BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally got our 55 coho eyed-eggs last week. They're sitting in our classroom tank, at about 5 C. According to the ACU count, they should hatch around March. And they will be released into the Nicomekl around April/May. :happy:

The only thing we're missing is a nice redd, so that the alevins can hide by. I totally forgot about that. Ha, I need some small river rocks. :peace:

I actually like to release them as late as possible, to get them nice and big, to increase their chances of survival. I even up the temp, towards the end, to get them nice and plump! The hatchery guys couldn't believe how huge our coho were last spring, haha:) I just can't go too far off with the temp, as they would get a shock getting into the river. :naughty:

The more schools get involved, the more we can make a positive impact on our kids, the environment, and the salmon runs as well. :thumbup:

Will try and post pics up soon, and as we progress. I know some on the board here have shared an interest on this, so thank you! :beerchug:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good luck with the class project please keep us posted and add some photos of them if you can!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey that's awesome my grandpa Larry Ramsell grows Coho out in the White Rock area.  He's been doing it for years, and they usually get the kids to help in moving the fish when they are about 6-14" from the pond back to the stream.  The kids love it, and it gives gramps a chance to show how the fish cycle goes and what we can do to help.  It's a great progam, your's sounds equally inspiring and educational, keep up the good stuff!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thats so cool how u guys are doing this. Back when i was in grade 5 i think in williams lake we raised sockey and released them into the river up there its was fun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes that is great to here these projects are still going.I worked on the maplewood farm project in the start on the seymour river loved it.I was in grade 6 and 7 was great.Unfortunatly it is a bust now from what i have seen.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! It's indeed fun and rewarding. Will snap some pics this week of our set-up. Hopefully have it on here soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Augie, my work is actually looking into monitoring a local creek that runs through our property, improving and restoring it( if needed). We are looking at all options involved in improving this gem of a creek including the possibility of raising fish for release. I believe this creek drains into the Salmon River which is an index river so this may not be an option for this particular creek (have to find out where it drains into, don't remember the name off hand) but it is located off Rawlison Crescent in Fort Langley. After talking with the managers and director, I have convinced them this will benefit us as well as the community. Although we may not be able to release into the creek on our property we are more than willing to become involved in raising the fish for local streams and rivers as well, and the Nicomekl is only a few minutes down 232nd. I personally will be undertaking the project so any information on how to get involved, equipment needed or general info would be greatly appreciated. I will be taking the Streamkeepers Course offered through the Pacific Streamkeepers Federation and have contacted L.E.P.S. to find out more.Currently we get thousands of people a year going through on guided tours, including hundreds of school children every year. My thoughts are to have a display in our visitor centre and have it as part of our tour to discuss the importance of protecting local creeks and species. Currently we are involved in many release projects including local projects like the Vancouver Island Marmots, and Oregon Spotted Frog (which are only found currently at the Aldergrove DND base and Maria Slough). Any information or help from yourself or others on getting started would be greatly appreciated, and I can be contacted via email or pm.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thats very cool.

Im finishing my teacher training right now through UBC and id love to do somehting like that when i get my own classroom as I love fishing and i have years of experience keeing tropical fish (including a reef tank) in my house.

One quesion though... what do you feed them?

Would love to see the pics of the setup and when they hatch.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is a cool program.
In grade 7 we got 55 coho eggs, hatched and raised them. Everything went very well and releasing them into Clayburn Creek was exciting, however, there was a pretty bad chloramine spill a couple weeks after we had released them and apparently everything was killed. :(

·
Registered
279 Posts
Way to go Augie :thumbup:. Very cool program, cant wait to see the pics. It would be great to have a how-to guide on getting a little project like this started elsewhere. If you have time to tell us where you got your supplies and the methods you use it may be very beneficial.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What a great initiative! Not only will this get the children involved in the environment it seems they will also be exposed to our great pastime of sport fishing. You truly are molding our future, keep up the great work.
Also, what grade(s) do you teach?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Definately keep us posted with pictures. I remember raising coho eggs in our classroom back when i was in grade seven. My daughter is in grade one and went to the chilliwack hatchery in the fall and learned about the salmon cycle. She was so excited to tell me all about it and ask what species i fish for after learning about them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys. Thanks again for all the great and positive feedback! :thumbup: I had a crazy week, so I haven't been online that much this week. So I'll try and answer all the questions that were asked.

We did already have one mortality so far. An alevin hatched two months early. Don't know why. Bev (our director), says that it's also been happening with other classrooms in other schools. Might be just a bad batch. If it gets worse, we're told we'll get new eggs from the Tynhead Hatchery (Serpentine R.)

Oh, and by the way, I'll be taking some fresh pics of our set-up this week, and will post them asap! Sorry about the delay. As you can imagine, teaching a bunch of hormonally-charged junior high kids, it's never a dull moment, and I'm constantly on my toes, it's a workout!

Anyways...I'm excited about this, because we need more public involvement, help, and support. The schools are helping some, but to make a bigger impact, we need all citizens to help. Perhaps some business offices, even homes. The sky's the limit. I just don't know how DFO will feel about all this in a greater scale. They should be in favour of it.

salmonhunter and steely_crazy: I got started with the SEP - Salmon Enhancement Society (Salmonids in the Classroom). It's nice because since it's for education, all supplies are ususally free! But I don't think this program is limited to strictly classrooms. It depends what district you're in. If there's a surplus of gear, and the stuff is collecting dust in the DFO storage, like I seen in PG, then they should help you get started.Whenever I get a job at a different school, the first thing I do is make phone calls to the local SEP. It's a passion of mine, so I do that right away. I also did it on Van Is and in McBride, near Pr. George, in the headwaters of the Fraser R, near Tete Jeune, actually. We get a tank, a cooling unit, and filters, feed, etc. We usually have to get our own water test kits and water solutions and treatments, etc. I can PM you guys some contact info, and maybe that can get you guys started on a project.

salmonhunter: Our school has the Salmon River running by the property, in Aldergrove. I originally wanted to help augment the stream with Nicomekl coho stock a few years ago. But they said a big no no. They're doing an experiment with wild coho there. But I do take my kids on hikes along the Salmon, and we do clean-ups, etc. Since we're in the Langley School District, they're keeping us with the Nicomekl Program. I think you have an awesome idea and vision there. Keep that alive for sure. I know a dude who has a group strictly for the Salmon River. I'll forward his email to you. He holds meetings at his house, but I've missed them. But yes, if we can help out our local "forgotten" stream, that would be great!

Funeral of Hearts: I feed them anything from a fish-meal-type feed, to ground-up krill. It depends what district you're in, it varies. The DFO supplies it, mostly.

northshoresteel: I teach 7-9 English right now. But I have the 7's for Science as well, which covers the BC Curriculum on the salmon and ecology.

Thanks again guys. I'll get to work on my jobs for some of you, and we'll chat again!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's some of the info I said I'd add for those who were interested. I know I said that I'd PM, but this was easier, sorry. But hey, it doesn't hurt if this gets out! I think it was pretty much salmonhunter and steely_crazy and Funeral of Hearts, that wanted info. But hey, if some more of you are interested in this sort of thing, great...the more the merrier! :thumbup:

If you hit roadblocks along the way, don't give up, there are always options...if not directly, then at least you can help indirectly.

doug mcfee ([email protected]) - He's the dude that heads the Salmon River Society. (for salmonhunter)

http://www.salmonidsintheclassroom.ca/ (for steely_crazy)

Actually, steely_crazy, you might get more success through the DFO, as the website above is for classrooms. But, that website has all the info you asked for, for the most part. That could be a start, but again, Bev deals with just classrooms and schools.

I do have a small theory, that I'm sure DFO or related cohorts don't want much people to know about, because of things, paid by tax $$" , being stored away. I'll share some info. But if I suddenly go "missing," you know why. :happy: haha!

Some of the smaller towns in BC, with salmon bearing streams, with former school that had this program...many of these schools may be shut down, because of the shortage of enrollment. There are a few DFO storage houses that may have a surplus of tanks and cooling units. (I've seen this up in Prince George). There wasn't tons of gear, but enough to make me "think."

I think the trick is to start an organization if you don't have one yet. They may be hesitant about private groups. Then make calls and inquiries and requests. You can look up the DFO website and get all the local DFO areas, and go from there. Just tell them what you want to do. The key is to have this organization, so that you may acquire it for free. The cooling unit itself is about $1,000 or so. The tank is just a standard fish tank, about 20 gallons or so. You need a good filter, and clean fine gravel, not treated gravel. And some river rocks (small) for a redd, but they need to be boliled first. But the key thing is the cooling unit. And if it breaks, it's not cheap to fix at times. Even with our classroom, if it breaks, we have to fix it with our tab. And we have a private school, so no budget for this program or gov help, so my students all brought in $3 to help with costs. They're awesome!

Anyways, I hope this helped somewhat. I'll do my part and make calls. If I hear about more news, I'll let you know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts