BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to get a new line for the 8wt. I already have three different sink tips, what would you buy if you had to replace your line? I use it mainly on local rivers for Salmon and stealhead, but we are going to Cuba in January and would like to take the 8wt along. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

· Registered
2,676 Posts
The biggest bang for your buck would be a multi tip system. Rio, SA,, Air Flo all make reputable products depending on your personal preference. An impotant note though. Be sure to rinse out the line well after wards. I personally would love to see some Bone fishing pics from Cuba!. :cheers:

Finder ;)

· Registered
1,660 Posts
I've never been to Cuba to fish, but I worked at a local flyshop years ago...

From what I've heard, I think whatever line you use here won't really be "great" for Cuba, although if you really wanted to, you could probably make it work. The biggest difference is the warm water temperature down there...it turns our lines, which are designed for cold water fishing, into super soft and limp noodles. This is why some companies offer a range of warm water lines (like the Bonefish taper from SA, I think), that work well for fishing the tropics.

I've also heard that a good clear intermediate line is one of the most utilized lines for fishing the flats. You'll be throwing some heavily weighted dumbell eyed flies, as well as some large wind resistant flies...so don't try and look for lines that are presentation oriented. Distance with a good belly is what you'll be wanting in a taper.

Having said all that...and having told you that I have never been there myself (yet)...take what I've said with a grain of salt. :) You best information will probably come from visiting your local flyshop where some of the trout bums may have gone there to fish themselves. I know that the guys at Sea Run go every year to fish for tarpon and bones in Florida...so they would have some great firsthand information for you. Good luck, and have fun!

Oh yeah...you'll most likely feel "undergunned" with your 8wt for most of your fishing down there. ;)

· Registered
14 Posts
rmpearson12 said:
Time to get a new line for the 8wt. I already have three different sink tips, what would you buy if you had to replace your line? I use it mainly on local rivers for Salmon and stealhead, but we are going to Cuba in January and would like to take the 8wt along. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Rio Outbound - For Cuba - get the floater and type 3 sinker. Thats all I have used in my last two trips down there, the Outbound allows for easy casting and blasting a fly 60 - 80 foot out into a breeze - is a breeze.

Regards
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.