BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what kind of lines I should have for my 3 wt. Just started fishing with it last weekend and love how light it is, and I have just a floating line, and I was wondering if I need any others like a sink tip, or is it common with the lighter rods to just have the one line...still learning but thats all the fun right!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If you want to use a sinking line or a sinking tip on it, I think you can, making sure the line wt matches the wt the rod is designed to fling. I'd love to go nymphing with a 3wt!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Believer, I use a couple of different lines for my 3wt's. I have the Loop Opti-creek and Opti-stream lines. On one of my Opti-stream lines I looped the end and can use poly leaders for sink tips. Or just Use looped tapered leaders, this system has been working real well for me. I haven't bothered with a sink line as I just haven't found a need. Most of my water is either top water or less than 3-4feet under. :thumbup:

The best thing about this line is it roll casts and spey casts amazingly well. And can turn over weighted flies with alot less effort. I started with the Rio selective trout but found it too light and too subtle a taper.

What rod you tossing? :confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas...I got a echo for christmas and have just been out once with it...so far I have found it alot easier to cast for such a light rod as I thought it would...I have an orvis reel and floating line, and was looking at maybe adding an intermediate sink or a sink tip. I just fish in small lakes with it with micro leaches, and will try chromie fishing this year with it as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.