BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With steelhead season coming to an end, some of us will spend the next few months targetting a very overlooked bass fishery! Im making this thread to see some pics, reports, and just talk about tactics! Good luck everyone and if you havent tried this fishery yet, you really should give it a go!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm wondering if there will be any bass in Pitt Polder or Minnekhada...since both were drained almost dry last summer

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wondering if there will be any bass in Pitt Polder or Minnekhada...since both were drained almost dry last summer
Was at minnekhada yesterday, saw two the size of my finger cruising around but that was it. I was throwing a huge popper and had 0 bites in 4 hours. Usually you see tons at the surface there but to only see two was very bad (depending on which way you look at it)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Saw lots of guys parked on side of road and fishing Hatzic from shore. Are they fishing for Bass? Or Carp maybe?? Probably 10 cars.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Carp and crappie I think. Always wondered about the slough on the other side of the highway. Anyone ever fished it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carp and crappie I think. Always wondered about the slough on the other side of the highway. Anyone ever fished it?
Fished it alot in previous years, used to be decent for carp but people would come and take everything they catch and then 2 years ago we got skunked like 10 times in a year so we havent been back and i heard from friends that its complete crap now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Fished Deer lake on saturday and got a few on the smaller side and missed one about 2-3lbs. Lots of little guys, but not worth my time targeting.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What would you guys recommend for deer lake at this time of year? Id try frogs or poppers but is there anything else that works?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Fishing a Senko style worm,either wacky or Texas rig weightless is a fantastic early season technique. Fish really,really slowly. As the day warms up try burning a large spinnerbait parallel to weed lines.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I caught a couple this past Sunday. The bigger of the two was 6lbs, on my Berkley dial scale (need to invest in a digital one sometime, for a more precise weight reading ). I was using a Texas rigged creature bait, casting it around structure. The fish don't seem to be aggressively biting yet, probably due to inconsistent temperatures along with the "pre-spawn" phase happening now.

As bassrock mentioned, fishing it slow on the bottom is key.

·
Registered
136 Posts
IMG_20160412_164430.jpg

I agree with FishOn36, the fish were just slightly taking it. Extremely subtle bites. I was just using these in deeperwater (not much at the deer lake though???)

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
A couple tips that will help you find decent bass.

-get some sort of boat,anything will do. Pelican 15.5' poly from Canadian Tire for example.

-master two techniques...One slow one fast. The amount of tackle available is mind blowing...simplify.Spinnerbait and Senko for example.

-learn to cast ;) I mean REALLY learn to cast. I practice pitching and flipping at playgrounds and skipping in the driveway under the car(simulate docks). It will make you a better overall fishermen for all species.

-never forget the deep weed line. The edge of floating weed gets all the attention. The the deep weed holds better fish.

-fish structure transition...A small patch of piss grass in a lily field,anything different,no matter how small. Will usually hold a whopper !

Hope some of this helps,let me know :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much for the tips man, i really appreciate it as this year has been extremely frusturating so far!
so far i have been skunked...
-twice at minnekhada
-once at deer
-pitt marsh (today)
i couldve for sure caught smaller ones but ive been throwing big things ranging from senkos, craws, topwater frogs etc etc. ive tried fishing structure and everything thats brought me success in previous years. The problem was that minnekhada was drained last summer which probably killed 80% of the bass so its not worth fishing this year. It was my second time at deer so i didnt really know where to fish. And at pitt marsh i was an idiot and went to the wrong side of it and fished a 10x10 hole for 2 hours cause i thought it was all drained when in reality i was on the wrong side of the road the whole time which i found out on the drive back home. Its still early so im not too worried and im still getting comfortable using a baitcaster!

Side note: i want to give the pond at the swanset golf course a try, but when i went there today i didnt want to walk through the country club and all the fields through the main entrance because i wanna keep myself as hidden as possible hahaha. Can anyone tell me any other way to get to the secret pond there or is the only way through the main parking lot? Feel free to pm me if you dont wanna say it here! Cheers!

·
Registered
153 Posts
i couldve for sure caught smaller ones but ive been throwing big things ranging from senkos, craws, topwater frogs etc etc.
-master two techniques...One slow one fast. The amount of tackle available is mind blowing...simplify.Spinnerbait and Senko for example.
As bassrock mentioned, keep your tackle arsenal simple. One bottom contact bait (Texas rigged creature bait, wacky worm, jig etc), and one "search" bait as some call it. Something that fish will actively chase down... that being a crankbait, spinnerbait, or even a swim jig. I prefer a spinnerbait.

I take two rods with me, usually pre-rigged. One with a Texas rig creaturebait, and spinnerbait on the other. I started bass fishing last May, and have caught probably 98% of my fish on just those two lures. Throw in some top water lures just for fun. No need to throw your whole tackle box out there, cause you're spending more time tying up, then you are actually fishing!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
578 Posts
My biggest was a seven pounder out of Hatzic a few years back. Since I am fly only, my bass fishing is somewhat limited. However summer top water bass rivals any rainbow, cutthroat, or brookie, dry fly action I have found. If you are going to target them with a fly rod, summer evenings are best and poppers can't be beat. For spring and fall it's minnow patterns and Wooley buggers. In the heat of summer when every other fish is turning off, Micropterus Salmoides, aka swamp trout are turning on!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts