BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm new to this flyfish for salmon game (orig from Kamloops and only hit the stillwater).

So anyways, for some reason I chose 30# backing for my reel and I think capacity was 80 yards of 20# so I didn't put the full spool of 100 yard 30# on. the reel is pretty full (about 4-5mm from the rim) with the rio on it. I'm not sure actually, how much diameter diff there was between 20 and 30 lb backing though.

If i get into a 20-30 lb spring am I gonna be in trouble? Say... an average flow river.

thanks

· Banned
2,854 Posts
as long as you have some beach to chase the fish you should be fine. if you get a fish in that size range it might not matter how much backing you have LOL but in most of out coastal rivers you will be just fine. i have had only a few actually get into the backing and they were over 20lbs

· Registered
1,660 Posts
You'd rarely ever come close to having all that backing come off of your reel, but if you feel more comfortable with more backing, why not go with a gel spun line? Very thin diameter, and you'll be able to stuff a ton in there with your line. Just remember to let go of the line when the fish takes off and you get into your backing though...gel spun will cut skin like a hot knife through butter. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.