BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A “hot” day on the Fraser
as Told and Written by Ortho. :cheers:

Knowing that I might have trouble rousting myself early in the am after a big, meal, some great wine, and a terrific dinner with friends the night before, I have to admit, I was a bit crabby at 6am until I consumed my Starbuck’s, hooked up the boat, and finally hit the fresh air on the “big muddy” for some highly anticipated Friday sturgeon action. **

The run down the river from Mission was absolutely flawless as the morning sun rose over Mt. Baker. There is a lot less debris in the Fraser now and it has dropped 2-3 feet in the last few weeks, making the anchoring points a little less scary. We only saw one large tree in the river all day and did not have to make an exit, even from the fisheries test nets around Whonnock, who were netting a fair number of sockeye.**

The plan was to spend most of our time between Albion & Mission and hit the spots that traditionally, over the years have been productive when the Fraser is “on the drop” early in the summer. The baits of choice were a smorgasbord of frozen/fresh seafood, dew worms, some unmentionable very smelly parts & pieces. You don’t always have to use smelly stuff for sturgeon, but when they are not turning on to specific bait, it is sometimes best to try four different setups and see what happens. If you catch a fish on particular bait, add another rod with that offering, and if it clicks again, add all four to send a strong scent trail down the river....

After visiting a few spots, and some experimenting, we finally interested our first fish and was it ever a beauty. A strong hook set and no head shake will usually tell you the relative size of the fish. The more headshakes, the smaller the fish. In this case, no headshakes, and a quick exit from the bottom to the surface and a huge explosion of angry sturgeon on the surface really got us excited. After a 15 minute battle we said hello to this guy. **

The sun became an issue as the day went by and by high noon, it was really hot on the water. Keeping the lotion and the hat handy is always a good idea, as is a good supply of cold bevies. Trouble was, we spent little time sitting around, as the action was pretty steady all day long with 10 fish hooked and 7 landed. Of course, one we lost was HUGE!

Several other boats in the neighborhood landed some nice fish as well including a couple of fish in the 7 foot range. Two fish we caught were also in this range. Of course, here were also a few smaller fish like this healthy specimen. **

We all had a ball and our reconnaissance showed there are plenty of fish in the river at all the locations we visited produced sunburns and smiles for all the participants!......Hot fishing and weather, cold bevies and good fun!
That’s what summer on the river to me, is all about

Ortho :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Thanks for posting up the tory and pics for me Kevin..........much appreciated....Next Wed. we are hitting the lower Fraser around the Alex Fraser bridge. Tides are good and we're doin' it in a 12 footer!!..........My buddy lives on the river about 1/2 mi. away. I'll take more pics and learn to do it myself so I won't have to bug you anymore............Cheers... :beerchug:...Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Looks like you guys had a great day! Lots of sturgeon and BEAUTIFUL weather! What more could you ask for! Thanks for sharing your photos and your day! Hope to see you out there one day! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
LOVE IT! Thanks for your great report and photos Robert! I'm there on Aug 6 with Bent Rod and I am starting to get so excited I can't sleep! There's something about that river........despite the FN opening for sockeye where the DFO said, 'Take it easy fellas, don't go crazy only keep what you need. Maybe ask your members to 'ration?'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.