BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cheers:Hi all --- sorry to bother you all, with another question,
But I have a uncle that would like me to take him and his long time friend up through the scookum chuck and around to the Sechelt bay and porpus bay. would / or have any of you traveled through this area befor ,and if so could you give me any good tips to make this trip a smooth one.
He would like to do this ,as like one of the things on his bucket list ,before it's to late.-------I would really appreciate any help or info for this area,you can pm me ,or phone me -at 604-820-4991-----and again thank you very much for all your help in advance.:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
111 Posts
The trail into the Skookumchuck Rapids is well maintained and not too difficult. It takes the better part of an hour from the parking area to the main viewing area and Roland Point is about another ten minutes. The best viewing is during big ebb tides so you will want to check the tide book for the best times. There is ample parking on Egmont Road but this time of year it can be quite busy.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts

I dove in Skookumchuck Narrows some years ago. You haven't said what kind of boat you will be using. We went through at dead low slack in a 55ft sailboat. It was still running at about 6 knots and there were whirlpools. If you are not experienced I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ooops, guess I read that wrong I assumed you were going to walk in. But as has been mentioned if you aren't experienced with these rapids they can be dangerous with current reaching 30km/h.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Yup.....be very careful when running the rapids and look at your tide tables. I saw the video that argh posted above a year or so ago and it shows what it can be like in there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys thanks for the replies on my up coming trip, and yes we are in a 20ft
custom weld jet, but then I have never run the rapids , I have been in some really bad weather and water conditions, but I am not a big risk taker, and I will be with my uncle ,now hitting 80, but is very healthy but still would not want to have any thing happen to him.
I am thinking of running up the out side as my charts will help with fueling stations & lodging.
(-----arrgh-----) thanks for the vid never seen any thing like that makes me think twice!! thanks
I will take all the info you can feed me as to make this a good trip for him.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
mino....

You can get through there with relative ease.....just look at tide tables for the area and time it at slack. It will make for your ease of mind and your "guests" comfort.......and keep your uncle from killing you. ;)

This is not "always" the best idea but if you are waiting on the slack and see a boat headed in through the narrows/rapids, watch them if you can from a bit of a distance and gauge for yourself.

But as I keep saying.......get some tide charts or you can pretty much find them online as well. :peace:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Egmont Marina and Bathgate's General Store (at the head of the Government Dock in Egmont) post the times of slack water for the narrows. They are good stopping-off spots to get picnic snacks and fuel, and each has a liquor outlet. There is also a pub at the Egmont Marina (The Backeddy Pub). Also, both have cabins/accomodation for rent. I have no idea about the quality of the accomodation, but each has a website you can look into.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts