BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently switched from mono to power pro line on my baitcasting reels. After catching several salmon, I noticed that the line has a tendency to dig into several layers under the spool and causes casting and backlash problems. I thought that this line may require more tension during the spooling process, so I stripped the line off the reel and respooled it with greater tension. It seems to cast allright now, but I haven't caught a fish yet to test this theory.
The problem is not in the reels themselves.

Has anyone had similar experiences?? Any helpful hints regarding the use of this line?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Have to disagree on that Tuff line and go with Power Pro. The main complaint I've heard and had with Tuff line comes mainly from use in the Fraser, it becomes water logged and doesn't cast worth beans, also retains silt from the water and acts like grinding compound on rod guides. Power pro has a coating which seals the braid so it doesn't pick up the silt. That said as this was about salmon fishing, you should have a base of mono before attaching any braid and make sure it is wound on tight. BTW I would use Tuff line for sturgeon only :) but I have stuck with Power Pro for a few years now and no I don't use braid anywhere else but the Fraser :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I prefer yellow Tuff Line XP it has a coating and is thinner than regular Tuff Line. I bought Power Pro once. I got a horrible birds nest, the line dug in so deep I had to cut it all off. I prefer yellow over green Tuff Line for casting far on the fraser because it's stiffer. I use braid for all fisheries. If I think stealth is required I will blood knot a top shot of mono. From a few feet to the length of a run depending on water clarity. I think it's a waste to spool a reel with mono because of its bad memory characteristic.

·
Registered
263 Posts
To spool my reels I use a stick that fits very snug in my spool and a friend to hold the spool and put thumb pressure on it. Or else I go somewhere that knows how to spool line properly and have it machine spooled. Once the line is already on the spool and I want to tighten it up really good I will tie my line to a rock unspool the line then reel it in nice and tight while walking slowly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
moro said:
I have recently switched from mono to power pro line on my baitcasting reels. After catching several salmon, I noticed that the line has a tendency to dig into several layers under the spool and causes casting and backlash problems. I thought that this line may require more tension during the spooling process, so I stripped the line off the reel and respooled it with greater tension. It seems to cast allright now, but I haven't caught a fish yet to test this theory.
The problem is not in the reels themselves.

Has anyone had similar experiences?? Any helpful hints regarding the use of this line?
Yes, Power Pro needs to be spooled on tight or you run into problems. For all the float fishing I do 15lb ultragreen all the way.

Cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
your problem with braid digging into it self is that the line must go on extremely tight. If your getting it spooled on a machine at a local store, the person should be wearing gloves and the line should be burning through them. Although, with crappy abu reels, pulling tight on the line can cause the spool to rub against the frame.

I find it hard to get it on tight enough without a line winding machine.

I have spooled probably a 1000 reels or more and am speaking from experiance.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyones input. I yhink the respooling with mopre tension will solve the problem. I also agree that on rivers of vedder size and under mono is a better choice since after using both on the vedder and north fork of the nooksack. As a side note I agree that the abu reels arn't the best on the market, but not bad for the money.

I use a pleuger president baitcaster for vedder or under rivers and a shimano 301 dsr for the frazier and white springs (if I'm targeting them) in the vedder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.