BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a new blank. Just started to build a sage 3106L. Wanted to do some different more "custom" stuff so i opted to use a "skeleton" reel seat where the barrel is actually cork that i shape down to correct size. This seat really allows my hand to sit purely on cork and avoid having my hand resting on the seat/threads like my current set up. I also wanted the handle to look significantly different than anything else on the flow. In order to do this, i have incorporated burl rings that i have put in there off-axis to give it an alternate look.

Here is my progress thus far:

My self built power wrapper,
IMG-20101221-00018.jpg

Glue up of the lower part of the handle,
IMG-20101221-00019.jpg

Almost finished product of the reel seat and lower part of the handle,

IMG-20101223-00023.jpg

Glue up of the upper handle,

IMG-20101223-00025.jpg

More to come...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
as promised, here is a little bit more progress. i have completed the handle and begun to wrap the guides. I almost have the butt section finished and here is an example of the wraps i am doing.
IMG-20101224-00026.jpg
IMG-20101225-00029.jpg

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is actually a skeleton reel seat. The barrel is made of cork rings that i have essentially glued to the blank and then shaped down to the proper size. There is a hood under the upper part of the handle that the reel fits into.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the desk and drawer set was also built by myself. i made it originally for fly tying, hence why it is much taller than a standard table so i can sit on a stool and have the vice, or in this case lathe, at eye level.

·
Registered
335 Posts
bro that is a SICK rod!!!! do you have a background in doing this? I would love to build my own one of these days as a project.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ummmm built a couple of rods...no real background. one day i decided to do it so i built some basic jigs then went at it with the help of my local tackle shop, Highwater Tackle.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The 3106 LB with a good CP is my all-time favourite drift rod. I built mine with a "W" fitting and the reel seat sports my Milner Talisman. Nothing more enjoyable to fish with or fight fish with.

That is a top notch build fishey. A collectors piece to hand down through the generations. Beautiful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts