BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, you read that correct :shock: ......Two boats, six guys, heavy rain, strong winds, and a heck of a lot of fish!!....We landed 18 sturgeon totalling over 90 feet. The largest one was an absolute monster at over 8 ft. The smallest to the boat was 42".....We got soaked, drank lotsa rum, had many laughs and everyone has sore arms today!! We caught 4 fish over 7 ft......Set a new "personal best" with a fish of 7ft. 2inches!! :D
By far the best sturgeon trip ever! Thanks to Dean Werk from Great River Fishing Adventures and the guides Greg & Dave we had an absolute blast!! Our boat lost the "biggest fish" award, but we caught more fish for the "total length" award.....Raised over $200.00 for our favourite charity at BC Children's Hospital......The "Cues for Kids Foundation".
I will forward a few pics to FishFinder with the hope that he will post for me.............Ortho 8)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Sounds awesome! I have never fished for sturgeon...I can tell by reports like these that I'm definitely missing out!!! It's near the top of my to do list...Can't wait to see those pics! :D
rib

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
ogobogo said:
what are we waiting for ribby???
let's go
Maybe that's what we should try and arrange for the fish out? I don't have any sturgeon gear, but we don't need a rod for everyone...just a glass and a chair for each of us, and enough bottles of macallan 18 yr to keep us warm... :wink:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have been wanting to head out for some sturgies, problem is getting another rod and reel past the fiancee :roll:

Ortho, sounds like you had a phenominal day! I can't wait until I can get out for some of those dino's, it sure would make for an interesting day to try for some Coho in the morning and then head out to do some strugie fishing!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey Rib, I don't have the gear either, but if you want to share a trip??? I've always found it to be a good investment to hire a guide, both to catch fish, and learn the spots, and the techniques, so that when the time comes to buy the gear, you're well ahead on the old learning curve. :D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gear for sturgeon is simple...Trophy one piece used....$40-50.00
Penn 320 reel spooled with 80# test..................................$140.00
Braided leader....................................................................$7.50
6 wts from 12-24oz..............................................................$8.00
12 size 8/0 or 9/0 hooks......................................................$16.00
Bait................whatever stinks..............................................$$$???
Total...............................................................................$$275.00

·
Registered
247 Posts
:D :D hey ortho sounds like you guys had a "whale" of a time. after all those fish maybe you try for some whale next HAHA

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Those are huge! Nice dinos! They sure must tire you out by the time your done playing em..... :lol:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Ogo'.......Some fine scotch will do that!!......It also keeps the arms from hurting so much...........Hey Rib'............A seven foot fish usually gets landed by three people taking turns on the rod cause it's kinda like having a tank on the end of your line......They go wherever they want!!........Ortho 8)

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Nice fish! I'm heading to Abbotsford at the end of January and will do my annual steelie thing on the Vedder but now I'm thinkng NO! How about Sturgeon? What are my chances of hooking up then if I hire a guide for the day?

G

·
1 Piece Tropphy rods for 45-50 bucks! WOW! I thought I got a deal with $95 when I bought locally, they normally run around $129.99

Mike <")))))><

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Used", Mike.."Used"......not new......... :wink: Ortho

·
Registered
78 Posts
oh man those are crazy huge, awesome boys, even tho i dont drink i bet my arms would have fallen off hahahahaha and a bottle of rum ;)
looks soo fun tho can i come sometime? definitly let me know ive neevr doe that before i can supply the digi cam ;) cheers boys :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts