BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic may also be titled "How to catch your first steelhead on the fly", or possibly "How not to catch your first steelhead on the fly". Hopefully it's not the later but only time will tell as I plan on documenting my trials, tribulations and hopefully success in catching the elusive steelhead on my fly rod!

Ideally noobs (like myself) to flyfishing for steelhead can follow my posts and share their own stories, techniques and successes or non-successes and not feel so bad! Veterans to steelhead fishing may just want to follow along and laugh! but hopefully also they will feel compelled through rememberance of their own journey learning the art of flyfishin for steelhead and share some sage advice acquired through the years.

Some recent history....

An avid fisherman as a teen growing up in Nanaimo, I took a ten year hiatus from the sport when I moved to Victoria for school and my fishing bug was replaced by a much greater surfing bug. Recently my fishing bug has returned and specifically flyfishing which I had never tried before until my Dad bought a cabin on an interior Lake a year or so ago and began flyfishing himself. I of course bought a nice little 6wt set up to try to catch some of the trophy trout on those interior lakes and had some success.

This summer I decided I wanted to try flyfishing on the island and decided I would buy a setup suitable for salmon and steelhead. After much research on what to buy that would be suitable for a variety of salmon as well as steelhead (mostly through posts on this site) I picked up an 8wt rod at a local flyfishing store. My first chance to use the new setup was a lower mainland river in late September, that will remain nameless, where I managed to catch my first Coho (in a river, and on a fly) of around 10lbs using a blue muddler. I also caught a few stale pinks at the Squamish that same weekend. With no real knowledge of the rivers on the South Island I stuck mainly to the Sooke River which is flyfishing only and also had the benefit of being only 30mins away and on the way to my surfing area. I managed to catch quite a few Chums but no Coho or Chinook. Having never caught a Chum before I was impressed by their fight, especially on a fly rod.

All this however was a warm up to my ultimate goal of catching a steelhead on a flyrod. To me this is the epitome of the sport in our local areas. I hope you enjoy the journey!

Coming Soon. "The Brief" for those who are interested in how I am going to catch a steelhead on a flyrod in my first year.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fishortho said:
Well, if what they say is true, you'll catch one on your next cast!!.............Ortho 8)
LOL! Thats a much better way to look at it. I had been thinking of the 99 bottles of beer on the wall song multiplied by ten but from now on I will think that my next cast will be the one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.