BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on the news the other day a 72pd spring taken at Sonora Lodge near Campbell River! Wow what a whooper,the angler said he is going to mount it for his wall. Maybe one of the members can post a link up here for a pic of this magnificant specimen and then we can all debate wether it should have been killed or not.::)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Can someone please explain how a salmon even gets this big? I know it must seam like a dumb question, but did this fish just choose not to spawn? It must be at least 8 years old???

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think that fish is probally a 4 or 5 yr old fish and had access to alot of feed in very favorible enviromental conditions to grow to such a large size.As well it had good genes and came from a strong gene pool from wherever it was spawned. A fish of a lifetime for that angler and will look great on his wall.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can only imagine how much fun that would be, did it say anything of how the the fight was, it must have been a long one. I think you'd need to gaff me once I got it to the boat as I'd be flipping out more than the fish haha

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Can someone please explain how a salmon even gets this big? I know it must seam like a dumb question, but did this fish just choose not to spawn? It must be at least 8 years old???
A few rivers (mostly up north) have a small component of their run as 7 yr olds.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Ya that one is big. As far as keeping it....personally I would not,but it's a free world and some people don't want to settle for just a picture. Anyone tell us what that will cost to taxidermy?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good gene. Too bad he killed it (assuming he didn't have to beacuse it was bleeding or hooked badly)...... THere arent many on that side anymore. With how well you can get a replica mount done , there is no reason to ever bonk a fish for mounting anymore.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The going rate for taxidermy is 25 dollars an inch the last time i checked. My 30 pd tyee i have on my wall is 43 in long, so times 25 it would come out to 1075 dollars plus taxes! I dont know the length of the 72 pd? Fortunately for me i have a buddy who left a well known Taxidermist here in the Lower mainland and now works on his own so i have gotten a great rate.He recently did a large Bull trout for Dana Murzyn (ex canuck defenceman).

·
Registered
886 Posts
Good gene. Too bad he killed it (assuming he didn't have to beacuse it was bleeding or hooked badly)...... THere arent many on that side anymore. With how well you can get a replica mount done , there is no reason to ever bonk a fish for mounting anymore.
Could not agree more my friend. But that is just my opinion! :cheers: sage

·
Registered
415 Posts
It got big just the same way your Aunt Bertha got big. Never passing on a meal or, as she would like you to believe, 'gland trouble'.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Many folks staying at elite coastal resorts such as Sonora Island (do your research on this place), would be part of business groups and participating in company retreats and meetings. Fishing and wildlife tours are part of the draw and usual scheduled activities most will participate in. Bragging rights and small derbies are often involved in these scenarios. Most of these fishers are not like you/us. (avid and dedicated fishers thinking only about the betterment of the species in any small or large way possible) In the excitement of the moment, and once a fish like this is finally netted, I would bet the fish would be long dead prior to the guide being able to convince the party member to release it.
I am a subscriber to a BC fishing mag, and don't see any ads for coastal resorts where the image is not of the biggest spring a guest had caught with the resort logo in the shot. This is a huge part of the draw for their business.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, Conservation pc. OR Conversation pc.?
Conservation would be protecting and prolonging its genetic impact. (Imo)
Sorry man...i meant conversation pc...should check my spelling before i post. One day when im too old to fish i can look up on my walls and remember the good old days. Hoping for a big Pike to join the Spring and Steelhead.Havent caught one big enough yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts