BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a scouting mission at furry yesterday. No signs yet.

Any word on the limits this year?

·
Registered
109 Posts
SATURDAY JULY 22 UPDATE

Went to FURRY CREEK at Dawn.

It was still Higher Tide, Windy with Rain.
There were about 10 guys out. Half gear...the other half -> Fly.

No bent rods, No beached fish ... Nothing!

Went to SQUAMISH (Mamquam).
About a dozen fishermen there ... with a couple dozen more arriving over the hours.

No fish ROLLING or RISING.
No Hits for a few hours.

My friend using a FLY ... caught 1 Fresh Male drifting very Shalllow run.
About 1 1/2 later he caught one more.
The FLY ROD was the only hope..... this early. (My opinion)

I worked the waters for over 6 hours with Gear (Buzz, Spinners, Tubes, Spoons) with not a Single Hit.

I only saw (3) fish in about 6 hours being on the line.
Very .... Very Slow. We left at noon hour.

Stopped back at FURRY CREEK for the LOW TIDE. (Noon)
There were about 30 guys there. Apparently .... dozens had come and gone.

NO BENT RODS, NO ROLLS or RISERS, NO SEALS, NO FISH! extremely slow

I personally do not even think the "Schools are late" for what ever that means.
2 years ago ... i did not see any significant numbers till at least end of July.

I think we are all just "WILLING" it to occur.
Yes.... and day now a nice school "Could" show up. So it's nice to get out.
However, has not happened -> YET.

Tight lines all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Furry creek has been extremely slow with little to no signs of fish for the entire month. But ive been doing pretty good on the Squamish most evenings this week. 12345.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Squamish above confluence of Mamquam looks really milky, probably less then 5 inches of vis

·
Registered
109 Posts
FISHING REPORT UPDATE: Furry Creek, Squamish (Mamquam)

Still mainly SLOW.
More fish are starting to arrive and move through systems.

FURRY is STILL DEAD! (weird, cause fish are coming in on the Squamish)

* In my opinion not even worth your time stopping. Doesn't matter time (Morning or Evening) nor does TIDE seem to matter. Not that you may not get lucky and encounter a school. Everyone seems to agree that so far Furry has just been brutal!

SQUAMISH:

More fish are moving through. Not "Tons" but it is possible to do okay in the Morning or Evening. Afternoon.... they (What little is there) are really shutting down.

I recommend the area just downstream of the Mamquam connector.
Fly Rods (Little Pink Flies) seem to be producing significantly more than Gear. Jigs are also working.

NO REAL ACTION as of YET with: Spoons, Spinners

Another week (and getting better every day) and the waters should be "Boiling with them".
This year we have much higher water levels than last time. Patience is needed.

Saw a Big Brown Bear going across the Mamquam the other morning. Seemed harmless and went about it's way. However, still freaks me out to this day when ever i'm around a BIG BROWN in the Wild.

CONSERVATION OFFICERS have been at SQUAMISH (Mamquam) almost EVERY DAY.

Please make sure you have your Licence, Proper gear (Single Barbless Hooks) and only 1 Fish Retention.

·
Registered
109 Posts
[HR][/HR]Beautiful Saturday .... for a drive. lol

SQUAMISH UPDATE

Went later in the morning around 10am.
Gorgeous sunshine .... lots of people out. Many fishermen leaving empty handed.

Chatted with a guy who was there from 6am-10 -> He caught one fish and saw few bent rods.
Still very ... very slow. I stood in a group of Fly Guys for 3-4 hours and only saw one fish caught ... no other "Bites". Was standing along the Squamish downstream of the Mamquam.

ANOTHER WEEK of Patience....

Report to moderator

·
Registered
208 Posts
Was at the capilano this am, absolutely nothing there, no jumpers, no fish being caught, so seems to be similar to Furry Creek. Very different than 2 years ago.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Effective dates:

Effective 00:01 hours August 1, 2017 until further notice, there is no fishing
for pink salmon
in the following waters:

Mamquam and Cheakamus Rivers, and Squamish River above the powerline at 9 mile.

Squamish River below the powerline at 9 mile remains open to the retention of
pink salmon with a daily limit of one (1) per day until further notice.

Variation Order number 2017-379

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
It's going to be crowded on the part of the Squish that remains open. Plus, there are FN openings.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's going to be crowded on the part of the Squish that remains open. Plus, there are FN openings.
It was crowded last Saturday morning already, and that was without the new closures. Mind you, not peg leg or many spots along the vedder crowded, but, crowded enough that i had a couple of guys telling me no, the 50 feet on either side of them was not available for me to fish in, it was just too tight and to move on. What i wanted to say was, "thanks for your suggestion, but I'm fine right here", but, after watching no one catch anything anyway, it was easier to just keep moving.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Been up to the Squamish a couple times since Friday.

Numbers are showing more. With lots more to come.
The males are mostly still chrome with little to no Humps showing yet.

Flys are still producing more than anything else. As mentioned, green works well ... but cant go wrong with the traditional pink.

Lots more FISH to ARRIVE! (Season is really only about 1 week behind). When there are no "Zombies or Humpy's" around..... that means way more fish to come.

FURRY CREEK: is finally starting to show some good numbers. When a school or two swims by.... everyone is hooking up! Good Luck all.

POSTING REPORTS:

* I personally hope that THOUSANDS of FAMILIES go out and enjoy the FISHERY. This isnt exactly a secret "Steel Head Hole" we are talking about. The more RECREATIONAL FISHERMEN in BC who get a chance to get out and ENJOY the FISHERY..... the more people who will SUPPORT the RECREATIONAL FISHERY! This is one of the only remaining abundant fisheries that give the "Average person" a chance to really catch a nice fish (Especially Kids and Newcomers). I totally disagree with "ANYONE" who thinks likewise. In order to build a sport, one must have passionate and engaging participants.

SEAGULL CAUGHT! (lol) On Friday Morning was casting out and caught a SeaGull. The hook didnt get in, just line wrapped around the wing. I was amazed at how CALM the seagull was. Didnt even try to bite me once or move away. Just sat patiently on the ground as i unwrapped the line.

Anyone know what the LIMIT is on Seagulls?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Squamish River Report: Wed Aug 9, 2017

Pink Salmon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYf9Kpt3Ml8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrIZlQdMmaQ

Skipped off from work (Great if you run your own small business) and went up to the Squamish ..one more time. In "theory" the amount of fish has been growing in significance, every day now.

*The fishery is LATE this YEAR.
I'd say 7-10 days. Lots more fish are moving in!

We arrived at 5:30 am.
Only about 10 cars in the lot at that time. Probably about 2 dozen more showed in the morning.

The Strategy was to use either: SMALL PINK or GREEN FLYS.

I original tried throwing small pink spoons with my Spinning Rod set up. Unfortunately, my FLY REEL self destructed the other day ...and i have not purchased a new one yet. (I'm a total Novice)

Switched to using a FLOAT SET UP: 20g, 5 ft leader, Running split shots -> Pink Fly. A CENTRE PIN (Float) set up would be outstanding! but i just made do with what i had.

Caught about 5 fish. My friend caught similar. He also landed & released a very nice BULL TROUT (Dolly). We kept (1) fish today.... all others released with care.

There was a group of American Tourists with their Guide just above us. Felt sorry that the fish were not being more co-operative. The numbers are starting to show, but the fish are not being caught in the "typical" numbers as in past years.

1. FLY's are Still the main Technique for action.
2. FLOAT second. (Weight the leader with small split shots to keep that fly down!)
3. Chucking hardware a distant 3rd.

Good Luck all and Enjoy!
Every day the fishery is getting in MORE PINKS!

PS: FURRY CREEK

Stopped by for about 1hr in the early afternoon on the way home from Sqauamish.
Lots of guys out there. 20 ft separation all along the entire stretch. LOW TIDE (Which is usually the best).

Saw fish rolling .... but hardly nothing BITING.

Report to moderator

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a fisheries alert about Biotoxin sanitary closure for Squamish harbor, I wonder if up the river is closed too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts