucks win was also really fun....Eighty people in deck chairs watched the game on a 36 inch screen set up in a doorway.......Lotsa fun!!
I think the final tally for the event was 14 members and I hope everyone had as much fun as me....Nice to see everyone, for sure.....Thanks, Kevin
and a big thanks to chef Jamie and we did not have that crib game, Marko....next time.
The next unofficial gathering will be a fins and skins at Sandpiper Golf Club sometime in the fall when there is a lot of fish around and an overnight at Kilby Park will be combined with a couple of days fishing........I am happy to organize with some others yet to step up.....
I ventured to the Shushap on Sunday for some trout action at Scotch Creek and had fun with a few decent fish but nothing to get too excited about, and, as always....looking forward to the next gathering of rookies and hard cores alike.........Ortho

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
For starters it was a great trip. I want to thank all that showed up. Fun times Fun times. Jamie Thanx for the great food. it was excellent. Tunkwa wasnt fishing great. A few of us caught fish the first day but the next few days had to venture elsewhere to find the fish. Some great scenery up there. Saw a few bears, a bunch of deer,and some other lil critters. Here are a few pictures to show all: Heres a pic from friday night. approx 60-70 people showed up for the game.

Heres the lil critter that Marko and I caught on our adventure: turtle turtle

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks everyone for a great time. Although we did manage a few fish off of Tunkwa, we're thanking our lucky stars there were other waters in the area that were producing. MayFly Nymphs, Scuds, and the odd Damsels, were the ticket to some great action. Although it's nice to pick somewhere new everytime, maybe it's time we head back to Roche next year! Nice One thanks for the Crown Royal Black. Hope those flies bring you some bent rods. Jamie our executive chef, the eats you cook is outstanding. I'm in for next years plan where ever we end up. Ribby as usual was a great boat mate. If you guys could only hear us banter back and forth..hilliarious! Uncle Bob, as usual thanks for the ear, and words of wisdom. Sturg..you made it even after being at game 5!...that's detication..CFC I'll be forever that guys sidekick!...it was finally good to get to know you BGM,...and Eric I want to go to Andros man!...Marko and scooter, it wouldn't be a fishout with out you guys. Have you ever missed one? Anyone else I missed ( I know there's a few) I'm glad you all could make it up. See you at next year's spring fling!

Finder:cheers:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hey guys! Sounds like a great time - even though the fishing was a bit off. Hey FF - I checked out some of your photos on f/b and it looks like you got into some decent trout. I also got a report from another member who hit Heffley Lake and it sounds like they did fine, although the weather wasn't cooperating which may have turned the fishing off also. So here I am with my 5 wt rods and trout flies all ready to go, but just can't make it out quite yet! Maybe later in the year, or I'll have to take the whole family up to Kamloops for a few days and sneak in a few days at a lake. My 3 year old has been steadily playing with her "Dora the Explorer" rod and reel that she got from Santa...

Thanks for sharing - and FF and Rib, maybe we can do some fly swapping for some of those flies... ;)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tempting the unknown 101

Here's a trailer that was put together from this years fishout. This time around we found it very challenging to compile lots of good quality footage seeing as we were so spread out on the water. Nonetheless we got just enough to give you this. Enjoy!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Great work Kev, we all had a blast that weekend, good film montage of our getaway. you are really getting good at editing video these days..Jamie

·
Registered
886 Posts
Very well done Finder! :thumbup: Even Ribby gets a good chunk of camera time! Does Ribby get any royalties? 8)

I always say I will make an appearance to one of these outings but never seem to make it. One day gents, one day!

All the best to all of you for the remainder of this stillwater season! :cheers: sage

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Royalties!::) I was behind the camera a bunch of the time too! (although not enough for finder...;)) Damn rights I get royalties! :D

Let's just say, (for now), I get the pleasure of the company of friends, some great movies and I get even more excuses to go fishing!

Great work on the vid bro, you and CFC did a great job with it!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
that was a great video, good job, and that bird was absolutely priceless,lmao.:cheers:8):thumbup:...holmes*

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys.:cheers: It takes quite a while to go through all the different fottage to find the best usable material, and then to try and do something with it. In my original movie from the Shuswap, the other cast of charactors were the main focus. The opportunity was there to get some great footage so I took it. Sometimes it's just the way it works out. I'll try and use what ever I got evertime. This trip was a blast, but I found out first hand fiming on still waters is not as easily done as on land. Especially if you want to film some action from another boat. You have to pretty much be in their face to get something usable. Oh well I'm still learning, but having fun with it as well.....and I thought Ribby was royalty?....according to him anyway!;););)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The vids just get better & better

Kevin, I gotta hand it to ya..........That is a sweet vid, for sure. You really do have a talent there. I am sure it takes hrs. to comb thru all the footage, but the end results just keep improving.....Very nice, for sure................Ortho:peace:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts