BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor just caught a 35lbs spring in the Fraser up in Chilliwack... where are these damn fish in the chuck right now? anyone? anyone? bueller?

No, seriously, does this mean the Tyee's are milling around at the mouth of the Fraser now? This will be my first year fishing the harbor, so if anyone can let me know where I go for these pigs, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
There are tons of big springs lurking around the harbour and mouth of the Fraser this time of year.
I get them as by catch on the sox gear (usually on my short line) fairly often, I would think if you targeted them you could do pretty well.

Sr

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Do you know if it wad a red? Just wait until the massive Harrison whites start showing up. Hog heaven.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
DF.......out around the mouth of the river (that's where they're all headed;)) ....off the Point Grey area.....along West Van....English Bay.....but out around the Bell Buoy has a tendency to be one of the better areas. The one thing to remember out there......it "can" be real hit and miss when chasing the springs. When the bite is on.....it's good.....when it's not, you'll see the whole fleet out of the Bell Buoy and hardly a net raised at all.

And yes....the Harrison whites are big fellas.

Everyone has "sox" on the mind right now........but there are definitely springs out there. My buddy got a 22-24ish on Sunday morning by the Bell Buoy along with a couple of sox. (make me sad as he and his brother are somewhat clueless....and I had to take a ribbing for getting nothin' last night). If I recall correctly dmurph got a tyee out there a week or so ago as well.

I don't know about other guys but when going for springs (and their are ho's out there too) I usually run bait. You may find as well when going for the springers you may want to lengthen out your leaders.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I picked up one just shy of 30 recently, off T10 on sockeye gear with a 22" leader. When fishing the Bell for springs, I usually go with bait on a 6' leader. However, one of my standbys for that area this time of year is a full-size hot pink hootchie with glow stripe down each side. I have heard some local guides refer to it as a "Papa Smurf", though I have no idea why. It has been a good producer for me over the last few years. My leader length for hootchies this time of year is from the tip of my fingers (outstretched arm) to my sternum.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes, there are Springs out there but too many people put out 2-4 rods with the same (pink) hoochie, the same length leader on each and stagger them by 20 feet, then troll around, drink their beer, get fish or get skunked..
That's OK when you know where they are, but does no good when you're searching.
Mix it up!
When searching (particularily this time of year) put some bait or a white hoochie or... on your bottom line/s.
Most weekend warriors (no one wants to admit they might be one) tend to drag the same thing around for hours; occasionally changing depth.
They also troll the same peice of bait till they catch a dog or the scales are in Portland.
If you're gonna fish and want to be productive; Don't be lazy, otherwise it's just a boat ride with a wish; which will probably come true with the amount of fish out there, but next year you'll be wondering "What's goin' on?" " "I did so well last year".
NO! you were lucky last year 'cuz it was harder not to catch a fish.

(directed at the masses not anyone imparticular, Just tired of hearing the whining at the tackle shops, gas docks........)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I targeted Springs last year, they are out there, just have to be patient and work for them. Arm truck hoochie and Army truck anchovie head seemed to do the trick for me last year. Got 1 good one every time out last year, ranging from 18-35 LB's

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've managed two decent springs the last two trips, one today my wife caught was 13lb... which is good.. .and makes me smile.. but I want a fish I can't hold up with one hand....

·
Registered
578 Posts
My neighbor just caught a 35lbs spring in the Fraser up in Chilliwack... where are these damn fish in the chuck right now? anyone? anyone? bueller?

No, seriously, does this mean the Tyee's are milling around at the mouth of the Fraser now? This will be my first year fishing the harbor, so if anyone can let me know where I go for these pigs, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Ya these pigs run June to October plus or minus
I hooked my Tyee in mid Aug. 4 years ago & a whitey 2 boot, just before the red can @ the north arm
My dad landed a 45lb red between the QA & the north arm in the 80's in late Sept. on a dodger & a pink & white cuttle fish hoochie.............and to this day I have never topped his fish, even me fishing Hakia & most of the WCVI

One key that I noticed is a bonus fish'n the mouth of the Fraser, monitor the tides and the area they hang around, I approach this in a few ways, @ high or low slack, they mill all over & spread out, but when the tide starts move'n the fish is motivated to hit the mouth, north or south arm & more likely to bite!!

But hay who knows, one day your luck will come..............nothing ventured nothing gained. Just gotta put your time into it !!!
Any chuck caught fish is 10 fold better than A FLOSSED quarry
K

·
Registered
745 Posts
Looks like the whites are starting to show up in more numbers on the Fraser.... Out with my son last week and of the four springs we caught/saw caught, three were whites!

I enjoy the whites as long as they are under 25(ish) pounds.... great on the BBQ!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey Damnfish..if you're still wanting help on this send me a PM. As for the "big brutes" of the Harrison, a lot of people calling these fish "brutes" are calling 32 lbers 40 lb fish and 25 lbers 35 lbers. The mouth of the Fraser requires patience...and HOURS of fishing. Get ready to spend lots of time out there..but you got "lots" of hours out there this past season. The number of true "monsters" is less than 2% of the entire return up the Fraser.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, I had a great year, and for my first year fishing for anything other than trout, it was spectacular!

I put more sockeye in the freezer than I'll ever eat myself, I traded 1/4 of it for deer, elk and moose--I'm not sure when the last time I actually purchased meat at the super market.

I visited Tofino a couple times, caught some halibut, and some bigger chinook.

But the last few weeks of October were fantastic, although I only picked up 5 chinook.. All but 1 were over 25lbs, none quite hit the the tyee mark, but nothing is better than being in the middle of a wack of boats, with a huge fish on, all by yourself.

I'm looking forward to this year, just got myself a camper/truck and will be spending a lot of time on the island.

DF!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I'm looking forward to this year, just got myself a camper/truck and will be spending a lot of time on the island.

DF!
Good on ya DF........we'll have to queue up some WCVI time! I already know my first crack over there is going to be mid to late May...it may be early as last year was so-so but 2 years ago it was HOT.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It's definitely challenging fishing for these springs as they are no longer actively feeding. Most of the fish are taken by flossing on the Fraser...and Native Drift Nets. A few are caught by barfishing with Spin 'n Glows, but they are the exception and not the rule.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thats illegal FYI...not that I give 2 sheets

Next time... you gave your buddies some sockeye.... And they suprised you with a visit and gave you some deer, elk and moose :thumbup:
I traded it with my dad, so I skirt those regulations quite lawfully. --but I hear you.. I'll choose my words more carefully next time.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good on ya DF........we'll have to queue up some WCVI time! I already know my first crack over there is going to be mid to late May...it may be early as last year was so-so but 2 years ago it was HOT.
Scott, I'm in man!!! I'm planning on spending 8 to 10 weeks on the island with the sole purpose of fishing my ass off!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Yes....no one wants to see anyone lose their arse....but if you ARE going to do it, it may as well be fishing. ;) :p

DF.....let's look into some WCVI action. I can get a killer deal on an awesome house in Tofino for the "family" rate. Beautiful house right on the beach.

ANd then....the 35lbers will be a reality!! :peace:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts