BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all you salt water fishing addicts.:thumbup:?????????
I am a bit lost as to where to, and what times to fish for Springs and Coho in the lower mainland. I grew up fishing the hole in the wall when I was very young and I am itching to get back into the salt water action.
I do not just want the info for a fast tip, as I really love to fish and do not mind putting my time in, as I have a 20foot custom weld jet and most of the gear but it has been a long time and could use some help in this department.
I would even like to swap a trip for a trip if one would be interested as we do allot of sturgeon fishing in the upper Fraser river
thanks for any info on this matter and look forward to any advice.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Mino.....you can fish for springs almost all through the year locally although the "winter" springs is a notably more difficult fishery.

As for the timing of the runs....if you were wanting to target the "returning" fish...you will get springs and coho's starting roughly in June but the action tends to pick up moreso into July and then right through to later September or into early October. Having said that....the months are pretty much a "general reference" as to timing.

There are the various runs of fish that you can target around the West Van Shoreline....the Bell Buoy and areas off Point Grey....down to the various "arms" of the Fraser, Sandheads, T-10, Coalports etc.

As I am sure you can appreciate......it can be hit and miss and you can't really predict the exact timing of the runs but those are kind of the months that are a loose guideline. Things "tend" to be a bit more in full swing through July and sort of "peaking" in August through to early September. Basically.....think anytime from June to the end of September as a "general reference". Then you just keep an eye out on the fishing forums to see when things are picking up! :p ;)

:peace:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi Minomasher.

What Pippen already said covers the time frames of most of the local runs. The "hole in the wall" area can be good in July for springs. Mouth of the Fraser can be good any time from April to Sept for springs. From April till June a lot of people target springs more in the open straight. Work the staight anywhere from the QA marker to a couple of miles off the south end of Bowen Island. You never know where you'll find these migrating fish at this time of year. When you do locate them the fishing can be quite good. For Coho most people work the Harbour targeting the Capilano river run. Those are the only Coho to target locally as they must be clipped for retention. Coho and springs in the harbour can be caught anywhere from Pt. Atkinson to the mouth of the Capilano River. Cap Coho may show as early as July, but the springs don't usually return to the hatchery until Sept-Oct. A lot of the fishing is concentrated off the mouth of the Cap at this time of year.

Do you have a kicker, and downriggers for trolling? I don't know if I'd want to work the mouth of the Cap using a jet drive. Might not be able to control the boat enough in there. It can be quite the zoo for boats there when there's fish around.

Give us a shout if you have any further questions, and good luck to you.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi Mno.

Got your PM, nice hearing from you. I'll respond here if you don't mind. Some of the info other people might like to know so better to post here. The QA Marker is located a few miles west of the north arm of the Fraser. You will find it marked on any chart or Chartplotter GPS unit. It is a good place to try in the spring or summer. The QA is a large yellow marker. A few other local markers that are worth fishing around are the bell buoy and the QB marker. The belly buoy is a large red marker off Point Grey with a bell on top. The bell buoy can be good fishing any time of year, and is one of the best bets during April - Sept. The QB marker is located in the middle of the harbour on the edge of the shipping lane. Around the QB and the south side of the harbour can be good fishing at times as well.

You mentioned that you have some of spoons and plugs. Spoons fish well in the local waters, but plugs don't really seem to have consistent success. Most of the springs during the summer are caught on Anchovies in a teaser head fished 6-7 feet behind a flasher off the downriggers. In addition I would suggest an assortment of hoochies, which fish well locally at times. You can ask for recommendations on what works best on the forum, or go to a good local retailer that you trust for their recommendations.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Heya..I've done quite a few write ups here and there about this subject. I'll put out the abbreviated version.

Here is a good video link to krippled/jdf heads: roll should look similar to this...however the rhys davis version is better and gives you better action with well brined bait.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZxe4Tqldms

Here's a reasonably demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4fY5SzlDdo&feature=related

It should NOT look like this--this guy should be shot---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxSZMNsRos&feature=related

And...one other tip.....

GET OUT AN FISH!!!!! Make it a point to fish around the tide changes...high or low and forget about this "first light" bull unless it's late August or September and you're fishing a river mouth.

If all else fails....book 3 charters with BonChovy Charters... www.bonchovy.com and you'll observe some techniques.

April/May for feeders

Late June/July for Cohos off West Van

August/Sept. for Big Springs. Mid-late August for Sox.

and......see you on the water!

Tight lines!

Reactions: Mayne Squeeze

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Heya..I've done quite a few write ups here and there about this subject. I'll put out the abbreviated version.
Another great tutorial FM :thumbup:....and having seen a "few" of yours in the past; this is "abbreviated" but gives a person an OUTSTANDING starting point. Hats off to you as your replies seem to be some of the most thorough put on here. :peace:

Mino....I would also take some time and search back for threads from even last summer about the local Vancouver saltchuck. There have been some great threads on this forum in the years I have been around with a TON of info for fishing the local scene.

·
Registered
206 Posts
agreed

Agreed great tutorial , FM I would like the unabbreviated version please. I took up fishing last spring with my wife and like FM said we put the time in and came away skunked for what seemed like a life time. We were pretty determined and stuck it out fishing sun up to sun down. I was off cowan pt by my self when I had my first strike. I was so new that running the boat and all the gear was a real mission and south bowen seemed really far away at the time . Now that I actually had a fish on a whole new learning experience was at hand, I didn t even know what to do exactly I let the fish play awhile and had it to the boat several times before two seals grabbed it and devoured it . I know now after catching many fish all sumer and fall that first one was a real nice fish , I still think of that one and have a photo of it and the seals in my profile . Every thing I know I have learned from this forum and the local guides , I still have so many questions , but this site has sure gotten me into to some nice fish . Keep the info coming guys and good luck out there minomasher ,it was April last year when I first hand a hook up off south bowen so get out there soon .

·
Registered
461 Posts
These are some of my favorite hoochie colors for Coho & Springs in the Vancouver area.

The letter G signifies a glow hoochie. The letter O signifies an Octopus size hoochie. The letter N signifies an Needlefish size hoochie. MP signifies a Mini Plankton size hoochie. The letter R signifies a red slash on hoochie eyes. The letter L signifies a Mother of Pearl coating on hoochie.

Radiant Hoochies: Glow below - Octopus & Needlefish sizes

Golden Bait Hoochies: Found at Nikka and others - most commonly used color codes

Octopus sizes:

Glow - OG55R
Glow Amy Truck - OG60R
Glow Green Splatterback - OG142R
Glow Green Stripe - OGX14R
Blood & Bones - Non glow - OMX1R
Blood & Bones - Glow - OGX1R
White - O11R or OAL12R or OA12R or OA167R

Needlefish sizes:

Glow Green Splatterback - NG142R
Glow - NG55R

Mini Plankton sizes: Good for Coho, Springs, Pinks. Sockey & Chum

Pink Mini - MP15

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes Big Guy....those are the staples the newbies should have in the box if they're into hoochies. Good summary.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks Fm, I enjoyed your summary as well. Hopefully, the tips from everyone will get the guys just starting out pointed in the right direction.
Well..we'll see what happens here. It has been very very quiet the last while out there...not even "undersize" action. All these SE winds aren't going to help things either....however....I'll betcha the East Coast of Vancouver Island...Thrasher, Gabriola, Entrance et al. is going to have some great action coming up very soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.